corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa handling relating to wheel size (PS do 205/45/16" tyres fit corsas?)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa handling relating to wheel size (PS do 205/45/16" tyres fit corsas?)
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Mar 08 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car currently has standard 14" gsi alloys and I find that it has a lack of grip. If you accelerate hard out of a corner etc they will spin and understeer.

Would putting on some 16"wheels do for the handing? Slower acceleration??? more grip??? I would run tyres of a 40 profile to get the same wheel diameter as the current ones.

The set I have my eye on have 205/45/16 tyres on. Are they too wide for a corsa (wheels have the correct et49 offset). Seems a shame to bin four perfectly good tyres if I buy them.

Cheers Gavin

[Edited on 22-03-2008 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Simon_16v

22nd Mar 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 205/50/15's on the they caught very slightly so you may get away with it due to smaller profile
Timbaland
Banned

22nd Mar 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 4 205/40's on my Mille Milgia's and it handled like on rails lowered 40mm.

Think you might find a change in tyres would make a big difference. I had 195's on before the 205's and it was pretty dodgy.
gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What size alloys were they on Mr Timberland?

TomWilly

22nd Mar 08 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have only driven one on 13s 14s and 15s, I like how the 15s handled.

they grip suprisingly more than 14s and feels good in bends.
Jenko_Sport

22nd Mar 08 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15's with 195/40 profile tyres
Jordan C

22nd Mar 08 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U dont get 195/40 15s
Timbaland
Banned

22nd Mar 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787

Shit, 16's mate.

At the time about 6 of my mates had corsa's Alll had different alloy sizes ranging from 14's to 17's and 16's were by far the best for wheel/tyre/handling combonations.
Jenko_Sport

22nd Mar 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those were 195/40/15's
gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Timbaland
quote:

Shit, 16's mate.

At the time about 6 of my mates had corsa's Alll had different alloy sizes ranging from 14's to 17's and 16's were by far the best for wheel/tyre/handling combonations.

Did you not have any problems with the 205's rubbing on anything?

My old corsa had 16"s on 195/45/16 tyres and I remember that been alot better. Although it was a 1.2 8v so never really got up enough speed to test it properly

Timbaland
Banned

22nd Mar 08 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Did you not have any problems with the 205's rubbing on anything?

My old corsa had 16"s on 195/45/16 tyres and I remember that been alot better. Although it was a 1.2 8v so never really got up enough speed to test it properly

No, actually. never had any problems with it atall actually.
Adam_B

22nd Mar 08 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the make of the tyre will make a big difference as well, dont fit nankangs or any other TDFs if you want to go round corners
gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers timberland

Adam yer I know fitting good tyres made some improvment to the 14"'s

16" wheels in question have goodyears on so I assume they wont be too bad

Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Mar 08 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

205/45/16 are a bit big and as Adam says, type of tyre will affect things just as much as size.
gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know what the market is like for almost new tyres as I dont really want them cluttering up my shed when they are perfectly usuable.

What tyres would people recomend for 14" then? as I may try another set to see if there is any improvment

Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Mar 08 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do also remember that grip is generally a compromise on wear. I had a few sets of Yokohamas in the past, fantastic in the dry but terrible in the wet and they don't last long.

What do you currently have on there?
Timbaland
Banned

22nd Mar 08 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
205/45/16 are a bit big and as Adam says, type of tyre will affect things just as much as size.

Like i said, I never had any issues with 205/45's all round on mine and that was lowered 40 on the correct offset wheels etc.

Im sure they were anyway.

Edit: Yeah they were just checked receipts for tyres.
Ian
Site Administrator

22nd Mar 08 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 195/40 are 22.1" diameter compared to 23.3" for the 205/45. Standard is 22.7".

Larger diameter would of course mean more traction as your gearing is longer. I personally would go for a proper brand of smaller tyre and if it breaks traction, slow down.
Adam_B

22nd Mar 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

205s are heavier as well, that combined with the larger diameter will make a noticable difference to acceleration imo.
gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Do also remember that grip is generally a compromise on wear. I had a few sets of Yokohamas in the past, fantastic in the dry but terrible in the wet and they don't last long.

What do you currently have on there?

Perelli (sp) P6000 on the rear and goodyears on the front (cant tell you which type )

gavin18787
Premium Member

22nd Mar 08 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
My 195/40 are 22.1" diameter compared to 23.3" for the 205/45. Standard is 22.7".

Larger diameter would of course mean more traction as your gearing is longer. I personally would go for a proper brand of smaller tyre and if it breaks traction, slow down.

What do you reckon to the way yours drives on the 195/40's ?

What makes would you recomend for the standard wheels? I just got perellis as thats what they origionally came with.
TBH I would prefer this as I am happy with the way my car looks on the standard wheels. Just tempted by these allensos that have come up as I have always fancied a set

willhouse

22nd Mar 08 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my old corsa handled like a shopping trolley when i had 16" softstars and Hankook tyres, i then went down to 15's with budget tyres and it was 10 times better, and would have been better still with decent tyres.
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Mar 08 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What 15" wheels would look good on my car?

Kurt

23rd Mar 08 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 195/45/16 goodyear f1's gsd3's.. have to be the best tyre i have so far! great in the wet and dry..

what kind of suspenion/handling mods do you have going on?

theres a few things you can do to improve the handling i.e whiteline rear arb and removing the front standard arb, although this can cause some oversteer
Fad

23rd Mar 08 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What 15" wheels would look good on my car?

Then Astra GSI fanblade style wheels will look spot on IMO

195/45/15 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2

GSD 3's have been getting bad press.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa handling relating to wheel size (PS do 205/45/16" tyres fit corsas?) 23 database queries in 0.2036891 seconds