corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » missfire and no power

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author missfire and no power
Mr Turner

User status: Offline
25th Oct 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi, i posted on here a while ago about my car having a missfire, the car is a N reg 1.4 16v corsa sport. Last night the car started to missfire and when you put you foot down on the accelerator there is no power at all and it just bogs down and wont rev, I have to use first gear to get up the banks around mine house its that bad. So i have changed the plug leads, coil pack, spark plugs, crank sensor, cam sensor, mass air sensor and checked the purge pump in the fuel tank, also checked the fuel pump and fuel fillter outside the tank. There is no engine managment light on and its been on diognostics a while back when i had the first missfire but didnt have any codes or faults logged. I changed the cam sensor last night and didnt have any affect, i then changed the crank sensor today and the car would drive fine but was realy lumpy on idle, i then put my old crank sensor back on just for curiosity, i did this as i thought it was wired it would drive but not idle as it should after a new crank sensor, and with my old one onit was the same as in it drove fine but was lumpy on idle, i then drove it from the garage to my house which is about 3 mile and as i was just coming to mine it started to have the same fault as mentioned above, no power and just wouldnt rev.

any one know what i can check or change before i get a garge to look at it?

worth changing the lamda sensor (however its spelt lol) and the EGR valve?

thanks
sean
sorry about the essay.

[Edited on 25-10-2008 by Mr Turner]
Mr Turner

25th Oct 08 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up
BarnshaW

25th Oct 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would have said it would be one of the following:

dirty air filter
plugs/leads?
air flow sensor
Dan295

25th Oct 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like its skipped a tooth possibly and isnt timed up properly
Mr Turner

25th Oct 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

air filter is clean, as said in the post i have changed the plugs and leads and the air flow sensor.
Mr Turner

25th Oct 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can i check if its timmed up correctly dan295
Dan295

25th Oct 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by checking the timing marks on the crank pulley and the timing marks on the 2 cam pulleys, your haynes manual should tell you how to but i dont think you can do it with the engine in, if you get a strobe light you can do it with the car running....
Mr Turner

25th Oct 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i should be able to turn the crank pulley and line them all up shouldnt i? i will try it tomorrow and see. any other ideas lads?
Will94

26th Oct 08 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan295
sounds like its skipped a tooth possibly and isnt timed up properly

Agree with this, mine had did this before. the inlet cam had skipped forward a tooth because the rocker cover gasket had been leaking oil all over my cambelt

pop the covers off and check if all the timing marks line up where they should
Mr Turner

26th Oct 08 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will have a look today and let you know cheers
Mr Turner

26th Oct 08 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

checked the timing and it is as it should be
Mr Turner

26th Oct 08 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just wondering is this the EGR valve?

Mr Turner

26th Oct 08 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it isant where is the EGR valve located?

thanks
Will94

28th Oct 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant really see in that pic but its down there in that direction, on the right hand side of the lower inlet manifold, at the back. not fun to get to while the standard intake it on!
mattievRS

28th Oct 08 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

checked the crank pulley woodruff key isnt fucked???
Im betting its that mate.
Mr Turner

29th Oct 08 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i have found out now mate, its a bit of a pain to get to, i have heard that people bloke it off or remove it ? my car is runign bad and missfiring and i have heard that the EGR valve can cause this but if they do bloke them off or remove them and the cars run fine how cud a faulty EGR valve make the car run bad, if that makes sence.lol
Mr Turner

29th Oct 08 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have checked the crank pulley mate, looked ok to me, i could be wrong thow, what does the woodruff key look like? you got a picture?
gianluigi

29th Oct 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine done this last year. changed egr, ht leads, discovered oil in spark plug hole cos of leaky rocker cover gasket.

after changing all that it still ran shit for a bit then sorted itself
Torsa g

29th Oct 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m17tty
checked the crank pulley woodruff key isnt fucked???
Im betting its that mate.

I would say this to its not the timing that will be out, it will be the alternator pulley that would of sliped of the woodruff key causing the spark timing to be incorrect as the crank sensor runs of the pulley and if its in the wrong position it wont spark at top dead centre cuasing loss of power
mattievRS

29th Oct 08 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Turner
have checked the crank pulley mate, looked ok to me, i could be wrong thow, what does the woodruff key look like? you got a picture?

Take the torx bolt out of the bottom pulley and look at the locating key on the inside.The bit that locates onto the bottom timing sprocket.This needs to be like new as any play or damage will time the car wrong and cause the symptoms you have.
Mr Turner

29th Oct 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok i will check the pulley again, took it to vauxhall today to be put on the diagnostics and they said they did a compression test and there was no compression on cilnder 4, which was strange because i checked the compression on friday, but anyway i will check it again tomorrow when i get my tester back, if there is no compression i will take the head off and see whats going on.
john_c20xe

29th Oct 08 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this! was the woofuff key like these nice people explained thnaks agen ppl
barneykarl

30th Oct 08 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think vauxhall are bullshitting you ,check no 4 yourself and as above crank woodruff key to cam position.
Mr Turner

30th Oct 08 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought they were to mate, will try it me self and also check woodruff key, thanks lads
Mr Turner

1st Nov 08 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well checked the engine today, the woodruff key is fine, problem was the cambelt tensioner had broke which caused the car to skip about 2 teeth, then in turn this has bent the valves on cylinder 4, did a compression test and there was no compression so the valves must have bent since the last time i did the compression test.

so i started to take the head off and its a nightmare of a job, i was just about ready to take the head off so started to undo the head bolts and one of them just broke, as in the top of the head bolt just sheered clean off, i have never seen this happed before and it has totalu fuked the job, gunna see what i can do with it tomorrow now.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll