corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » x14xe/x16xe inlets and design help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x14xe/x16xe inlets and design help
ryangti

User status: Offline
26th Sep 08 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wondering if you guys could help me with a university project I am just about to start.

The project is to take a standard inlet manifold design analyse it and see how it could be improved. The improved design should still use the standard throttle body. We have chosen the x14xe / x16xe, partly because it is an engine familiar to us and we know that this is a fairly restrictive manifold design.

The aim will be to design a new manifold using CAD and run CFD analysis on it to try and get the best possible results in comparison with the standard manifold. The designed manifold will then be fabricated, flow bench tested and also but onto a car if time allows

We are thinking of making something along the same lines as the matzel, lexmaul (sp) and homemade boxes already available but with a modified design to try and maximise efficiency. Granted it probably won’t be as good as the big manufactures but should still see gains over the standard inlet.

A thing we have noticed is that these inlets are a replacement for the upper inlet only? (could be wrong) is this because there are no gains to be made by changing the lower inlet design. This is something we are interested in looking into to. Is there already an inlet out there that is like this whilst still incorporating the standard throttle body?

Anyone who has any information or has attempted something like this before and doesn’t mind sharing some ideas would be a great help such as design, research already carried out.

Also what take offs are there on the inlet. Does anyone know the sizes of the fittings off hand?

Many Thanks.
Behr

26th Sep 08 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was wondering this about the lower inlet manifold aswell...
broster
Premium Member

26th Sep 08 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was a company called velos motorsport who made a complete inlet which replaced the lower inlet aswell, not many out there but i know a few people had them. purple b i think was one user on here with one.

reason people dont change the lower part is the restriction isn't really in the lower section, and the cost of making the lower bit is substantially more than just the top half
Daimo B

26th Sep 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus changing the lower half of the inlet wont make that much difference unless your modifiying the inlet ports with some work to make them larger. That, along with a larger modified lower inlet may give better gains, but your still using one throttle body which will be the main limitation when it comes to overall power.

What i'd like to see is a progressivly smaller inlet as on larger turbo cars, see if it makes any difference of flow into the lower inlet itself.

I'd be more interested in getting the flow of air as smooth as possible into the lower inlet. THe more corners and bumps, the more restriction on the airflow. Smooth all this out and maybe a few more hp.

For ideas on the upper inlet and getting smaller, look at Skyline inlets. Start off large, get smaller as it passes each inlet cyclinder. Where-as everything on the market at the moment, is basically a "box" stuck on the inlet with no interest in the smoothness of the airflow.

My 2p worth
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

26th Sep 08 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have cad designs, flow test info, design info...... on both replacement upper and lower parts.
Dave A

26th Sep 08 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2839/inlet1.jpg

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/2839/inlet2.jpg

theres some ideas.
ryangti

26th Sep 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the info guys,

Broster - yeah i've heard of this inlet but ive not been able to find any pictures of it, or any info on the gains it gave in comparison with the other options.

VXR - yeah i agree definately agree that the airflow looks as though it can be made better by using a smoother design and possiblibly a tapered inlet to help with an equal air supply to all cylinders. this is something we will be looking into as alot of the aftermarket jap stuff is like this.

but i think more gains could possibly be had by incoporating a modified upper and lower inlet, as this will give you the option of varying the inlet tract length, diameter and taper.

Dave A - that looks like a good design. if you feel like sharing any of the information you've gathered it would be much appreciated. i understand if you want to keep this to yourself if its something your thinking of making yourself, but i can tell you the information will be used for a university project only.

thanks
Daimo B

26th Sep 08 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, i guess you can alter the torque by the length of the inlets to the cyclinder head.

RE teh velos, it was called a Velos Tube. Very similar to what Dave A has posted pictures of above. They had 2-3 different types, a little like Dbalis.

Upper inlet only, like a Mantzel box for an X16/X14 engine.

They also had this option, but with the lower manifold, like the Mantzel for the C16 engine.

And thirdly, a new inlet system complete. 1 throttle body, but 4 seperate inlets (going into 1 main normal inlet box). The best current example i can find is the Dbalis "Throttle Bodies" that cough cough regaaa reeeegaaaaaaaaaaaaa (nope sorry i can't say it), that southern chumps vauxhall tuning company sells.

But it was called a Velos Torque Tube, and basically, they were a round cyclinder attached to 4 inlets. In fact, if they were about, im sure they'd say somethign about Daves designs

They done a 1.6 16v Turbo using this inlet. Around 280bhp from what i heard, but no-one ever saw it on the road.
Dave A

26th Sep 08 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the inlet that had the single plenum and replaced the lower inlet was called the 'PULSE 450'
ryangti

26th Sep 08 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay guys thanks again. does anyone have any info on the velos pulse 450 i've searched and found nothing at all.

also can anyone confirm what fittings for the vacuum hose etc would need putting in and there sizes if possible

thanks again

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » x14xe/x16xe inlets and design help 22 database queries in 0.0096610 seconds