corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Virus?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Virus?
mantamark

User status: Offline
26th Jan 09 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been using the laptop ok today, then all of a sudden (didnt go on any sites out of the norm) i had a popup saying that i had a virus and to do a scan.

Now, im not normally fooled by these, but it brought up a duplicate of the windows security centre and i clicked scan.

Now it didnt take long for me to realise this wasnt right, so i stopped it & searched for it for solutions.

I have manually removed it now (i think anyway), but there are still problems.

I search for stuff & it brings up real looking sites, but when i click on them they take me to random crappy sites.

And not only that, but i have downloaded a couple of virus scan / malware / programs to check for any more problems, but they wont open, i click on the exe file & i get the egg timer, then it just vanishes, but the program is still running in the program manager bit.

So, what can i do? i cant even run the ad aware and search and destroy i already have on the laptop, ive tried restarting, safe mode, and cant think of anything else to try.

Any ideas?

Oh, and yes, i should have virus protection, but norton screwed me over & wouldnt refund me, so i removed it and not bothered with anything else since.
Whittie

26th Jan 09 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

By the sounds of it, you've been making the virus worse and worse.

Are you on that computer now?

Delete temp internet files for a start, then try using lavasoft's adaware, in safe mode. Once thats done do a system restore.....?
mantamark

26th Jan 09 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye aye captain.

i did try adaware in safe mode, but didnt fire up.

Boo.
Rob E

26th Jan 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like you have a badun mate. Every time you search in google for something it wont let you search etc? If you rename the .exe for your antvirus to something like hello.exe it should open. The virus doesnt recognise "hello.exe" as an antivirus piece of software so wont stop it from running
Rob E

26th Jan 09 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made the same mistake when i formatted over xmas, i was downloading drivers and i got caught by a virus which almost cost me my harddrive my PC stopped seeing the windows parititon on the harddrive and couldnt load recover image off the other partition...luckily when i ran my harddrive as a secondary harddrive in my dads computer it got picked up and i managed to wipe it clean and start again. It was an absolute cunt and took about 3 days of trying different things to sort it out! hope you get it sorted dude
Matty SRi

26th Jan 09 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to google and type Nod32.... go onto the website and download the free trial, its only 30 days but it will do u for the mo, install it, update it and run it... should do the trick, 1 of the best anti virus' ive ever used.

edit : http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_int.php

[Edited on 26-01-2009 by Matty SRi]
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like nasty trojans and rogue spyware programs to me mate. One anti-virus program is not going to clean this up. It is going to take a combination of tools and resources.

Best thing you can do is follow these instructions and we'll get you sorted. I'm not just trying to plug the site or anything, evilfantasy is on loads of malware removal forums and is extremely good at what he does.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Matty SRi

27th Jan 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

main things i normally use are... Nod 32, AdAware, Spyboy Search & Destroy and Windows Defender... all 4 of them sort everything out... just run all of them 1 after the other
Rich H

27th Jan 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start in safe mode, make sure your internet browser isn't set to some proxy server, then d/l Avast. Install it and make sure you select to scan at boot - this will then perform full scan before windows loads so should detect any crap thats on there.

Avast is free for home users btw and is miles better than Norton so will be worth keeping for the future too
mantamark

27th Jan 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't run anything that will remove anything, it just doesnt open.

Jesus i'm pissed off with myself, i dont know where this has come from.

Tried searching in IE & Firefox, and its just the same, says im clicking on one site, and get taken to another.

Did manage to download spyware doctor, and it found some nasties, but then i have to pay to remove them, what kind of free download is that?

Its the only one that has opened.

wounded.
mantamark

27th Jan 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do i check if its running a poxy server?

Im trying to get the avast thing, but its saying webpage not found, yet other pages are ok, so i think it might be blocking it?
Rich H

27th Jan 09 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You using IR or Firefox? Sounds very similar to a virus that affected our systems at work the other day. Is a bit of a pig to get rid of!!

That was pointing internet access to a proxy server tho hence why you couldn't access anti virus sites.

Tell me what browser ur using and I'll let u know how to get rid

[Edited on 27-01-2009 by Rich H]
mantamark

27th Jan 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a problem with IE6 (when typing a reply in a forum like this, it would crash) so i downloaded the newest version, that did the same, so downloaded FF, which i like better anyway, so i will go down the FF route please!

Cheers!
Daveskater
Premium Member

27th Jan 09 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do wonder why I bother giving people a link to a site that will fix their computer, then they ignore it.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Rich H

27th Jan 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
I do wonder why I bother giving people a link to a site that will fix their computer, then they ignore it.

Rich H

27th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mantamark
I had a problem with IE6 (when typing a reply in a forum like this, it would crash) so i downloaded the newest version, that did the same, so downloaded FF, which i like better anyway, so i will go down the FF route please!

Cheers!

Firefox > Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Connection > Settings >Make sure "No Proxy" is ticked. Apply, close, reboot PC in safe mode, d/l avast, make sure you say yes to it performing boot time scan, job done.

There were various files hidden as programmes too - I tracked them down by monitoring what system processes were running, then googling any dodgy sounding ones, which then told me where to find the files.

Once all thats sorted, reboot into normal OS

Rich
mantamark

28th Jan 09 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave, i couldnt download any of the programs, they were blocked by the virus (i think)

Rich, i think you've fixed it, rebooted into safe mode with networking, then managed to sort the proxy out, and downloaded avast, boot scan found a few things, then full scan (took forever!) found alot more.

Cheers for the help, i think its sorted now.
Rich H

28th Jan 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It sounded very much like the virus I had when I sorted the systems out at work last month - final checks are to install spybot s&d and run that too. Oh and register avast for the free 15 month licence, it'll just ask you to re-register after the 15 months for free again too

New Poll