corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question on convertibles (soft top ones)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Quick question on convertibles (soft top ones)
Jay

User status: Offline
29th Jun 08 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are they like to live with all year round? Tempted by an Astra Coupe Convert. but just wondering what they are like in the rain/cold weather? Do they ever leak etc? Also, whats the 1.8 engine like compared to the 2.2.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Jun 08 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i test drove the 2.2 and 1.8
not a big difference in performance tbh
Ben G

29th Jun 08 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

misted up/shitty rear plastic window comes to mind.
Jay

29th Jun 08 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Bah, nothing different to not being able to see out the back of a van or salloon with no rear wiper. Can live with that.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was fine. Noisier than a hard top but cold never made a difference, the heaters are good enough and they're not all that colder anyway as the roof is insulated (which the coupe isn't!)

1.8 engine is similar stats on paper but the 2.2 is a nicer drive, less hassle as you don't have to work the gears so much. You also get a longer box on the 2.2 so your revs are lower on the motorway, which equates to less noise and what should be more mpg, or at least comparable returns to the smaller engine.

I loved mine and I would have another one except I'm thinking about a diesel Twin Top instead as it's cheaper to fuel and tax than my old one.
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
It may come to your mind if you've picked it out of the sky or you're talking about a completely different car, but if you've lived with one you'll know it's glass and that isn't a problem anyway.

Convertibles are compromised, of course they are. They also handle worse than the coupe but really, if you want a convertible you need to live with it. I had mine five years and I would have another convertible tomorrow were it not for finding a nice one and paying for it!
Ben G

29th Jun 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, it says quick question on convertibles (soft top ones) in the title... nothing about a certain car there.

should say it's for an astra convertible if he wanted to be specific.
Adam_B

29th Jun 08 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad had one. 1.8, decent amount of kit. No problems with leaking or steaming up or anything, unlike my car It did go back to vauxhall a few times though for faults with the roof mechanism itself, but i dont think thats a common thing on them. Quick enough in a straight line but throwing it round a corner you could tell it was a not great car with the roof missing.
Adam_B

29th Jun 08 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it says astra coupe convert in the 1st post
Ben G

29th Jun 08 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it also says ''what are they like to live with all year round'' which is a general question about soft top's. you can't tell me it isn't
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben -

quote:
Originally posted by JayM
Tempted by an Astra Coupe Convert.

You're right if we're talking general convertibles, there's a few I wouldn't own but most larger ones / four seaters have a glass window. A misty window is certainly not something you have to live with.
Jay

29th Jun 08 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Mine was fine. Noisier than a hard top but cold never made a difference, the heaters are good enough and they're not all that colder anyway as the roof is insulated (which the coupe isn't!)

1.8 engine is similar stats on paper but the 2.2 is a nicer drive, less hassle as you don't have to work the gears so much. You also get a longer box on the 2.2 so your revs are lower on the motorway, which equates to less noise and what should be more mpg, or at least comparable returns to the smaller engine.

I loved mine and I would have another one except I'm thinking about a diesel Twin Top instead as it's cheaper to fuel and tax than my old one.

Thats what I was wondering, can you feel the cold etc, basically summed up what I was wanting to know.

What engine did you have?
Ben G

29th Jun 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i read the first post before replying. i was referring to the first question he asked in his post.

Adam_B

29th Jun 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess its how you read it, i decided it was a post about astras
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the 2.2 in a coupe and 2.0t in the convertible.

Cold really was never a problem ever, any car is cold in the morning if the weather outside is cold. I always drive with the windows down when it's frosty anyway, saves waiting for them to clear! Did a morning January frosty commute with no roof a number of times. You can hear what's going on and it certainly wakes you up
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact, I regularly drove round at night with it down. It's a completely different driving experience and I miss it massively and you're making me want one again now
Adam_B

29th Jun 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving at night with no roof is ace
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 22:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know
Jay

29th Jun 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I had the 2.2 in a coupe and 2.0t in the convertible.

Cold really was never a problem ever, any car is cold in the morning if the weather outside is cold. I always drive with the windows down when it's frosty anyway, saves waiting for them to clear! Did a morning January frosty commute with no roof a number of times. You can hear what's going on and it certainly wakes you up

The 2.0t is the one I want but they are alot more money then the 1.8s/2.2s

Yeh I know what you mean, I also drive with the windows down in the frost aswell as its cold either way. I bet that looked a picture

[Edited on 29-06-2008 by JayM]
Adam_B

29th Jun 08 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, roof off in the rain at anything over 50mph is pretty cool. Not sure if this works in the Astra though
Ian
Site Administrator

29th Jun 08 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driver doesn't get wet but the back does.
Jay

29th Jun 08 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/345/smallimg_6855.jpg

Is that an extra, Whats it do? Can people actually fit in the back?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Quick question on convertibles (soft top ones) 22 database queries in 0.1874020 seconds