corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » tempted...what fast turbo diesel can i get for £4k (hatchback)???

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tempted...what fast turbo diesel can i get for £4k (hatchback)???
corsa_rob

User status: Offline
   20th Apr 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i had budget of £4000 to spend on a turbo diesel...thinking of miles per gallon more and more now...want like sub 8 secs 0-60mph really!?
mattk

20th Apr 08 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

summat 2.0 TDi vag
John

20th Apr 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be 1.9tdi at that price, doubt you'll get much sub 8 seconds either tbh.
AlunJ

20th Apr 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Volvo V70 T5
G.C.M

20th Apr 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VAG as above. Look for a Golf TDi get a 115/130bhp model (cheaper) and if required you can, change injectors, intercooler and a quick remap can see 180bhp/200bhp but you may need a clutch upgrade depending on how you drive
John

20th Apr 08 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
Volvo V70 T5

T5 diesel
John G

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_rob
If i had budget of £4000 to spend on a turbo diesel...thinking of miles per gallon more and more now...want like sub 8 secs 0-60mph really!?

buy my astra 1.7 tdi if your thinking of mpg, its not fast by any means but 600miles to a tank, works out to around 49mpg
richc

quote:

You not get any standard derv hatch that will do 60 in under 8 seconds especially for 4k

Dont get ropped on by the diesel thing. Think of the ever increasing prices aswell with diesel tending to by bout 10 p more now then petrol so your saving is getting less and less!

But i would say a 306hdi. Map it with intercooler. Probs 130bhp will be nippish, but you wont do a 7 secs to 60mph

The only reason i would say get a derv is if you do 30,000 miles a year (or more) or you like low rev driving. Thats it.

richc

20th Apr 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by G.C.M
VAG as above. Look for a Golf TDi get a 115/130bhp model (cheaper) and if required you can, change injectors, intercooler and a quick remap can see 180bhp/200bhp but you may need a clutch upgrade depending on how you drive

He said for 4 grand. He will be looky to get a 10 year old with with under 100k on for 4 grand never mind spending thousands on the engine!
AlunJ

20th Apr 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Volvo V70 T5

T5 diesel

lol shhh! don't upset me in my dreams lol

[Edited on 20-04-2008 by AlunJ]
John

20th Apr 08 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesels aren't about 0-60 either, if thats all you're worried about you'll not be showing off down the pub.

Sitting at 70 in 6th and putting your foot down slightly to get to 90 to overtake and then sitting there at under 3k rpm is where its at.
John G

20th Apr 08 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Diesels aren't about 0-60 either, if thats all you're worried about you'll not be showing off down the pub.

Sitting at 70 in 6th and putting your foot down slightly to get to 90 to overtake and then sitting there at under 3k rpm is where its at.

definetly thats what i love about the astra! sit on mway all day, quiet as a petrol at 70! an diesel gauge hardly moves
Mike GSi

20th Apr 08 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Volvo V70 D5
mk4_astra

20th Apr 08 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the seat ibiza cupra diesel is 160bhp and will do 0-60 in 7.1 but you will need to double your budget.

as someone else said none of the other derv hatches will do 0-60 in under 8 secs either so best off getting a skoda fabia vrs/ seat ibiza fr tdi and saving for a remap.

anything with a vw or audi badge is just going to out of your budget
corsa_rob

21st Apr 08 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought vag was the only options tbh honest...i wudnt go for a golf over a seat or skoda...they are are just the poor man's version (me) haha!...i wish to do a conversion on my sport but think fluff that and get something different...172 clio is looking more and more of the option but MPG!!! is going to cost alot...need to start living closer to work then lol...cheers for suggestions maybe i will just stick with petrol for now...still in love with the corsa...so im thinking XE it and get a shitter...maybe an r5 standard or an old golf mark 2?! aslong as its a good handler, mpg isnt below 30 and not stupidly slow id be happy...allways have the corsa for the speed dunno whether to do my own conversion or just pay someone to do it...cant afford £1500 in labour though! lol
mattk

21st Apr 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love the way deisels drive, I cant see me having another petrol unless im in the situation were the car I can afford doesnt come in derv form
Rob H

21st Apr 08 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
I love the way deisels drive, I cant see me having another petrol unless im in the situation were the car I can afford doesnt come in derv form

You like the way diesels drive, or you like the way Turbo cars drive?

I drove a couple of the works 2.0TDi golfs and thought they were pretty poor compared to how much people seem to rave about them. Power delivery on them is pretty crap, and when you get in the power band, it's time to change gear . Off the line was pathetic without driving it hard.

[Edited on 21-04-2008 by Rob H]
Tommy L

21st Apr 08 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

except i don't have 6th

[Edited on 21-04-2008 by corsa_tomtom]
mk4_astra

21st Apr 08 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
172 clio is looking more and more of the option but MPG!!!

172/182 are known for returning very good mpg, iirc 35mpg mixed driving, 40+ on the motorway

also you really need to put the milage in to make diesel the better option, think its around 2 years for the average person to start seeing the benefits if you work out the extra cost of diesel cars and the diesel itself
John

21st Apr 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that 2 year thing applys when buying a second hand 4k diesel, unless the equivalent petrol is thousands cheaper of course.

I know what you mean though.
mattk

21st Apr 08 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
quote:
Originally posted by mattk

You like the way diesels drive, or you like the way Turbo cars drive?

I drove a couple of the works 2.0TDi golfs and thought they were pretty poor compared to how much people seem to rave about them. Power delivery on them is pretty crap, and when you get in the power band, it's time to change gear . Off the line was pathetic without driving it hard.

[Edited on 21-04-2008 by Rob H]

I never rag mine off the line, I like to have my power from low down and dont really get a buz out of reving it to 7k

90mph at 2.7 k in 6th suits me... Or even better 1k in 5th at 35

I like the sound to, I think people are still scared to admit deisels are cool
John

21st Apr 08 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel are cool, I loved my fabia.
pow
Premium Member

21st Apr 08 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a 100k wanked Ibiza Sport for that.
Colin

21st Apr 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Golf 115 GT tdi - I almost bought one before finding my 130. Dont let higher miles put you off there great cars!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » tempted...what fast turbo diesel can i get for £4k (hatchback)??? 22 database queries in 0.0991220 seconds