corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » My PC is broken again....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My PC is broken again....
C2RL R

User status: Offline
27th Jun 09 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a bit numb when it comes to computer stuff so i could do with some help diagnosing the problem...
the PC seems to boot up as normal but i'm getting no picture on the monitor at all. i just get the usual message saying there is no input signal. i've tried another monitor just to rule that out and it made no difference. is my mother board fubared or could it be something else? The only other thing i've spotted that is different is when i hit the power button the pc turns off instantly, before i had to hold it in for a couple of seconds to turn it off. i don't know if that will help to diagnose the problem but it's just something i've noticed.

any ideas?
John

27th Jun 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume that it's integrated graphics on the motherboard?

Does the system sound like it's booting into windows, does the hard drive make any noises, any windows startup sounds etc?
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm not sure about the graphics card John tbh, any quick way to check it? like i said i'm pretty thick when it comes to computers.
i'm not getting any startup noises at all, and i can't hear the hard drive making noises either.
just before it went tits up the screen saver was on... i moved the mouse and the desktop came up but it was very dim, then loads of green spots appeared. then it just went black.
John

27th Jun 09 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's built in the vga port will be beside all the usb ports and ethernet port etc, if its a seperate graphics card it'll be on its own further towards the bottom.

If you are getting nothing at all it's sounding like a hardware fault, the only way you can find out is to start removing bits or even better swapping if you have any available.

See how many memory sticks you have, swap them between slots and one stick at a time.
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like it's a seperate graphics card mate. i can probably "borrow" some parts from work so should i start with the graphics card then?
Seany

27th Jun 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

something similar happened to me a few weeks back, a new graphics card sorted it out.
John

27th Jun 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I originally said graphics card because you were talking about the monitor but there's not really anything to suggest it's that.

It's as good a place to start as any though.
Cavey

27th Jun 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

might be worth trying to reset the cmos as well.

could be something as simple as that.
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't know how to do that mate, is it easy?
Cavey

27th Jun 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was hoping john would jump in...

Open up the machine when it's off, there should be a bit on the motherboard where there's 3 prongs, 2 covered with a plastic bit, and something along the lines of "reset bios" or "clear cmos" near it.

Unplug the power cord, move the plastic bit from prong 1 + 2, the 2 + 3, plug it in, power it up, it should turn the fan once and do nothing, unplug again, put it back on 1 + 2, plug in and turn on again.

Should put it back to standard settings, and might sort stuff out.

It's relatively easy to do, just explained badly and long windedly by me above

[Edited on 27-06-2009 by Cavey]

C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll give that a whirl then.
Cavey

27th Jun 09 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS explained like i have, but more structured
John

27th Jun 09 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it can be different on every board.

It techincally can solve some problems but the only time i've ever come across it fixing anything is when i've overclocked too far.
Cavey

27th Jun 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had problems which i've had no idea with on mine, reset the bios and it worked all right, so worth a try, it can't do any harm anyway.

Could be as simple as something overheating for some reason, if you reset everything to lowest settings it'll rule that out at least.

If it was the graphics card it'd still start up and probably beep a few times, so i agree with john there "I originally said graphics card because you were talking about the monitor but there's not really anything to suggest it's that." that bit
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've read through that guide and it says to turn the rocker switch to the off position. then change the jumper over to the 2/3 position. then hit the power button on the front. the thing is, it doesn't say to turn the rocker switch back on before hitting the power button. so how do i know if it has actually reset? i know there is a battery on the motherboard so do i not need the mains power on to reset the bios?
Cavey

27th Jun 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn off, change jumper, turn on, press power, it should do nothing, turn of, change jumper back, turn on again, power on again should hopefully work.

If not, turn off, unplug battery, turn on again press power, should boot up if it's working, turn off, plug battery back in, rocker switch on and power on again. The battery is the easiest way to make sure the bios is getting reset. (think that's right, it's been a while since i've done it)

This might not sort anything as i said before, but it's relatively easy to try

John

27th Jun 09 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Different boards work in different ways, some you swap the jumper then press the power button, some you just swap it then swap it back, some you take the jumper off.
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've tried every different way and it hasn't worked. looks like it's a hardware issue then. cheers for the suggestions though.
Sam
Premium Member

27th Jun 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only skimmed through this thread so not sure if it's already been suggested - but have you tried removing the video card and reseating it properly on the motherboard? Or are you using the video port built into the motherboard?
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i've tried that and it didn't work mate.
kz

27th Jun 09 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

System restore?
C2RL R

27th Jun 09 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck
Premium Member

27th Jun 09 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
System restore?

Aye what he'll do is use gut instinct to find the control panel without a monitor
oceansoul

28th Jun 09 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried booting in to safe mode?

mine did this once. for some reason the graphics card out put had changed from vga to svhs so as soon as windows loaded it went to svhs.

Booted in safe mode which forced it to use vga aand managed to reset it to vga(monitor) then reset to normal windows and all was fine

[Edited on 28-06-2009 by oceansoul]
John

28th Jun 09 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's not getting anywhere near it accessing the hard drive to start loading windows.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll