corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIY Welding - tool up

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DIY Welding - tool up
Colin

User status: Offline
11th Mar 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much will a 'cheap' welder set me back? Just a electric one, & some rods to get started & a mask?

Jades mini needs some welding done to get it an MOT, I was going to give it a bash myself

[Edited on 11-03-2008 by Colin]
Toby
Premium Member

11th Mar 08 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

machine mart start at around 150 for a mig
Vaux Lad

11th Mar 08 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above.
You wont need rods either, thats for stick/arc welding.

Get a gas mig welder, with a disposable bottle.
And do some practicing on sheet metal to get used to welding before attacking a car.
mithdons

11th Mar 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a cebora turbo 130 get them quite cheap now of daysand good way to start
Colin

11th Mar 08 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gas weldings alot more dificult isnt it? Im just after a small MMA 240v welder. Ive used one before its up to the job I require it for.
richc

11th Mar 08 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Gas weldings alot more dificult isnt it? Im just after a small MMA 240v welder. Ive used one before its up to the job I require it for.

No depends what you learned to weld with first. Where abouts needs welding?
cesil

11th Mar 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gas welding aint hard mate, mig would be best for what you need tho.
richc

11th Mar 08 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by cesil

Not quiet mate....
Colin

11th Mar 08 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to weld on boot floor & sill, planned on plating the boot with sheet metal & cutting out rotten sill & welding in a new one.
richc

11th Mar 08 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Need to weld on boot floor & sill, planned on plating the boot with sheet metal & cutting out rotten sill & welding in a new one.

So would include abit of overhead? Would advise it tbh with stick set unless your are experienced.

Mig would probs do he job better. But if you have never used a mig set, i would advise doing any overhead as its like learning to drive a F1 car before learning to drive a corsa if you get my drift. IE over head hardest posistion.

cesil

11th Mar 08 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:

Not quiet mate....

?? which part would you like me to be quiet about. gas aint hard or mig is best bet mate? i can do both and qualified so was giving my opinion
richc

11th Mar 08 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not quiet mate....

?? which part would you like me to be quiet about. gas aint hard or mig is best bet mate? i can do both and qualified so was giving my opinion

I ment quite - typo

I ment to the easy comment. If someone has no experience at all i wouldnt advise giving them getting a set and going to weld in strange posistions on a car. For one they wouldnt understand (if mig) what to do with gas, wire feed, power etc and just make a mess of it!

To me and you it might be easy as its an everyday thing for me (plater) but just trying not to give the impression to everyone on here that welding is piece of piss and people should try and repair their cars with no experience as it will end in tears

cesil

11th Mar 08 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not quiet mate....

I ment quite - typo

I ment to the easy comment. If someone has no experience at all i wouldnt advise giving them getting a set and going to weld in strange posistions on a car. For one they wouldnt understand (if mig) what to do with gas, wire feed, power etc and just make a mess of it!

To me and you it might be easy as its an everyday thing for me (plater) but just trying not to give the impression to everyone on here that welding is piece of piss and people should try and repair their cars with no experience as it will end in tears

totally agree with you mate, stange how many ppl think that welding is easy, it aint! specialy cars, old metal is not fun to weld if you dont have any experience
AndyCorsaSport

11th Mar 08 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just dont a front end on a R plate Mini at my work, welded on a new front panel, and fibreglassed both wings where they were rotten. Took some fucking time!
richc

11th Mar 08 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not quiet mate....

I ment quite - typo

totally agree with you mate, stange how many ppl think that welding is easy, it aint! specialy cars, old metal is not fun to weld if you dont have any experience

I get ded offensive when it comes to welding when total novices make it out to be easy I took real offence when there was a thread about welding a few months back and somebody said....and i quote.

" Yer weldings easy. I learned to do it on my dinner break "

Colin

11th Mar 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not saying weldings easy, not by a country mile & hence why im wanting to do stick welding which ive had a tiny bit of experience (making up pipe stands & brackets on a gas seperator at work) & not leap into something new like gas welding.
Vaux Lad

11th Mar 08 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arc/Stick welding is MUCH harder than mig welding.
Mig welding is the easiest method to learn
Colin

11th Mar 08 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a machine from a hire shop do? I get good rates from a place I used to work. Thought if I done all the prep work 1st & got everything more or less in place I could do the actual welding over a days hire? Saves buying the gear too, im not convinced id get the use to warrant buying new stuff thinking about it.....
richc

11th Mar 08 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Im not saying weldings easy, not by a country mile & hence why im wanting to do stick welding which ive had a tiny bit of experience (making up pipe stands & brackets on a gas seperator at work) & not leap into something new like gas welding.

I know mate im not implying you are in the slightest. I were referring to other threads and posts in the past.

If you have had a go with a stick set, i would carry on with a stick set. You do want to learn a total new method without a compitent person showing you.

If it were me i would be using a mig set for this.

Advise would be, try and set up joints out of scrap material that replica the sort of posistions that you will be doing on the car to give you an idea of what it will be like! (obv try and use same mtl thickness!).

If you want to know anything about setting up or something just drop me a Pm and i will try and help best i can!
richc

11th Mar 08 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Would a machine from a hire shop do? I get good rates from a place I used to work. Thought if I done all the prep work 1st & got everything more or less in place I could do the actual welding over a days hire? Saves buying the gear too, im not convinced id get the use to warrant buying new stuff thinking about it.....

Yer i would Hire tooooo! And get your self a 5" or so grinder, will come in handy!

[Edited on 11-03-2008 by richc]
cesil

11th Mar 08 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wasnt saying you said it was easy either colin, sorry if it came across that way! sorry for hijakin the thread aswell as said just do a load of practase(sp) before you start
BeArDy

11th Mar 08 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i was you mate dont just jump into the car and try weld away.
You need a good MIG welder with have GAS (not a GASLESS as there wank).
Practice is the only real way to learn and someone there who can tell you where your going wrong.
The main thing to look out for when MIG welding, then you welding it should sound like sizzling bacon in a pan.
DONOT use a ARC welder mate on the car as with not know what you are doing you will just blow holes in panels.
When you get onto the car make sure you have somone on fire watch and you move all carpets from the welded area.
Other things are try and make the area you are welding as clean as poss ANYONE can weld clean metal (my little lad when he was 7 could weld) BUT when you welding a rusty car its total differant and total differant settings.
Colin

11th Mar 08 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the sound advice guys....im not sure im cut out for doing this now

Fack it might aswell have a go.

Im planning on prepping everything 1st, get everything cut back & cleaned up, any patches made up ready to weld on - it doesnt have to be too tidy, just enough to pass the mot really.
Nismo

11th Mar 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH id just go with no more nails.
Colin

11th Mar 08 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
Ive just dont a front end on a R plate Mini at my work, welded on a new front panel, and fibreglassed both wings where they were rotten. Took some fucking time!

Any idea where the best place to buy panels for old minis is mate? Its an old mini im gonna be working on.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DIY Welding - tool up 22 database queries in 0.1032720 seconds