corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Running in

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Running in
DYL

User status: Offline
23rd May 08 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be time to "run in" my engine.....

It was rebuilt about a month ago......and im just finishing to connect everything up.......alternator....starter.....water pump.....plugs.....leads etc.

Anyway, i am going to ask our mechanic to sort the timming out, becuase i dont want to f**k anything up. But when it's time to start up.......how/ how long do i need to run it in for?

Since it will need an MOT, and the rally is in September.

binner

23rd May 08 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv recently had a full recon fitted, they advised the following, run very steady for 500 mile then change oil and filter. then run to around 2000 mile steady ( by that i mean dont rev over 3000rpm or so) then after 2000 mile, full service and it should be ok, but dont go red lining all the time, steady away gradualy building it up till its done around 3000 mile
DYL

23rd May 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3000 miles?

Its going to be hard not going over 3000rpm.

Will it be ok for the MOT? Take it the emissions will be fine
Fro

23rd May 08 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll be reving it more than3k i think for the emissions.
Colin

23rd May 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take it easy for 1000 miles or so!
DYL

23rd May 08 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
They'll be reving it more than3k i think for the emissions.

ye thats what i was thinking....

i just dont want to f**k it up and having to rebuild it all again.

It will be hard not reving it though.....
Cheese Man Chris

23rd May 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember reading some sort of book thing,

And there is a massive argument about how you are ment to run an engine in. And this guy was saying its better to thrash it.
I also recall my dad saying an engine needs a good thrashing when new piston rings etc are fitted...

I would trash it if i was you (When i mean thrash, i dont mean crazy chav style, just give it some, and not grandmar style)
Baskey

23rd May 08 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine is it, will you need to re-touque the head?
DYL

23rd May 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its the E16SE, dunno :S first ive heard
ed

23rd May 08 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need to run engines in. Its something from the past that is obsolete.
J4M13

23rd May 08 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rag it
Tommy L

23rd May 08 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just drive the damn thing
Rob E

23rd May 08 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy for 1000 miles, then slowly get more aggressive with it. Have you got adjustable vanier on the cam or is it standard? Piece of piss to time up the 8v engines mate. Line up the cam pulley with the notch ontop of the cambelt casing (little grove) and the crank pulley with the mark at the top of the sump area, Bolt the tensioner on and pull the pin out the tensioner (self tensioning) Just turn the engine over a couple of times using a ratchet. If it locks up you know you have timed it up wrong. If it goes round easily then jobs a goodun
d128mat

23rd May 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got told no more than 3000rpm for 500 miles the work it up 500rpm every hundred milish or so.... i did 700 miles then started to give it a bit more,

so far so good...

there is a site somewhere that says the harder you drive it the better, but the engine will need rebuilding more frequently (eg rebuild every 5 yr not 7)
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd May 08 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you see i was always told the best was yo bed in an engine was pretty much rag it from the start..
Ste L

23rd May 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
you see i was always told the best was yo bed in an engine was pretty much rag it from the start..

me too, bed's the ring's in better or something..

and if they dont bed in right first time, may aswell start again
chris_uk
Premium Member

23rd May 08 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates dad who bought one of these

thrashed it on the autobahn about 20 mins from collecting it with 2 miles on the clock
ed

23rd May 08 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your car was made in 1930 then you need to bed the engine in. As it has precision manufactured components and honed bores you aren't achieving anything.
mikesc20let

23rd May 08 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wud take it steady for abt 500 to 1000 miles as an engine rebuild isnt cheap everyone knows that
LeeM

23rd May 08 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd probably take it easy for about 50 miles, then give it some hard running. might just be in my head but i always think an engine feels like its running much better when its being revved
sand-eel

23rd May 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
my mates dad who bought one of these

thrashed it on the autobahn about 20 mins from collecting it with 2 miles on the clock

porsche engines are run in at the factory
sand-eel

23rd May 08 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would change the oil after 100 miles and filter, again change oil at 500 miles without changing the filter and again at 1000 miles and change the filter this time.
ed

23rd May 08 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But why? What are you achieving? Somone give an answer that isn't 'I read this on the internet'...
sand-eel

24th May 08 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well the first oil change gets the bits of crap from the rebuild out.
right when you hone the bores it keeps oil stuck to the sides for better lubrication and also gives a sort of "sandpaper" finish to slowly grind the piston rings down so they fit flush with the bores, you have to get the piston rigs sitting flush before the bores get too smooth to grind down the rings, so don't give it death no because they won't have time to sit properly but also don't drive like a granny because they won't get ground down enough to sit flush.
ed

24th May 08 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You should have built the engine in a clean enviroment. If there is crap in the engine from the re-build then you have failed.

The bores have been honed so you don't need to run them in. In the old days you had to run the engine in because you needed the right ammount of polishing and scraping on them. To little revs and you'd polish the bores which would lead to overheating. Too many revs and you'd over scrape the bores and it would burn oil. Piston rings made to very high tolerences and having a considerbly better design along with honing mean that the bores don't need to be run in at all.

Also, to people who think that an oil change needs to be done after fitting new rings to remove metal particals, what rings are you using that causes that. OE spec rings don't need an oil change 100 miles after fitting.

And to people who think that bearing cases need to be run in. Your con-rods and crank shaft don't even sit on the bearing cases. If they did then they would be sitting on high quality cartridge bearings. Your crankshaft and conrods sit on a film of high pressure oil. The only time you get contact is when there is low oil pressure, or your bearings are fucked from not being made/fitted properly.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Running in 22 database queries in 0.0134270 seconds