corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » c20xe to c20let swap (corsa b)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author c20xe to c20let swap (corsa b)
stoner_corsa

User status: Offline
1st Apr 08 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

change of plan, im goin for the turbo route now, picking up a rebuilt c20let this weekend with phase 3.5 software

few things i would like to know, what intercooler can i use to fit behind a gsi bumper (its a crime to cut one of them)

what radiator will i have to use for the boost pipes to fit past for the intercooler?

if anybody has done the conversion or knows about it any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, pics would be nice!

im going to be replacing a c20xe with the let, just want to find out as much as poss before i start the conversion!

cheers, dave
Olsrey

1st Apr 08 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You going to be using an F20 gearbox or F28?
DAZ1985

1st Apr 08 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

frontera intercooler will fit behind gsi bumper, but that will be to small for ph3.5 kind of power

standard sport rad will be fine on a let and still have room for boost pipe. unless you want custom

all engine mounts the same but if your going from an f20 to f28 then you will need another mount

unless you've got already then id go for bigger driveshafts with big block cv's

then conversion itself is like doing an xe just more pipes etc
luke85

1st Apr 08 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A frontera intercooler is a popular one on the corsa LET but to get air to it and get the best out of it you will need to cut the bumper. Phase 3.5 will need an effective intercooler because of the higher boost levels.

Ive kept the standard corsa radiator and I think there would just be room either side of it for the boost pipes (I went for a chargecooler instead)

When you buy a rad fan it will need to go in front of the radiator so the turbo doesnt melt it, as I found out.

I figured out where I was gonna run my boost pipes than ordered the elbows and metal straight pieces from demon tweeks
stoner_corsa

2nd Apr 08 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok fellas nice one, my corsa used to have aircon so the rad is huge so ill try and get a standard sport one from somewhere, il get a pacet fan from tweeks, but what sort of intercooler will i be looking at? ive seen a white gsi with a nice intercooler on migweb, was hidden behind the bumper but the crash bar was cut sightly for it to fit, think his name was tomgsi is he on here?

p.s im using the f20 box, ive got cavalier gsi shafts and hubs on it, so i would imagine theyll take the power because they look the same as cav turbo shafts and they handle the power.

[Edited on 02-04-2008 by stoner_corsa]
stoner_corsa

2nd Apr 08 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-C20LET-Nova-Astra-Calibra_W0QQitemZ250231794348QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

would this intercooler be any good, im new to this turbo thing lol so bear with me
Dan Lewis

2nd Apr 08 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stoner_corsa
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-C20LET-Nova-Astra-Calibra_W0QQitemZ250231794348QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

would this intercooler be any good, im new to this turbo thing lol so bear with me

Think thats the size of the frontera one, so probly not.
stoner_corsa

2nd Apr 08 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-FRONT-MOUNTED-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-FMIC-DRIFT_W0QQitemZ250230405619QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

what about the bigger one? says they deal with chris astley? cant be too bad then??
luke85

2nd Apr 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A frontera one would be fine for phase 3.5 IMO but If I was you and didnt want to cut the bumper Id try looking for a wide short one which will get air across most of the surface. And intercooler which is only half exposed to flowing air is less effective than one half its size because a lot of the air effectivley bypasses the intercooler
TomSBD

3rd Apr 08 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im running phase 3 on mine and i used this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-G-GSI-VXR-FRONT-MOUNT-TURBO-INTERCOOLER-FMIC_W0QQitemZ250232628335QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and if your using a f20 i wont last trust me. there will be no sign of it going then it will just go bang and strip the gears off

mine hides quite well but it is cut out

stoner_corsa

3rd Apr 08 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the f20 will do till i can get a f28, gonna put a diff in it thatll give it some strenght. my mate runnes a carb'd xe in a corsa at 260-270 bhp with a diff in a f16 and that seems to have lasted.

what bore exhaust you running on phase 3? 2.5"? only got a sportex at the mo and thats 2" i think so will need a new exhaust made up. any ideas on any good places?

also what fuel pump you using mate??

Also ive orderd an intercooler off ebay, will prob be here monday!

[Edited on 03-04-2008 by stoner_corsa]
luke85

3rd Apr 08 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should really get an uprated fuel pump for phase 3.5, a corsa MPI pump will do for a standard LET but phase 3.5 is quite high power. I bought mine from Chris Astley and it runs well, Not sure of the boost for phase 3.5 but im holding 1.25 bar and needed VXR injectors to go with the pump.

I cut up a calibra turbo downpipe and welded it at angles to mate up with my corsa cat back magnex exhaust. Just depends if your handy with a welder really
stoner_corsa

3rd Apr 08 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well should be able to sort it for now but really i could do with a 2.5" at least as that is wat cav turbo is standard i think, ive heard people say about using a v6 fuel pump from a cav but i looked in my vauxhall parts list and there the same part number as a corsa mpi one??? weird

mite need vxr injectors too but if it ran well in the cav before then well see how it goes for now
luke85

3rd Apr 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the standard pump supplies about as much fuel as the cav turbo one I believe, and the V6 is less power than the turbo so wont have a bigger pump
stoner_corsa

5th Apr 08 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting the engine after so ill see what he was running in the cav and go from there, has anybody had to move the rad foreward for the turbo?
TomSBD

5th Apr 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the f20 will do till i can get a f28, gonna put a diff in it thatll give it some strenght. my mate runnes a carb'd xe in a corsa at 260-270 bhp with a diff in a f16 and that seems to have lasted.

[Edited on 03-04-2008 by stoner_corsa]

yeh your mate will be fine as he will prob have only 180 ft/lb of torque at most. the lsd in the f20 wont make know odds as that isnt the problem. they normal just stripped the gears clean off the main shaft, usually 3rd
DAZ1985

5th Apr 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well should be able to sort it for now but really i could do with a 2.5" at least as that is wat cav turbo is standard i think, ive heard people say about using a v6 fuel pump from a cav but i looked in my vauxhall parts list and there the same part number as a corsa mpi one??? weird

standard cav turbo pipe is 2.25 not 2.5 iirc

V6 fuel pump is the same as a corsa mpi pump
stoner_corsa

6th Apr 08 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got the engine now, intercooler should be here monday, then gonna measure up and order the boost pipes i need. put a new cambelt on the engine and give it a good clean and service.

i need a flat flywheel for a xe/let has anybody got one?

then hopefully in the next few weeks ill be putting the engine in and seeing how it goes

New Poll