corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa D centre dash speaker... wierd dome thing??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa D centre dash speaker... wierd dome thing??
rowbi

User status: Offline
1st Jun 08 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all

My wife's just ordered a new Corsa D SXi and when we went for a test drive in a demo car I noticed a small dome thing sticking out of the speaker grille on the dash (the 7th speaker grille!!! does it need that many speakers? lol) andway here's a picture of another car: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1144/1394624243_8923c88b8c.jpg

if you look behind the info screen (the one above the CD player) you'll see a small dome over near the windscreen...

does anyone know what the hell it is as the dealership didn't know...
Daveskater
Premium Member

1st Jun 08 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean that really small thing?

No idea what it is, but it can't be a speaker. If it was then you'd hardly hear it as it would be the size of earphone speakers, and they're a few milliwatts. Plus I expect they'd be able to find a way of making it smoothed in.

In essence, I also have no idea what it is

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
John

1st Jun 08 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Automatic light sensor?
Kurt

1st Jun 08 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely its just an alarm receiver?
Bonney

1st Jun 08 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will it not be some sort of alarm sensor or something
macky

1st Jun 08 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wher a light flashes to show when the alarm is on?
Joe

1st Jun 08 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be a sensor for the climate control/auto lights or something along those lines.
Rob126

2nd Jun 08 at 05:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is the sub woover. at least thats what we were told when my ex bought one.
ed

2nd Jun 08 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The little dome is a light sensor, or a blanking piece if you don't have the option which uses it. I've been told it's for climate control, if that's true or not I don't know...
rowbi

2nd Jun 08 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all the replies guys.... I'll try to answer all of you:

no that dome is not the speaker... and obviously if it were that small it would be pointless... the dome sticks out of the speaker grille but is nothing to do with the speaker..

I asked if it was a light sensor (for auto headlights) or a rain sensor (for auto wipers) and the sales guy said that they are both fitted inside a box that sticks to the windscreen up near the rear view mirror.... an in fact other cars I've driven with auto lights and wipers do have a box up there... so the dome is not for auto lights or wipers.

I thought it might be for the alarm, but the alarm sensors are up on the roof too, and the flashing light is near the stereo. this dome is just a plain plastic dome, no holes in it, no lights on it, etc.... even on the corsa VXR with all the extras that they had in the showroom it looked the same... so I don't think it's like a blanking plate for an optional extra that no one has.

I guess it could be an air con sensor, but I doubt it is for 2 reasons:
1. there are no holes in it so it wont be a good temperature reading
2. its on the dash so in the summer with the sun on it, it's going to be very inaccurate.

it's really bugging me what it is... surely Vauxhall wouldn't have put it there just to annoy me.... would they?? :-)
ed

2nd Jun 08 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the same thing on my Punto. I've been told it's for the climate control if you have it, if you don't it's a blank... Though I'm not too sure on that.
pow
Premium Member

2nd Jun 08 at 07:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say its for Climate control, I've got something similar on my Ibiza, I think its a sunlight sensor or something, Dads old Audi had one in the smae place. I had a 1.2 12v as a hire car once and it wasnt there - this car had no claimte control.
rowbi

2nd Jun 08 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't think it's for A/C as cars with or without it had the same dome... it wasn't like one looked like a blank and the other didnt... also the VXR that was at the dealership had auto headlights and it's dome looked the same...

does anyone know what it's actually for rather than guessing....???
ed

2nd Jun 08 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I said, if your car doesn't have climate control it's just a blank. I.E. a hollow piece of plastic filling the hole.
mad_mike252

2nd Jun 08 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its just an alarm receiver?
Fro

2nd Jun 08 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mike.
rowbi

2nd Jun 08 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and like I said, it's the same on a car without air con, as it is on a car with air con, as it is on a car with auto head lights.... surely if it's a light sensor then it would look more translucent so that some light passes through it, and if it's an air con temp sensor it would need an air hole otherwise when the sun is on it for a long time, it would get really hot and not give a true temp reading... kind of like a green house effect, but with black plastic.

all that said I'm not trying to argue with you, it's just that I spent time with the guy at the dealership trying to work out what it was, and we had loads of corsas to look at... all different specs, and the dome always looked the same.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone who's looked ont he vauxhall parts system to say "it is x,y,z"
RobHayes

2nd Jun 08 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the climate control cabin temperature sensor
Ren

2nd Jun 08 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Air con is NOT climate control. Climate control is when you get to choose the degrees (eg: 21, 24, 29)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa D centre dash speaker... wierd dome thing?? 23 database queries in 0.0073318 seconds