corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Laptop Processor Information/Help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop Processor Information/Help
Jill
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   24th Jun 08 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hola!

I was just wondering if any of you computer geeks out there can help/explain about Laptop processors. There are two laptops I'm looking at buying and one has an Intel Core Duo wotsit processor, and the other is AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK57 Mobile Technology.

I would like to know:
1)Which is better- the duo core processor one? And ifso why?
2)What is the exact difference between the two and how they work/what they are used for etc?
3)Any other valid input/comments/help etc?

Muchos gracias in advance!

JILL
liamC

24th Jun 08 at 08:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Intel and AMD are 2 different manufacturers of processor chips, just like Pepsi and Coke are of soft drinks.
Jill
Premium Member

24th Jun 08 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks. I'm not that much of a moose with computers I couldn't figure out that!

I meant more regarding the whole duo core processor in comparison to the AMD one. Is one better? Is there any difference etc etc etc?

JILL
Cosmo

24th Jun 08 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The modern Intel chips are much much better than the AMD ones, so go for a laptop with Intel over and AMD one if you can.
Jill
Premium Member

24th Jun 08 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent stuff, cheeRS

JILL
johnhara1

24th Jun 08 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Cosmo said.

If possible try and get a Intel Centrino Processor. These give excellent performance\battery life.
Jill
Premium Member

24th Jun 08 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find me some links for these pleasy please? I'm stuck at work using the dinosaur computer whilst mines being fixed and it won't even allow me access to ebay today, let alone computer sites!

JILL
Cosmo

24th Jun 08 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of budget?
Jill
Premium Member

24th Jun 08 at 11:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really wish to specify budget cosmo, if you find anything post a link or something and that would greatly appreciated for me to check out

JILL
Cosmo

24th Jun 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a tough one to give links for, as laptops with Intel chips could range from £300 all the way upto £3k+
Ash_EP3

24th Jun 08 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for Intel - they seem to be miles ahead of AMD at the moment - my girlfriend wants one of those pink laptops from dell for a fairly good spec and all the accessories needed (photoshop, office 2007, carry case, etc etc) it came to £580
Cosmo

24th Jun 08 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I would agree with going for a HP or Dell, probably get you the most bang for your buck and decent customer support should anything go wrong.
John

24th Jun 08 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to dell site and spec one up.
Jill
Premium Member

24th Jun 08 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll bear all this in mind. Can't really check out the Dell site as it's blocked by the hospital and am work atm. So have to do that when I'm not busy and not at work then And cheeRS for your help everyone, greatly appreciated!

JILL

New Poll