corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » car keeps cutting out at lights

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author car keeps cutting out at lights
SRI-LEE

User status: Offline
28th Dec 08 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as title my car keeps cutting out coming to a stop at traffic lights e.t.c its a corsa sri 1.4 16v x14xe engine 95 model what it does is when your slowing down to lights and put the cluctch in rather than going back to idle it will cut out and sometimes wont cut out but the revs bounce to 0 then 800 and then settle normal its starting to really annoy me now, iv been told it could be the speedo cable bit its not electric its a cable and it has snapped but i dont see how this could make my car cut out?, it runs spot on all teh time apart from when your coming to a stop its just wont idle properly first time, ive just put an icv and lambda sensor on today off a mates engine and its no different:9 sorry for the essay any help be great thanks lee
C2RL R

28th Dec 08 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get your speedo sorted and the problem will go away. someone will be along shortly to explain what is happening......all i know is i've read about this many times on here and the speedo was the problem.
Limecat
Banned

28th Dec 08 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speed sensor on the clocks or the speedo ring in the gearbox.
SRI-LEE

28th Dec 08 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right so its true, thanks for that il get it sorted asap now cause its doing my head in
Limecat
Banned

28th Dec 08 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it is something to do with the transition period from ECU control to ICV.
SRI-LEE

28th Dec 08 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah right i see, well i keep trying to fix it whats happend is the cable has snapped at the gearbox end and the thin needle wire bit is stuck in the gear part on the gearbox so all i need to do is pull it out to get a new one in,but the wire isnt sticking out of teh whole so cant get any pliers or out onto it, so was thinking maybe a magnet? im going to give it a try tomorrow,anyone else got any ideas? thanks lee
luke85

28th Dec 08 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without the speed signal the ECU assumes the car isnt moving, so when you use your engine to slow you down with no throttle at 2k+ RPM then the ECU thinks theres a problem that the car is idling high. Then closes the idle valve and never re-opens it so you stall a lot.

Till you fix your speedo you can stop it happening by not using engine braking above 2000RPM
Rybo

28th Dec 08 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LEE...s speedo is cable driven, not wired with a sender (1994 1.4 16 valve model)
would this still be the problem?? i can see why if he had electric clocks but he asked me before and i didnt get how a simple speedo cable could cause this problem

im probably wrong mind?? is it just a case of replace speedo cable?
luke85

28th Dec 08 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, even if it doesnt have an electric sender from the gearbox there is still a vehicle speed signal.

On a cable driven setup the pulses come from the back of the speedo its self and is sent to the ECU from there

New Poll