corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel bearings.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel bearings.
Olsrey

User status: Offline
20th Aug 08 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What wheel bearings do you C20LET corsa owners use? This is for use with motorsport hubs btw.
Limecat
Banned

20th Aug 08 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard Corsa bearings.

EDIT: When you say 'Motorsport' it depends on the ones, the HH kit use 4x4 Golf Syncro rear bearings.

[Edited on 20-08-2008 by LETGSI16V]
luke85

20th Aug 08 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the regular "big shaft" setup uses the standard corsa bearing, never had a problem with my cheapo bearings
Olsrey

20th Aug 08 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
the regular "big shaft" setup uses the standard corsa bearing, never had a problem with my cheapo bearings
ive gone through a set of cheap bearings with a redtop
Olsrey

20th Aug 08 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Standard Corsa bearings.

EDIT: When you say 'Motorsport' it depends on the ones, the HH kit use 4x4 Golf Syncro rear bearings.

[Edited on 20-08-2008 by LETGSI16V]
Not a clue to be honest. All I know is i was told to get corsa bearings when I did the conversion but I've naffed them both. So thought maybe there were stronger bearings out there?
luke85

20th Aug 08 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely your doing something wrong then? Like I say the cheapo ones have been in 2 years now and put up with 280BHP daily. Now Ive said that I will probably drive home and have a wheel collapse
luke85

20th Aug 08 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How are you putting the hub into the bearing and the bearing into the hub carrier?
Olsrey

20th Aug 08 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bearings were put in using a large socket and a copper hammer tapping it in gentley going around the socket untill it was in.
luke85

20th Aug 08 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How about getting the hub into the bearing? You can just do it by freezing the bearing for an hour and putting the hub carrier in the oven at about 150 degrees/gas mark 2 for an hour. Then a quick spray of WD40 in the hub carrier before you slot the bearing in and it goes in much easier. Just cool it all down once its in so the grease in the bearing doesnt melt.

Then do a similar thing with the hub center, freeze it then use some threaded bar through the hub and bearing with a block of metal at each end and tighten it up until the hub is most of the way in and let the hub nut finish the job when you fit the CV joint.

Its important when you fit the hub center to only pull it in with force matched on the other side of the inner bearing or the bearing will be fucked
Olsrey

20th Aug 08 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I think when I put them in, one of the bearing races slipped out slightly. I had nothing else at the time so put them in properly and hoped for the best. They have done well to last 8 months I guess.
luke85

20th Aug 08 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the inner race will pop out if you push it in without supporting the other side of the bearing, just try the threaded bar method, makes it easy
Olsrey

20th Aug 08 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a friend with a press now so I'll get him to press them in. But thanks for the info Luke .
B3KAN

20th Aug 08 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey
Well I think when I put them in, one of the bearing races slipped out slightly. I had nothing else at the time so put them in properly and hoped for the best. They have done well to last 8 months I guess.

Shame the rest off the car hasnt

[Edited on 20-08-2008 by B3KAN]
Olsrey

21st Aug 08 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B3KAN
quote:
Originally posted by Olsrey

Shame the rest off the car hasnt

[Edited on 20-08-2008 by B3KAN]
Lol, engine wasn't my fault.

New Poll