corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Track Car?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Track Car?
hugefoot

User status: Offline
12th Apr 08 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just read about Jas's fiesta track car, what do you need if you were to build a track car and use it?

Trailer?
Garage or Driveway?
Do you just tax it as SORN, don't need insurance?

How much is it to take a car on the track??
AK

12th Apr 08 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

edit/ delete you thread in Gen Chat please.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by hugefoot
Just read about Jas's fiesta track car, what do you need if you were to build a track car and use it?

Trailer?
Garage or Driveway?
Do you just tax it as SORN, don't need insurance?

How much is it to take a car on the track??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly depends on how serious/commited you are.

If its just a couple of trackdays a year, use your road car.

If its a couple a month... then think about another car.

Then that too comes down to other factors, mainly budget!

Cheapest option would be a road legal hot hatch.
Running a non road legal car is expensive. Trailer hire, tow cars etc arent cheap.

Do you have a budget in mind? If its only a couple of thousand, keep it road legal.

hugefoot

12th Apr 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking strip out an old hot hatch, e.g. fiesta / 205 / clio / corsa, then do basic upgrades similar to Jas - suspension, brakes, cams, chip, exhaust, cage.

I wouldn't want to drive it on the road, im 19 and wouldn't get insurance, but if my dad were to drive it there? - This seems an expensive option, wouldn't it be easier to have a SORN car, that then won't need MOT or Insurance and just tow it, we have a golf with a tow bar?

Then is all you need track insurance, which you can get by the day?
How much is it to take your car on a track?

I am just looking for a project over summer that is fairly cheap and this could be an option.
Norledge

12th Apr 08 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by hugefoot
I wouldn't want to drive it on the road, im 19 and wouldn't get insurance, but if my dad were to drive it there? - This seems an expensive option, wouldn't it be easier to have a SORN car, that then won't need MOT or Insurance and just tow it, we have a golf with a tow bar?

Then is all you need track insurance, which you can get by the day?
How much is it to take your car on a track?

I'm 20 and currently drive a 1.6 106 xsi, and a imported honda... as long as you dont cage it, small mods won't cost you anything... the best way is buy a 106, strip it out, mild cams, remap and a good exhaust and thats all you'll need for the occasional day.

Track day prices vary a lot... starting from about £50 up to £300+, depends on day, track etc etc etc

A good trailor is going to cost you several hundred squids, why not just put that into the insurance???
Norledge

12th Apr 08 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And if you're only running a £1000 car, insurance isn't worth the paper its written on IMO...
Butler

12th Apr 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You dont need cams or remap. For that money you could get an LSD and have alot more fun with it. Any cheap fiesta, 205, 106 will do. Strip it out. Buckets and harnesses are quite essential if youre serious but not unless you are getting a cage which would be wiser than any engine mods. Think safety first, then uprate parts which will take the most battering, suspension/bushes, strut braces would be a good buy, engine mounts, tyres, give it a good service.
AK

12th Apr 08 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for that money, save your money for paying to get on track days and just use it

[Edited on 12-04-2008 by AK]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Track Car? 22 database queries in 0.0283771 seconds