corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Domain names / hostings

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Domain names / hostings
koolkorsa

User status: Offline
23rd Feb 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking to register about 50 - 100 domain names - a mix of .co.uk / .net and .com sites. Each site will have slightly different content so I can't simply have all the domain names forwarding to one address.

So my questions are:

1) Hosting - what's my best option for hosting about 50 - 100 sites? What sort of cost am I looking at? Can they all be hosted at one place and each domain link to a different part of the host? They will all have low traffic and the HTML etc. will be around 5 - 10mb per site.

2) Domain names - where's going to be cheapest to register that many sites?

Thanks in advance!
Dom

23rd Feb 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hosting i would get a reseller account, have a look at Vooservers or TsoHost (use these myself, absolutely brilliant).

As for domains, they are all around the same price - £3 .co.uk, £9 .com/.net p/year etc (pennies cheaper if you pay for a few years first).
I use 1&1 for my domains, who are ok (certainly wouldn't use them for hosting though). But UKReg are slightly cheaper.

Also something i learnt the hard way, keep you domains and hosting seperate - if one company disappears then you won't loose the who shebang.....
James

23rd Feb 09 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What money making scheme are you running now?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

domains - ukreg or godaddy, look for credits or something for multiple buys as you'll get a discount i think.

hosting - reseller account all day long, check fasthosts who do one.
koolkorsa

23rd Feb 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify my understanding - ordinarily for each domain I need separate hosting? There's no way of paying for one host and having different domains off different folders on that host?
So you're saying I need a reseller account as that's the cheapest way of having numerous domains from one hosting package? Cheers.
xa0s
Banned

23rd Feb 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, there is.

I'd ignore all of the above personally. It's bad advice if I understand what you want correctly.

If you own all these sites and want to edit them quickly, a re-seller account is a BAD idea. Most packages will require you to login to each account separately, and managing 50-100 different FTP details in a client will be annoying.

I'd go with simply registering the domains with NameCheap (£5-per-domain), using their DNS and pointing each domain to a DIR (folder) on a hosting package. If your sites aren't illegal, I can host you for a small amount to recoup some of the money I'm spending on hosting myself. You'd simply have one login for everything. You login to the hosting via FTP and then you have different folders for each site... It'd be far easier. By the sounds of it you only need little simple sites, so this is the way to do it unless you want to give access to other people. If that's the case then you'll want to go with the reseller option as has already been said as you'll have an individual password for each account. Either way, I can host you if you want. I've had the hosting for 5 years now and it's extremely reliable.

It's up to you...

[Edited on 23-02-2009 by xa0s]

[Edited on 23-02-2009 by xa0s]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Feb 09 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ignore all the advice? if he wants to host aload of different websites then a reseller account is a better idea.

If hes doing something fucked up like he wants a 100 websites wiith the same design but different content then hes better off pointing the domains to one server, getting apache setup to accept them all and then get some fancy php to change site content depending on the domain query through a database or something.

Go for a big company that can offer proper support if thats your thing.
Dom

23rd Feb 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
Yes, there is.

I'd ignore all of the above personally. It's bad advice if I understand what you want correctly.

If you own all these sites and want to edit them quickly, a re-seller account is a BAD idea. Most packages will require you to login to each account separately, and managing 50-100 different FTP details in a client will be annoying.

What a load of bull! Xa0s, your method is pointless and costly with no reason what so ever to spend out for a DNS service

But yes, with a reseller account, you could setup each domain with a seperate CPanel/FTP but the LOGICAL and BEST way of doing it is to buy a reseller account (as majority allow of unlimited domains to be 'parked'), create one account and park all of your domains on that account and then either use .htaccess to point each domain to an individual directory or php/cgi to generate content on the fly.

And you DON'T necessarily need a reseller account, it's just that most reseller hosting accounts allow for unlimited parked domains and that's what you want. Alternatively you could get a dedicated server, but it'll end up costing you a bomb with little to no advantage.

And no offence to willay, but my personal experience with GoDaddy is shit! Hosting is slow as feck and they caused me more headaches that it was worth. Ended up transfering everything away from them as quickly as i could. However, their prices for domains are reasonable.

Have a look on http://www.ochostreview.co.uk for hosting reviews
xa0s
Banned

24th Feb 09 at 02:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
What a load of bull! Xa0s, your method is pointless and costly with no reason what so ever to spend out for a DNS service

Um, NameCheap do domains for £5 each which include DNS. It's no extra what-so-ever, so what are you talking about? Mine would allow him to change hosts effortlessly and not have to worry about changing DNS entries every time for 100 domains...

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
But yes, with a reseller account, you could setup each domain with a seperate CPanel/FTP but the LOGICAL and BEST way of doing it is to buy a reseller account (as majority allow of unlimited domains to be 'parked'), create one account and park all of your domains on that account and then either use .htaccess to point each domain to an individual directory or php/cgi to generate content on the fly.

You could do it like that, but what's the difference? If he knew about .htaccess and so on he wouldn't be asking for advice on here. It's easier for him to get my way up and running. What does yours provide that mine doesn't?

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
And you DON'T necessarily need a reseller account, it's just that most reseller hosting accounts allow for unlimited parked domains and that's what you want. Alternatively you could get a dedicated server, but it'll end up costing you a bomb with little to no advantage.

So why are saying, 'What a load of bull!' in response to me saying don't pay out for a reseller account? Who mentioned a dedicated server?

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by xa0s]
Dom

24th Feb 09 at 03:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Um, NameCheap do domains for £5 each which include DNS. It's no extra what-so-ever, so what are you talking about? Mine would allow him to change hosts effortlessly and not have to worry about changing DNS entries every time for 100 domains...

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

You could do it like that, but what's the difference? If he knew about .htaccess and so on he wouldn't be asking for advice on here. It's easier for him to get my way up and running. What does yours provide that mine doesn't?

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

So why are saying, 'What a load of bull!' in response to me saying don't pay out for a reseller account? Who mentioned a dedicated server?

[Edited on 24-02-2009 by xa0s]

Regarding the 'You DON'T need a reseller account', i didn't really explain. My point is that if you can find a shared hosting package that has "unlimited" (or X figure that you need) 'parked domains' (or 'addon domain' feature) option then you're good to go. The reason i suggested a reseller account is that majority of these have "unlimited" 'parked domains'.

And yes you're right, i thought NameCheap was a DNS provider rather than a Domain name provider, which would be a waste of time.

Whether or not it's easier to is up to the user, although i'd prefer to have 100% control over handling of the domains (either using .htaccess or server-side scripting, neither is hard), rather than using HTTP redirects from the domain provider.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Feb 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk
xa0s
Banned

24th Feb 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Whether or not it's easier to is up to the user, although i'd prefer to have 100% control over handling of the domains (either using .htaccess or server-side scripting, neither is hard), rather than using HTTP redirects from the domain provider.

I would too, but like I said, if he's asking for advice on a forum then my way would be a lot more suitable...

New Poll