corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lining up gears

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lining up gears
tazzer-t

User status: Offline
10th Dec 08 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just finished putting engine in and I'm not 100% how to go about lining up the gears. Anyone got any advice please??
Cheers
sand-eel

10th Dec 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the gear selector?
alan-g-w

10th Dec 08 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not entirely sure, but is there a plug somewhere that you remove then it's a case of sticking a small sized drill (or similair) into a hole within the hole, locates the doo-hicky and robert's your father's brother.

Sorry for the vague-ness but a mate at work quickly told me how to do it one day. Sure someone'll be along to help more, if not I'll find out in detail.
Morley

10th Dec 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are from Lancaster too right?

I live next to the castle, and just yesterday had the same problem but just used trial and error to fix the problem...

It's easy in the cockpit, just pop off the gear stick's leather cover thing and you will see there are two holes to line up so that the gear stick stays at Neutral position...

The gearbox end; I couldn't find any holes to line up but I know they are there. Basically I put the gearbox into what I assued was neutral, hooked the gear linkage up and tried the gear stick. First time I couldnt get reverse, then couldnt get 5th, and so on... Kept adjusting the gear linkage until I got all the gears engaging.
alan-g-w

10th Dec 08 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The last thing you said there ^ that's the stage my mate was at when he used the method I'm talking about.
Morley

10th Dec 08 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that case, I THINK I know where the plug is, but I don't think it's a plug I think it's a plastic cap, and it is at the top of the gearbox, inbetween the dizzie cap and the battery tray if you look at it from directly above... just pop it off and try putting a thin screwdriver in it... that must be the right spot?!?!?!?!?!
alan-g-w

10th Dec 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, sounds pretty close to what I was saying. I'll find out for sure in the next couple of days.
tazzer-t

11th Dec 08 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye i lined up the two holes with a screwdriver but just can't get reverse. My 1st gear is where reverse is, and 5th is nearly impossible to get but the rest are fine. Not sure how else to go about it because it's been adjusted a few times and reverse and 5th are the problem. How much dya reckon a garage would charge to do it..? Cheers for the replies
Morley

11th Dec 08 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I had EXACTLY the same problem mate. I just used trial and error to get it right buddy.

firstly, it will be far easier if you get a mate to help you...

Put an alan key or screwdriver in the two holes to hold the gearstick in position and then get yourself under the car, under the gear linkage.

get the gearbox into neutral.

just keep repositioning the gear likage twising it slightly left or slightly right of where it currently is, and each time you've tightened it get your mate to pull the pin out of the gearstick holes and try to engage the gears.

Might take you 20 minutes, and it will give you a sore wrist but you'll manage it eventually mate.
Morley

12th Dec 08 at 04:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=133496
tazzer-t

12th Dec 08 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers bud i'll give that a bash shortly n see how it goes
DaveB

12th Dec 08 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Morley
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=133496

That guide is how Haynes manual tells you to do it, it is the best way by miles. All these 'trial and error' methods are just bollox.
john_c20xe

12th Dec 08 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its easy peazy, line the two holes up in the cockpit with a 5mm drill bit,
and on top off the gearbox there will be a plastic screw cap take this out and use another 5mm drill peice, a screw driver as someone said will not work, ull find it trouble getting in gear if you do that!,
use 5mm drill bits,
with the drill bit slide it into the hole, you will need to move about the gears untill it slide in and locks the gears,
tighten the 13mm bolt for the selecters and make sure everything feels good when yove removed the drill bits
tazzer-t

13th Dec 08 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep did it yesterday Cars back on the road lol

New Poll