corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MP3's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MP3's
Daimo B

User status: Offline
18th Feb 03 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Un-educated and never bothered is about to get a CD/MP3 head unit. I mean, i've burned about 10 CD's in my life, cannot b arsed to sit there and download movies online etc.

So, whats the score on this MP3 stuff, what would i need to buy, wheres good to download, can u listen to the tracks b4 u DL them (Fcuk knows the tunes i like, i just know them all as Tunnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee ), is it all a case of plug it into the USB slot n start downloading etc.

Cheers.
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate all u do isdownload them from kazaa or where ever u get ur other songs from they automatically download as mp3s but only thing u do diff is when u come to buring the disc, dont do it a music cd do it as a data disc that way ur software doesnt change the file type to wav that way it uses loads more space up on the disc. so just do the disc as a data file n ur new all singing all dancing mp3 head unit will recognise them as songs like my new one does got 138 songson one cd

hope this as helped
Daimo B

18th Feb 03 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get my other songs from Virgin, HMV etc. I've never downloaded stuff in my life. Newbie to all this fancy music sh1te
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right in that case firstyly get kazaa then download mp3 media pack, then with that soft ware u can convert ur songs from hmv etc to mp3's !!!!
Westwood

18th Feb 03 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try winmx as well, i've just started downloading, sems pretty good
corsa_boy

18th Feb 03 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your best using kazaa lite
3CorsaMeal

18th Feb 03 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i download loadsa music at work, but they only get as far as where the comp puts em.
Kazaa is good, some tracks r shite quality and most r quite old.
Matty Hall

18th Feb 03 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never downlod tracks with a bit rate of less than 128k as they will be piss poor quality on a decent system.
a_hornett

18th Feb 03 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although if you get anything over 128 on kazaa, your more patient than most
Dan B

18th Feb 03 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the process of converting my entire CD collection to mp3 at the moment, it's up to 2Gb so far and I'm only up to the letter "C".
Daimo B

18th Feb 03 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Big_plans

right in that case firstyly get kazaa then download mp3 media pack, then with that soft ware u can convert ur songs from hmv etc to mp3's !!!!

So, download the software.

Convert my old CD's to MP3? Nooo, don't wanna do that, i'd rather play CD's.

I just wanna know what to do, downloading stuff. Can i listen to thetracks online b4 i download them.

Whats that about quality, just running a normal modem at home.

Is it just a case of downloading from the net straight onto some MP3 thing (what is it, a card, CD????) then i can just put em in the head unit and play?

I really am a novice when it comes to downloading net stuff. I just really aint interested in doing it. But it would be cool to play MP3's as well.
LoudCorsa

18th Feb 03 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

generally they take cd's that u burn with mp3s on them so you need to get about 600 mins worth of mp3 to fill a cd - so on your 56K modem that will take a while, you cant listen to them b4 downloading, i wud reccomend just getting 128 if u have only got dial up and then u litterally just use like easy cd creator to put the files onto a cd - if your head unit can read CD-RW that is prolly a better bet to save u wasting 90% of a cd's capacity.

chaz

www.woah.co.uk
a_hornett

18th Feb 03 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok. these are the things you need.

Kazaa from www.kazaa.com this is probably the simplest thing to use for d/ling mp3's. everything you download is stored in a shared folder created by kazaa on your hard drive.

get winamp, www.winamp.com, best player available in my opinion, simple to use, easily customised.

depending on the head unit you get, you should be able to just burn mp3's in their folders(you may want to put individual albums/compilations into separate folders), and access them using the head unit, newer ones might come with software but i doubt it.
a_hornett

18th Feb 03 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you may also want to consider musicmatch box, www.musicmatch.com i think, as this integrates all the ripping, burning and converting into one player
LoudCorsa

18th Feb 03 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.kazaalite.com is better as it dunt have the spyware / adware on it

chaz

www.woah.co.uk
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol u dont plug somit into ur head unit damo, u got to put the mp3 on to a disc, if ud rather listen 2 cds then why bother getting an mp3 player for ur car????

whole idea of mp3s is to have hours of music on 1 cd??

u seem to b very confused as to what "mp3" actually it mpeg-1 layer 3, all it is, is just an audio compressor, redcuers size of audio file!!
Daimo B

18th Feb 03 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i dont have a clue what an MP3 is, i said that earlier

HEad units got a 6 disk changer too. Pioneer 8400. Im gonna get it anyway, looks good
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay mate supp u dont really ned mp3 facilty with disc change!!!
a_hornett

18th Feb 03 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mp3's are cheaper (read as free), but, as with anything, you only ever get what you pay for......if the quality of the ICE in your car is high, the low quality of the mp3 tracks will be that much more apparent
Daimo B

18th Feb 03 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No point me downloading the stuff then as my ice is all expensive stuff (£250 per sub, £700 amp, £200 components etc) n only got a shitty net connection.

Ahh well, cheers neway. CD's are easy for me anyway.
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uve wasted my brains cells for nothing
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£500 per cell
a_hornett

18th Feb 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul_J

18th Feb 03 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right a Mp3 is a Mpeg Layer 3... Basically its just a file type, same as Word has .docs and Webpages are .html...

Its just a file name...

e.g. Songname.mp3

As Big Plan said, its just compressed audio - so it takes up less space than normal .wav (audio files) - and thus you can fit more on a CD.

If you have a MP3 Player then you can just save the mp3s onto CD and your head unit will play them... If like me you have a non Mp3 player but it recognises CD/RW cd's then I can copy the music I downloaded as a different file type onto my CD ... Down side is I can't store as many.

Average mp3 sizes are like 3 - 4 mbs... a .wav will be 40-50 mb for the same amount of music.

Since a CD is about 650 mb of storage - I can fit about 16 tracks on a CD when saving them normally. With MP3 I could probably fit closer to 160 tracks.

That is the advantage.

Basically to get the music, download something like Kazaa, then you simply do searches in kazaa for the songs you want.

So say you want Sclub 7 reach for the sky... you just search 'S club 7 reach for the sky'

It'll then come up with a list of results, you will notice some are different sizes, some have [+]'s next to them and some don't.

The different sizes are because of the different quality levels, 128 bit is normal CD quality, so I usually get that.

Then look for 1 with a [+] next to the name and click it to have a drop down list of how many people have that exact file. The more the better because you then have more people to download it off.

Once you've found the file you want that lots of people have, double click it and it'll begin to download. You can preview while downloading, so you can hear if its the track without downloading the whole lot.

Once its downloaded, you can play it, edit it, chuck it on a CD. Whatever.

Gee - Where were you when Napster was around? that was where most people got into mp3s...

Basically Mp3 = Free music ... thats all you need to know

Paul J
Big_plans

18th Feb 03 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheque will do damo

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » MP3's 24 database queries in 0.1879909 seconds