corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Why are houses never as good as they seem??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why are houses never as good as they seem??
Kathryn W

User status: Offline
25th Apr 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to look at a house this afternoon.

Was on the market the other month, but was took off due to refurbishment. Hopes where getting good, thought it'd be a half decent house.

Pictures looked good, along with the description.

It was a mess. Stunk of damp as soon as we walked in, skirting boards hanging off the walls, wires coming out of everywhere, holes in numourous places. Taps and pipes dripping everywhere in the kitchen. Smashes in the windows, more holes in the walls. Wall paper ripped off everywere, side of the bath smashed in.

Was really pissed off at the fact there was no refurbishment done at all.

Would be so much easier if the estate agents had actually told us about it all before hand

/Rant over - Looks like we're going to have to up our price, or spend a small fortune on something that will take forever to make 'home'
Colin

26th Apr 08 at 00:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wasit cheap though, cosmetic stuff can always be sorted, you'd probably want to do 70% of what needs done anyway!!

If the price is right its not a problem!
John

26th Apr 08 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not one of the things you mentioned costs any money to fix.

If it's a bargain buy it, if not don't.

Simple.
Kathryn W

26th Apr 08 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was up for £104k 6K cheaper than when it was up the other week.

Would need at least £5k-£10k on making i better. Thats without making it look prtty
mattk

26th Apr 08 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly the thing im looking for TBH

well will be in about 9 - 12 months
nova_gteuk

26th Apr 08 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My parents house was exactly the same and we moved in,with no central heating,damp most places,every wall the plaster had come off,it needed gutting all the way through.

But we moved in and my father done it out while we lived in it..was a bargain,they bought it outright for 30k ten years ago out of their savings,so their now mortgage free.

Its now all done out nice and i still live here with my dad,its worth 140k now
Jay

26th Apr 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most houses that have been vacant smell of damp, especially with the weather we are having, due to no heating being on in the house and it just constantly cold and moisture in the air. Nothing a bit of shake and vac cant sort out, airing out the house etc. Everything you've mentioned doesnt sound like £10ks work, we done a full rip out building partition walls, knocking down walls, all new frames and doors throughout brand new fitted kitchen and bathroom, every room plastered and fully decorated etc etc etc for roughly £8k.
Andrew

26th Apr 08 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a good start really. Ally make her house a home.

Alternativly you go for a new build which are a bit cheaper but still going to be a lot more than a house that needs work.
mattk

26th Apr 08 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want house that needs work, I suppose im in the trade to do the work though,

a plasterer is probably the only tradesman Id use, shit plastering reaaly shows up

Gaz

26th Apr 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mind moving into a decent one as long as it doesnt need to much work which we're unable to do ourselves.

We ideally need a house we can move straight into, thats liveable....

The search continues
Ally

6th May 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Thanks And, but i would just like to add, 2 years in and i still have alot of work to do
Ian
Site Administrator

7th May 08 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So offer less.

Most of what you list you would be doing anyway. The smell will go when you air it and get heating on properly unless the survey picks up damp in which case adjust the offer accordingly. Skirting boards, wiring, holes, dripping taps, wall paper and the side on the bath is not the end of the world. Probably the window is the most expensive thing but if its secure and you're in no rush for it then you'll probably find something second hand that will suit.

Hopefully other buyers, particularly those with kids will be put off. In the mean while if you are prepared to sort it you can pick up a bargain. Don't rule it out.
Andrew

7th May 08 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ally
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Thanks And, but i would just like to add, 2 years in and i still have alot of work to do

I've found you're never happy with it, always something you want to buy or something you want to do.

I keep getting hit with repairs laterly. Had a new door put on the back and then decided to go for windows too. Now a couple of radders have decided to leak quite badly. Need to get them sorted fairly soon. They've rusted from the inside through.

I'd love to gut a house and put my own stamp on it. But i'd have to pay someone to do most of the work due to my long working hours. Lack of pay is a problem too

New Poll