corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Which car would you have ...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which car would you have ...
Rob B

User status: Offline
19th Mar 08 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in a predicament, i think my mind's made up but like a few opinions.

I'm in the process of sorting out a deal on a clio 172, pretty much track spec with full interior. link below

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=418761

This would be a swap for my ibiza 210 bhp stage 2 ibiza .... what do people reckon it will be like to live the clio ?, i love my ibiza, but its more of a cruiser than a track car as such, nice and comfy, the clio will be more raw i think, now i love throwing my car's around, going for drives down country roads etc which i feel arnt possible in the ibiza cause as i said its more of a cruiser...

Anyway im going to ramble on for ages so what you think... ? Will i get bored and want to sell it, im more worried about getting annoyed with the rawness of the clio more than anything...

Thanks Rob.
AK

19th Mar 08 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

track spec

looks to be a normal road car
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why i said pretty much, just needs a few little additions really cage being the main one...

I would say thats track spec, good brakes, good engine, good suspension, just need stripping and a cage this is my opinion though
Riles

19th Mar 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks ok pal but why track spec it then put a sound system in surely defeats the object

seriously though id keep the ibiza wont depreciate in value as much as the clio.
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill be buying a clio either way once the ibiza sells, just this seems like a good option with the spec it comes with..

The sound system would be removed obviously, i said PRETTY much track spec
Paul_J

19th Mar 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Riles
looks ok pal but why track spec it then put a sound system in surely defeats the object

seriously though id keep the ibiza wont depreciate in value as much as the clio.

doubt it's ever seen a track

STRIP IT STRIP IT STRIP IT STRIP IT
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh i give up i said pretty much Track spec
Graham88

19th Mar 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't look very track spec

Joking

I'd stick with the Ibiza though, you haven't even had it on track yet, I'd wait until then
Paul_J

19th Mar 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graham makes a good point actually!

Take the ibiza on track and see how it fares...

Let me put it this way, if you get thrashed by a blue 106 gti, sell it and get a clio 172 cup.

If you beat the little blue 106 gti, keep it and i'll sell my car and get a clio 172 cup
Paul_J

19th Mar 08 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But in reality so many people i know, buy parts for their car, before they ever even do their first track day.

There's cars on Saxo Sports Club and stuff that have had everything spent on it, literally thousands and thousands and thousands... the car's are awesome...

But the owners A) have never been on track B) never took their cars on track standard or throughout the build

So generally, they bought a lot of crap that wasn't necisary, as they'd of gone just as quick without it and secondly they mince around the track as they've never been on track before, or don't want to smash up their 15k's worth of bits and pieces in their car.

Either way, Fail on both accounts.

I just think buy a car / use the car you've got on track... see how it does and decide what to do from there.
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is a reason why there are no video's of ibiza's on track anywhere i think
Graham88

19th Mar 08 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because everybody is gay and sells their lovely looking cars for Clio's

Following on from what Paul said, take it on track, if you don't like it in the slightest then get the Clio. If you enjoy it but things need tweaked, then spend a bit of cash on it and do more trackdays until you're happy with it. Then abuse it
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just never thought of turbo car's espicially one's like my ibiza would have any chance of being decent on track, its not particularly good around small country roads, so cant see it doing much better on track really..
AK

19th Mar 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very good advice..

our old GTR had about as half as much 'bits' on it than others it would run rings round on track.... use it, use your brain.....

Decent susp, tyres and brakes will make any car ok on track.... add decent geometry setting in there and with practice you'll have a quick car...
AK

19th Mar 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob - Our (old )skyline is scray on country roads.... but on smoother track it is great.

Susp is too firm.

Just letting you know that it doesnt mean anything.... just find what you like by trying at all before chopping it in.

If its crap on track (it will be if its running normal tyres, brakes, suspension) and you hate it... sell it
Rob B

19th Mar 08 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i see what your saying, its just things like power delivery etc, my turbo is dead by 6k, only holds 10 psi but spikes at 23 - 24 psi, so its great for driving around normally but when you want to go quick its a bit, well, boring really..
AK

19th Mar 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just dont break as much and use higher gears
Nick-S

20th Mar 08 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice to see you convinsed yourself to buy a proper car rob
broster
Premium Member

21st Mar 08 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on track a revvy clio will be better than the cupra IMO, Fears one has a few choice engine mods too which leave alot of scope for future tuning too should you want it, especially the standalone management.

if your serious about going on track and having fun id swap the cupra for the clio.

i have a 172 cup and use it everyday, its a great drive, not tracked it yet and doubt i will, its not what i bought it for, but the "ring" with it.
MGM

21st Mar 08 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most of the ibizas I've seen on track are the older n/a 2.0 16v, 2.0 8v ones, I don't think I've ever seen one on track going fast enough to make me stop and have a good look. That said the newer Leons were rapid at Brands, so they must be alright. I would do as already suggested, get it out there, see how it does, maybe blag a passenger ride in a Clio as well to get a feel for them
ali_corsa

24th Mar 08 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

out of interest rob, why go for a 172 that some one has already started to do stuff to, why not find one standard and make it youre own?
Fad

24th Mar 08 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ali_corsa
out of interest rob, why go for a 172 that some one has already started to do stuff to, why not find one standard and make it youre own?

Because its plain stupid to fork out on the same items when you can buy one already done for not a lot more.

Wont change the fact the car is still very good will it?
MGM

24th Mar 08 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the best performance/least cost tuning route on the 172 is pretty well established nowadays anyway. as long as its got the right bits on it, its a cheaper option than paying out yourself.
ali_corsa

24th Mar 08 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

Because its plain stupid to fork out on the same items when you can buy one already done for not a lot more.

Wont change the fact the car is still very good will it?

no it wont change the fact that the car for sale is a very good car with a good spec on it, and has had a good amount of money spent im not doubting that, i was just seeing why he doesnt buy one and start from scratch, i know some people to prefer to do this as they know what work has been done to it and the quality of work.
Jay

25th Mar 08 at 02:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i know some people to prefer to do this as they know what work has been done to it and the quality of work.

Judging by Fears previous's hes not the type of lad to skimp on things from what I know anyway, so its probably a good deal.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Which car would you have ... 22 database queries in 0.0976911 seconds