corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New form of password to replace standard PIN.

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New form of password to replace standard PIN.
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 09 at 09:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How will a gas supplier be using it?
pow
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about my poor Nan who has a chip and pin card, can bearly remember her pin number anyway and doesnt have a clue how to use a nokia 3310?
Cosmo

2nd Mar 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
What about my poor Nan who has a chip and pin card, can bearly remember her pin number anyway and doesnt have a clue how to use a nokia 3310?

She'll probably have more luck remember the picture code in a story type way than 4 random numbers. Images are much more easily remembered than numbers to some.
Cosmo

2nd Mar 09 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
How will a gas supplier be using it?

Im not certain, but I think they are using a mixture of terminals in houses which allow you to pay directly (like the current meters where you pre-pay) as well as using it to log in online for you to pay. I'll find out more details soon, was just told the numbers and not what for exactly.

They are owned, or atleast linked, to a German gas supplier who are looking to use it over their anda large larger scale.
pow
Premium Member

2nd Mar 09 at 13:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by pow

She'll probably have more luck remember the picture code in a story type way than 4 random numbers. Images are much more easily remembered than numbers to some.

I don't want to/not going to cause an argument because I like you, but, she will never remember her "PIN" code this way. Plus the change would just put her into panic mode tbh
Cosmo

2nd Mar 09 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I don't want to/not going to cause an argument because I like you, but, she will never remember her "PIN" code this way. Plus the change would just put her into panic mode tbh

You like me

If you think its any more complex than a standard pin (which Im guessing she didnt go into panic mode over?) then you need to go and have another look at it. Its nothing more than changing from a number to a symbol, and then pressing that symbol on a key pad.

I can see how for older people that change is a little harder to accept, but its a good job technology doesnt care much for these people or we'd still be moving things around on wooden carts with square wheels.
Dom

2nd Mar 09 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am i right in thinking the keypad would be a touchscreen LCD (or similar) and the symbols on the keypad constantly change position?
Cosmo

2nd Mar 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Am i right in thinking the keypad would be a touchscreen LCD (or similar) and the symbols on the keypad constantly change position?

Depends on the set up. I dont have more details on this just yet to say if it would be a simple LCD and a keypad, or a touch screen, or something else.
Half Pint

3rd Mar 09 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looks like an alternative to an out of band authentication service which requires a one time password which is provided to a mkobile device.

with out of band the bank makes the call to you and provides the pin which you enter into the screen

the only risk is around the phone number registered.

To be honest i have been working with internet banking providers and that would be extremely difficult for a large percentage of users who simply find logging on a complex process.
Cosmo

3rd Mar 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Pint - read the first post where I say ignore the part where you text anything, as that wont (hasnt) made it into any final product.

An update on the gas company order....Im almost certain the order is from EON (Im not sure if I should say who it is tbh!) and they are going to replace approx 11m (I think this is ALL their customers in the UK) meters in houses with units that are read via internet. This means no paying for someone to visit the meter to get a reading and also means an end to estimated bills. The PIN part will mean being able to log into your account via the meter and pay it at any point in the month on the unit itself.
Russ

3rd Mar 09 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what if there users dont have the internet?
John

3rd Mar 09 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's very easy to change supplier these days with sites like uswitch and at max they'll only be locking you into a 12 month contract, changing all the meters for somebody to move supplier a month later surely wouldn't be viable?
Cosmo

3rd Mar 09 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I care if its viable

They have decided to go down that route if they use this log in or not - Im just happy they have decided to use this over a standard PIN and thus given us an approx 11m unit order, with their German owner looking to roll it out in the whole of Europe (company has a 69bn EURO turnover!)
John

3rd Mar 09 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interesting to see if it takes off.
Cosmo

3rd Mar 09 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed.

We (I say we, Im not part of fuck all tbh) havent had anything to do with them deciding to roll out this form of meter or make it readable online or however they are doing it. They have just come to us to provide the security log in for it.
xa0s
Banned

3rd Mar 09 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not got time to read through all the replies and the older threads and so on, but from the demo on the PINoptic website you send a text via your mobile to a number to confirm you done the transaction... I can send text messages from any number so if I obtained the said persons number, why couldn't I just send from that and confirm the payment?
Russ

3rd Mar 09 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read the thread for the answer
John

3rd Mar 09 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't really send text messages from that number, you can send text messages that have a text string sender that looks like that number.
Cosmo

3rd Mar 09 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
read the thread for the answer

edit that to 'read the first post for the answer'

Oh, and also you dont just send a message. You have to send the particular code that comes up, but even so, that isnt the point of the actual PIN that PinOptic uses and as said - ignore that part.

[Edited on 03-03-2009 by Cosmo]
xa0s
Banned

3rd Mar 09 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Oh, and also you dont just send a message. You have to send the particular code that comes up, but even so, that isnt the point of the actual PIN that PinOptic uses and as said - ignore that part.

So only new mobiles will be able to do it? You don't just send a text message with the code?

I really haven't got time to read through everything said so just the basics on how the mobile confirmation bit works would be good...
xa0s
Banned

3rd Mar 09 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You can't really send text messages from that number, you can send text messages that have a text string sender that looks like that number.

You know best.
John

3rd Mar 09 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know better than you anyway.
Cosmo

3rd Mar 09 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:

So only new mobiles will be able to do it? You don't just send a text message with the code?

I really haven't got time to read through everything said so just the basics on how the mobile confirmation bit works would be good...

No, the text part has fuck all to do with this product. It was something a bank was looking at using and asked to be included in an initial product that was being produced, hence how it ended up on the site.
xa0s
Banned

3rd Mar 09 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it has nothing to do with you (your dad) then not to worry, but both SMS and phone calls can be spoofed...
John

3rd Mar 09 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Phone calls can be spoofed with some fancy equipment, you aren't spoofing sms to anybody that knows what they're doing unless you work for a phone company.

<<  3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll