corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Replacing gear knob

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Replacing gear knob
Daveskater
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Oct 08 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to change my gear knob but can't get the old one off. Does it just unscrew?

Cheers.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jam666
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

19th Oct 08 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pull off but its really hard lol
sampayne21

19th Oct 08 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jam666
pull off but its really hard lol

N3CRO

19th Oct 08 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to hack it off with a saw, some pull or screw off but very few. I had to take a saw to mine
dsracing

19th Oct 08 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oo bugger..im lookin forward to that tomorrow then..hacksaws ready!!
deano87

19th Oct 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WAIT before you do anything - I have far too much experience with gear knobs trying to do mine.

Right, what gear knob is it? Is it the 'plastic' one or 'leather' one? Does your existing one have an insert showing where the gears are, or is it 'stamped' onto the knob?

If it's the stamped one, then this pulls off with hot water. If it's the leather one with insert, this has to be hacked off.

I found it easier to buy a whole new gear stick from a scrap yard. Lift up your gaitor and it's secured into the car with a split pin type thing. It's in the Haynes manual.

Just be aware that the bit you put your fingers around to lift up and get in reverse is different on the 'stamped' (pre-97) and leather (post-97)! Most aftermarket gear knobs, including Steinmetz and Richbrook require a post-97 lift up reverse bit to not fit right, but look right.
Bonney

19th Oct 08 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found with mine if you have enough persiverance (and strength) Just twist and pull it upwards and it will eventually move
chrisritch

19th Oct 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was leather with the insert and it came off easily just pulling and twisting
Daveskater
Premium Member

19th Oct 08 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys, in the end (should have posted this earlier haha) I took the whole stick out and put it in a vice, then pulled it and twisted a bit and it came off.

Going by Deano's description it was the one with the insert, but I think it was vinyl as opposed to leather. My mate tore it a bit by accident

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Kyle471

19th Oct 08 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
WAIT before you do anything - I have far too much experience with gear knobs trying to do mine.

Right, what gear knob is it? Is it the 'plastic' one or 'leather' one? Does your existing one have an insert showing where the gears are, or is it 'stamped' onto the knob?

If it's the stamped one, then this pulls off with hot water. If it's the leather one with insert, this has to be hacked off.

I found it easier to buy a whole new gear stick from a scrap yard. Lift up your gaitor and it's secured into the car with a split pin type thing. It's in the Haynes manual.

Just be aware that the bit you put your fingers around to lift up and get in reverse is different on the 'stamped' (pre-97) and leather (post-97)! Most aftermarket gear knobs, including Steinmetz and Richbrook require a post-97 lift up reverse bit to not fit right, but look right.

mine was the leather with the insert n it pulled off :/
tucky911

19th Oct 08 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was a leather one and my mate had a plastic one. just pull and twist as hard as you can! Don't take your finger nails with it though.
deano87

20th Oct 08 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't doubt the 'leather' one does just pull off, but people have mentioned before how hard some are to get off - even the Steinmetz instructions said to cut it off the 'embossed plastic' on I got for the gear stick just fell off after being submerged in water
N3CRO

20th Oct 08 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was just a plastic one.

New Poll