corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wedsite design

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wedsite design
Daimo B

User status: Offline
10th Jun 09 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a noob with it...

Want to create a site, with a forum. Got lots of notes and reading on HTML/XHTML, CSS styles etc.. Its a basic forum, similar to say Migweb or something. Thats kinda what i'd like to create with its main website at the front, and a forum as part of the site...

I've got the W3schools website, and lots of nots on building the site, structure etc (fine with that, its the coding im find hard to write, as im not a coder)..

But im guessing to actually write a forum will take forever... I know many sites use the PHP forum software, but is it available to download/at a cost???

Whats Ian write this on? Thought the forum was still a php download thats been modified?

Ta
MJFF88

10th Jun 09 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of free respectable forum software out there, PHPBB3 probably being the best.

Really simple install aswell, I can help you with all that if you wish.
liamC

10th Jun 09 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need some hosting and a domain first of all.

phpBB is a downloadable forum, and is free.

Then it's just the website itself that you have to create.
Daimo B

10th Jun 09 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh right, no wonder I can't see the bugger....

I've got php installed, so really I should buy the domain name I want, get the database type details and get the forum setup.

The forums the first thing I want up and running... So main page, gallery, notes etc, Forum, and get that online.

Cheers, there may be a few more q's coming..
liamC

10th Jun 09 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once you've got the hosting set up all you do is drag the whole folder youve unzipped into the root of the directory and then go to www.domain.com/forumfolder/install/index.php and follow the on-screen instructions.

It sets everything up automatically.

You'll have to create a blank mysql database before you start the onscreen instructions, for it to write all of the info to, which is the bit I think you'll get stuck on.
MJFF88

10th Jun 09 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can sort you hosting and a subdomain if you wish
Daimo B

10th Jun 09 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got SQL at work I use to create a black db.. Also got it at home so using SQL would be better for me (easier to grasp any basics, but have a friend SQL coder).

Im just trying to sort a domain name (choose one) so will come back to you in a bit.

Cheers lads
GREG 1

10th Jun 09 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V Bulletin is your friend
ed

10th Jun 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get something open source, and stay away from VBulletin. Joomla would give you content management (pages) then you can add on a forum, plus loads of other things too if and when you need them. It's open source which means that all the software is free and can be modified by anyone which means that there are lots of possibilities for it. If you don't like Joomla you could do something similar with Wordpress or PHP Nuke.

If it's a forum only then you could go with PHP BB.

Be prepared to modify things like templates, or even better, create your own. There's nothing worse than a generic looking website using the default template. Hence my hatred of VB...
Bart

10th Jun 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Get something open source, and stay away from VBulletin. Joomla would give you content management (pages) then you can add on a forum, plus loads of other things too if and when you need them. It's open source which means that all the software is free and can be modified by anyone which means that there are lots of possibilities for it. If you don't like Joomla you could do something similar with Wordpress or PHP Nuke.

If it's a forum only then you could go with PHP BB.

Be prepared to modify things like templates, or even better, create your own. There's nothing worse than a generic looking website using the default template. Hence my hatred of VB...

Listen to these wise words... I was going to say exactly the same.
Joomla is an incredibly powerful platform and quite daunting at first but its not too difficult to get your head around.

http://www.payh.co.uk will offer domain hosting via Plesk which is one click setup for Joomla and PHPBB, no messing around with usernames/passwords, database names etc, just choose the web application and click install.

Highly recommended
Nismo

10th Jun 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also take a look at Concrete5 CMS,

Its a bit more basic than Joomla etc.. but very simple and very good if your starting out, can get check out a free demo on there site.

http://www.concrete5.org/
ed

10th Jun 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just started designing a template for Joomla, it seemed quite a daunting task when I first thought about doing it, but actually it's pretty simple!
Sam
Premium Member

11th Jun 09 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my websites using WordPress (CMS/blog type system) and phpBB (forums), both are free and easy to customise. When I actually get some spare time I will finish said site so it's fully integrated, probably in about 10 years time LOL!

New Poll