corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Network Media Streamers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Network Media Streamers
Doug

User status: Offline
19th Apr 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I currently have a Xbox crystal which I have XBMC on. I use it everynight to stream media shares over SMB from my main computer to a 19" Samsung in the bedroom.

I am looking for a new streaming solution that ideally will have XBMC on it. My criteria are as follows:

MUST:
Stream divx, .avi and maybe HD content
Have a sleep timer
Be QUIET

It would be nice if... :
it had WiFi built in
could stream iplayer, 4od etc
was cheap

I don't need storage in it. I am not planning on saving media too it. All the media will come from my shared folders on the network.

The solutions I can think of would be:

Apple TV with XBMC on it (I like the idea of this, does it have a sleep timer? wifi built in? Pretty quiet?)

or

Popcorn hour (I know NOTHING about these gadgets)

So what would people recommend for me?

Russ

19th Apr 09 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

360 now streams everything including divx not sure about hd, can pick them up for around 100, cant stream iplayer, wifi isnt built in though.

its quiet when the dvd drive isnt spinning
ash_corsa

19th Apr 09 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS3 wil stream iplayer, hd content etc..
Doug

19th Apr 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both the Xbox and the PS3 are far too loud for a bedroom imo.

Ideally I want a device without a hard drive in it as that will help to keep the noise down alot.

Thats why I was looking towards the likes of popcornhour and Apple TV
Russ

19th Apr 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they aren't loud unless the drives are working
Doug

19th Apr 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have one of the very first xboxes and I have to say thats pretty damn loud even when its playing a game thats been installed to the hard drive. Have they really improved now?
Russ

19th Apr 09 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ps3 would be a better option, and they are ery quiet while not using drive
drunkenfool

19th Apr 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant you save a bit of money by carefully placing some mirrors and turning the volume up a bit?
Doug

19th Apr 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GTF Matt
ash_corsa

19th Apr 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not keen on appleTV, installed one in a system we did not long ago and i didnt like it.

My xbox 360 was noisey as fuck but you didnt notice when playing a game!
My PS3 is silent, ive played it for hours and never heard the fan kick-in, but its very well ventilated.
Toby
Premium Member

20th Apr 09 at 15:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a networked media tank - google them
I have a Popcorn hour A110 (i think bart on here has one also)Me brilliant. there are a few media players in the NMT market place but the Popcorn hour is market leader - so much it can do and most importantly it is silent.
Have a look here
www.networkedmediatank.com to see all they are capable of
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6
they are a bit of a pain to get hold of becuase they are so popular.
I got mine becuase of its HD (video and auido) capabilities and the fact its silent.
Also for a hardware media player they are very capable as well as regular firmware updates. Have a look at the network media tanks on offer (about 8 or 9 of them) go on the nmt forum and you will see pretty quickly what they can and cant do.

[Edited on 20-04-2009 by CorsaB4ever]
TheCrow

22nd Apr 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont you just replace the cooling fan in the xbox and get a newer model hard drive for it. check out xbox scene forums, they have loads of info on how to do it!
Rob_Quads

22nd Apr 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xbox is not up to HD so if you looking for do that don't bother with that avenue
drunkenfool

22nd Apr 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
I have a Popcorn hour A110 (i think bart on here has one also)Me brilliant. there are a few media players in the NMT market place but the Popcorn hour is market leader - so much it can do and most importantly it is silent.
Have a look here
http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=6
I got mine becuase of its HD (video and auido) capabilities and the fact its silent.
Also for a hardware media player they are very capable as well as regular firmware updates. Have a look at the network media tanks on offer (about 8 or 9 of them) go on the nmt forum and you will see pretty quickly what they can and cant do.

I hope they are good cos I just bought one!
Bart

22nd Apr 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DrunkenFool / Doug, the PCH is amazing... well worth every penny.

When it arrives drop me an email barteh_@_gmail_dot_com (without the _ ) and I will give you some good pointers / tips.

The PCH will play every file format known to man.
The PS3 is a reasonable device, but its alot more expensive and will not play the commonly decoded HD files (only a small portion of MKV files, they have to be specifically encoded with the PS3 in mind, google it).

If you own or thinking of buying a PCH then check out the network media tank forums http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ this site is dedicated to the PCH community.
It contains hundreds of apps, skins, programs, addons etc and its updated every day.

The essiental program to get is: YAMJ (Yet Another Movie Jukebox and TV Meta Data Finder (more applicable for series films).

Below is some screenshots from my YAMJ:

It will index and find all cover art, information about each film without any input from yourself.

[Edited on 22-04-2009 by Bart]
drunkenfool

23rd Apr 09 at 00:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart]

It will index and find all cover art, information about each film without any input from yourself.

OMG that sounds wicked! Thanks for the info mate, it should be delivered on friday. I put the network cable in through the wall this evening too going through the ceiling and back down into the cupboard where the router is so I shoulod be able to get it set up pretty quickly
Toby
Premium Member

23rd Apr 09 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
quote:
Originally posted by Bart]

OMG that sounds wicked! Thanks for the info mate, it should be delivered on friday. I put the network cable in through the wall this evening too going through the ceiling and back down into the cupboard where the router is so I shoulod be able to get it set up pretty quickly

One to do is read this - http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Have a look here - www.networkedmediatank.com

and make sure you read this for YAMJ - http://code.google.com/p/moviejukebox/

the networked media tank forum is the best soruce of info and everything there is covered. And there are many more skins available for YAMJ i use a purely fanart based skin so take a look at the different ones there

[Edited on 23-04-2009 by CorsaB4ever]
Doug

23rd Apr 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you set a sleep timer up on it?

I know in XBMC you can assign the numerical keys on the remote to perform certain tasks. So I have the '0' key set to start a 60 min sleep timer. Is this possible on the PCH?
drunkenfool

24th Apr 09 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, this got delivered today and got it all set up working fine with standard settings, works great! Ive also been through the step by step guide for the YAMJ ap and got that installed, I can open the index.html file from the box in the lounge and scroll through the films but none of them open. Also, there are quite a few random films shown on there that I dont have and have never had, any idea what the problem is? I'll check out the forums later if theres no luck on here! I just edited the xml file too to try and fix the problem of them not opening, but I still dont get where the random ones have come from!
ashleh

24th Apr 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
Have a look here

Was going to suggest this
drunkenfool

24th Apr 09 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart, could you post a screenshot of your library xml file please? I cant seem to get the YAMJ GUI to work properly, it keeps saying an incorrect path name when I select the shared folder over the network. Ive tried manually editing the link too and just doing \\DrunkenfoolFilms, as well as replacing Drunkenfool with the IP address of my computer, and tried both those combos with and without the "file://" in front of it too
drunkenfool

25th Apr 09 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted it
Bart

25th Apr 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of the current limitations to the linux OS is the ability to only work when you have just one share mounted.
i.e you create two shares but it simply wont play the videos. Its a memory issue in the OS I believe.

Bart

25th Apr 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, if you want to fit more films in the view, like mine, go into skins\skin_name\skin.properties and set these settings:

quote:

# Maximum number of thumbnails per index page
mjb.nbThumbnailsPerPage=24

# Maximum number of thumbnails per line in the index page
mjb.nbThumbnailsPerLine=8

quote:

# Generated thumbnails dimensions
thumbnails.width=112
thumbnails.height=160

Also, make sure you using the MovieJukebox 1.0.17 beta which has series grouping

If you find anything useful yourself, let me know

[Edited on 25-04-2009 by Bart]
Blade_sri

25th Apr 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can u stream off the xbox360 from a laptop?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll