corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi

New Poll
  <<  16    17    18    19    20  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Track Car - Impreza STi
AK

User status: Offline
9th Sep 12 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats me home from Croft

I had an interesting weekend to say the least

Left Aberdeen at 3am on Friday morning and got to Croft around 8:30am for sign on. On track at 09:30. Spun on the first lap at the chicane, it came alot quicker than I was expecting (I wasnt really looking forward and just saw the tyre stacks and lifted suddenly....weeeee

A few offs later and 13 laps I set a 1:35.7 lap. Low boost, 3yr old tyres and still no real idea on the track (first ever time at Croft!). Last laps were with a slight feeling in the front like a flat spotted tyre. Def speed related. Car handled like ****e but was easy to drift round corners with trail braking on the way in. I just couldnt get it turned in to the second last corner so sideways in the get the nose in seemed the only way

Jacked the car up and spun the wheels up, swapped tyres round front/rear and went out for 2nd session. Still there Only did 4 laps

Back to the pits and more headscratching, nothing 'felt' loose or binding... I had a suspicion that the front diff was heading out so went out again after adjusting the front toe (one wheel NS Front, was way out!).

3rd session - Handling was better BUT the braking was really bad :S A few big offs later and a horrible metalic grinding from the front I was back into the pits. The front NS disc was hitting the caliper at both sides... the hub bearing was completly shagged.

Nursed it back to the paddock and began phoning round for fixes. Managed to find a new bearing, and a second hand hub with bearing already in. I went for the later option - BUT couldnt get the bloody drive shaft nut off. I was hanging off a 3ft breaker bar and it wasnt budging Took the car to AS Performance (who had the hub) and borrowed the use of a scaffolding pole over a breaker bar - job done. Back the circuit for 17:30 and begain stripping off the old hub, swapping over wheel studs etc etc. Done by 7pm and completly shattered

Thanks to Alyn at AS Performance, Joe and Andy for the help and the various other (vectra guy, Dave with the saxo, dave with the 968) for tools and banter

Saturday.... signed on, bled the brakes, swapped to the new tyres and lined up for qualy.

Did an out lap... tyres, handling and grip was MUCH better and the car felt great so went for a decent lap on the first flyer. A bit slower into the first corner due to passing another car but flat through the chicane in 3rd and up to aprox 120mph before tower and getting a bit slowed by another car on the apex. Held 4th through the Esses this time passing another car so the line into the first was a bit iffy, taking them at an indicated 108mph and up into 5th for the kink before Sunny In and hmmm, the car just didnt feel right - flat, and oil light blinking - cut the power and coasted off the track. Game over

It doesnt sound like any of the previous oil starvation / spun bearings we've had in the past, but its got bugger all oil pressure and rough as **** idle - no 'knock' though.

The aborted half lap was slightly faster than my 1:35.7 lap for test session 1..... Good enough to be half a sec clear on pole for the race.

Gutted doesnt quite describe it Will post up some VBOX logs.

Loved the circuit.... suits the car, and you were a friendly bunch. I'll be back

PS - I didnt grow the balls to take the esses flat, the first part needed a slight easing of throttle to get the line, the second was flat. Braking zones for Tower and Sunny in are interesting too
AK

14th Sep 12 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

traces of metal in the oil, not firing on Cly2.... (getting fuel and spark)

rebuild time
AK

24th Sep 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not so mild damage...

rod cap from No2

SteveoBC
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ooo bugger that cant be any good
AK

8th Oct 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ouch

BarnshaW

8th Oct 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucking hell

were they forged internals you were running? do you have a knocklink in the car and did it show anything before going?
flybikeslee

8th Oct 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yikes
AK

8th Oct 12 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fully forged Lateral 2.1....

Looks like oil starvation... rod welded to crank, SNAP. Rod debris cracked the bore and generally grenaded all around inside.

Easy to understand how quickly it happend at 8000rpm in 4th.

Need to have a sanity check or a payrise/bonus now

Complete bottom end is wrecked bar possibly the baffled sump. Do I go for a 2.1 again or 2.35 beasty...

I HOPE to buggery the heads are ok... the cams look failrly scored though
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's impressive!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
BarnshaW

9th Oct 12 at 05:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres someone right now on SN offering a fully built lateral 2.35 for 7k i think
AK

9th Oct 12 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup.... thats not exactly great price wise
AK

20th Mar 13 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plugs ordered, turbo needs some work on a sticky wastegate apparently :S, release bearing found and fitted... manifolds on, alt and ps on... ready to drop in and bolt up

AK

14th Apr 13 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with me in

without me
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Apr 13 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fat bastard

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

16th Apr 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

run in done.... 400bhp @ 1.0-1.1 bar Should be fun at 2.0bar
Robin
Premium Member

16th Apr 13 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you go 2.1 again?
AK

16th Apr 13 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, essentially the same engine, heads and cams... just new block, rods, pistons, crank etc
AK

29th Apr 13 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finally getting the old Hippo on a diet :evil:

Lexan windows, GRP doors and GRP boot skin ordered.

Will chassis mount the big gay wing now too
AK

3rd May 13 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone fancy buying a kidney from me?

I really want to dry sump this engine to make it last :S

Fee will be out testing in it this weekend. I did ask her to race it on the sun but she opted to just do the test sessions on the sat.

I refitted the SPA oil temp & pressure gauages before I buggered off to Shetland. The oil temp sender wiring was a bit mangled so replaced. Bit of a twat to fit the 4way boss under the TB with the bigger turbo but it went on eventually.

Hopefully with the weight loss it should take the car under 1100kg so sub 1200kg with me in the seat. If it doesnt i'll make it my mission to get to that
AK

25th May 13 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit is getting serious

along with the added 'less' weight (50+kg saving) I'm going to run it on slicks for SMRC Sports and Saloons A.

Dry Sump ordered.

Big ghey wings ahoy!
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th May 13 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice

I imagine driving on slicks to be somewhat of a leap of faith with a car. The sheer grip must be able to "carry" a poor handler to a certain extent.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

25th May 13 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not 'that' diferent to new 888/048 etc... just last longer before going off (in 1 sitting, not over a year ect ).

A super soft compound would be...

You need to have the right suspension and geo to run slicks properly. You see a lot of nuggets running slicks on standard suspension - turning the outside of the tyres blue!

Camber and a firm chassis help!

On that note - I'll need better suspension now as the EXE-TC are good, but not full on race.

[Edited on 25-05-2013 by AK]
AK

12th Oct 13 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit of a turd of a year...

New engine, run in.... turbo noises and smashed a gearbox.
Replaced gearbox and developed top end/head noises. Heads rebuilt again, and turbo checked.
All back together and turbo failed whilst mapping.
New turbo on its way. Bigger.

dry sump is fited though, thats a start

has plastic windows and doors now too, so about 40kg lighter
AK

18th Oct 13 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, here we go again.... thats the new turbo on, and a quick mapped fired on.

400whp @ 1.6bar

Thats around 470 480bhp.

That'll do for now
AK

19th Dec 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok.... where are we

Now running braided fuel lines and billet fuel rails with adjustable FPR - the larger turbo was a bit close to the OE stuff!

Some minor work to the dry sump to get the belt a touch tighter....

ope to have it mapped soon... 2.0 bar this time, and get the oil pressure cuts and what not activated

<<  16    17    18    19    20  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi 24 database queries in 0.0301440 seconds