corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Throttle Body Porting...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Throttle Body Porting...
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Apr 08 at 17:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought i would give it a go

im in the process at the moment of just cleaning it up a little.. you know, making it all nice and sparkley.

so i took it off the top didnt look that bad, quite clean.. the underneath on the other hand.. well... very very sooty.. no not sweep sooty..

here are some pics..

The dirty side, i had to scratch this off..

clean side

here is the lip im assuming you mean we have to take off, you cant see it very well tho

the cleaning, before

and after on the other side, not attempted the butterfly valve yet.

i will have to buy a dremel or something similar to do that actual porting tho..

EarlofBarnet

1st Apr 08 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think you'd get a decent circular profile using a dremel. Would it not be better to get some kind of large abraisive circular drill bit to go right through the TB to get a consistant size right through? Then get a larger butterfly to suit the enlarged size?

Loved the polished finished around the TB though, looks ace

[Edited on 01-04-2008 by EarlofBarnet]
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Apr 08 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a coupe of the lads on z22se.co.uk have used a dril bit and i suspect that it should work ok, aslong as i take my time..

the full throttle body will look like that when i have finished tonight..
EarlofBarnet

1st Apr 08 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just be extremerly careful when 'porting' around the butterfly. If you take off even a tiny bit too much then air will pass the TB even when it is closed (ie. when you're off the throttle/idle etc). This might confuse the ECU as more air will be coming in to the inlet manifold than it thinks should be.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Apr 08 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be amazed if you see any gains, or feel any difference Chris.
Paul_J

1st Apr 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I'd be amazed if you see any gains, or feel any difference Chris.

Cleaning it is a good idea tho, but i agree with robin. not worth the effort.
Superlite Ltd.

1st Apr 08 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine with a dremel tool

Probably hasn't made a blind bit of difference but it was a little afternoon project

Is the Z22SE fly by wire then? Infact, are all the Z prefix engine fly by wire now?

You might as well do it Chris, providing you don't spend loadsa money doing it. Even more so if your thinking about bolting a blower on it
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Apr 08 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont realise until you feel it just how much alu there is stopping air blockage..

here is a before and after of someone elses

after

I finished polishing it up.. not even touched it with a dremel yet tho..

here are the pics

and i cleaned up the alu bells aswell

before

after (yes its the other side but it looked the same)

[Edited on 01-04-2008 by chris_uk]
Robin
Premium Member

1st Apr 08 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, but unless you increase the size of the throttle butterfly, the restriction is still there. It'll only be as good as the smallest part, making the path through smoother will help slightly, but it's always going to bottleneck.
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Apr 08 at 22:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of cause robin i agree.. but you can have a certain size hole with shite in the way (ie throttle body standard) and then clean all the shit away (ported throttle body) then the airflow is more direct..

some of the lads have put on 68mm throttle bodies but have had problems with the ammount of air going into the system causeing rough idles and EML lights..

id rather not have that but know that i have modified the 58mm one to the best it can be.

i am also putting the 2.4 inlet manifold on the car and with the ported TB ppl have noticed UPTO 20bhp on some engines with a slight drop of torque and a much better throttle responce and freer revving..

its worth doing
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Apr 08 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have done the inlet manifold swap on a customers car, gave decent gains higher up the revs but lost more than he had gained lower down.
Ryk

2nd Apr 08 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How's mine look??

chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Apr 08 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dave, i have heard that you loose some torque and gain BHP.. but on the whole a worthy mod.

a lads results from z22se

200cell cat
No precat
Custom backbox
K&n filter

Maximum Power -Engine 152.4 bhp @ 5419rpm
Maximum Torque 157.2 lbf.ft @4287 rpm

As Above with 2.4 Inlet fitted

Maximum Power - Engine 172.4 bhp @ 6565rpm
Maximum Torque- 149.5 lbf.ft @ 5120
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Apr 08 at 08:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats a 20hp peak gain from the changing inlet alone :groupjump:, the dyno tech mentioned right away that the car was pulling straight to the limiter and that the fueling was perfect thumbsup The graph also shows nice smooth lines all the way though the rev range

before the mani.

after

[Edited on 03-04-2008 by chris_uk]
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Apr 08 at 08:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

please bear in mind these graphs were not done with a remap..

bolt off bolt on and rr'd

i would be getting a stage2 remap from courtney or tms.
Superlite Ltd.

3rd Apr 08 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats very shiney Ryk

c20xe throttle bodys look like an egg
Stu_22

3rd Apr 08 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just done a bit of work on my corsa throttle body

Before

chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Apr 08 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know what your cars are like to mine but too much air can cause problems..
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Apr 08 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well... its done.. i jsut need to get some countersunk screws to make the most of the porting but its done, and the throttle responce is better i would say..

pcis and vids coming.
fazza

5th Apr 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are you guys using to polish these?
can i get a bigger inlet for my c20xe
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Apr 08 at 13:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just used a dremel.. with a polishing bit.. but i used the sanding wheel to take off the metal then i used 800grit W&D to make it smooth
chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Apr 08 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and then polished

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Throttle Body Porting... 22 database queries in 0.1845551 seconds