corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Pro's/Con's Of new homes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pro's/Con's Of new homes
Kathryn W

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 08 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and Gaz are going to look at some new builds later on tonight.

Whats the pro's and con's with them?

myke

3rd Mar 08 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(most) are thrown up quickly and use as cheap labour as possible.
I've seen some shocking work in some new builds lately.
also a lot are put in in very close proximity to many others so teh developer can make the most money per sqm, so you don't get massive amounts of space.
Expect cream carpets and magnolia walls unless you get to spec it yourself.

beneficially, you get to snag it, so they have to put right everything that your not happy or can pick faults with.
also they are built to fairly strict regulations, so they will be energy efficient and safe etc.
If you get in on the action soon enough then you can have a say in the decorations and fittings.

I'd get yourselves around to see some new builds and some existing properties and see what you prefer. You might find a new build too characterless, and harder to visualise how you might be able to make it.

BigSte

3rd Mar 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New builds are (in most cases) all stud walled and not really sound proofed so you can't fart without someone downstairs hearing you
Colin

3rd Mar 08 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thrown up by Jock McFaggots construction squad in half a shift after a morning at the boozer - or so some can look, no character, small rooms & not much surrounding land. On the flip side its brand new....no ones ever taken a shit in your toilet before you.

They can be good but I couldnt see myself settling in one for the long term.

I hate mass modern housing schemes - all those bloody speed bumps
myke

3rd Mar 08 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
New builds are (in most cases) all stud walled and not really sound proofed so you can't fart without someone downstairs hearing you

this isn't necesarily true.
there's a limit to noise reduction that is permissible through living space of adjoining houses or flats.
new builds either need to design to Robust details which are standard designs that have been previously proven to be acoustically sound, or have testing carried out on 10% of a development.
There's a chance that they can cheat a little and spec up the ones that are to be tested higher than the rest, but i think the tested units are usually picked at random.

quote:
Originally posted by Colin

....no ones ever taken a shit in your toilet before you

this isn't always the case either
Dean_W

3rd Mar 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mums house was built in the 60's. Can't hear anything through the walls, room to room.
My house is 10 years old, it creaks, and you can hear everything through the walls. Quality is shocking in places.

Only benefit is mine is nice and cosy all the time, wheras my mums always seems to be cold.

I don't like newly built houses, as they feel cheap and all look the same.
Ben J

3rd Mar 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We moved into a new build just before xmas. We got a great deal and although the house was already built so we couldn't choose the kitchen, tiling etc, we got carpets, light fittings, curtains and rear garden turfed and fenced all included.

You do get shrinkage etc, so cracks appear in the walls and near heavy use areas like round the stairs but you just complete a snagging list and get it all sorted out. We get a 2 year guarentee from Countryside Properties (the builders) and then the usual 10 year NHBC cover.

Only problem we have had id the back garden has sod all drainage and so is waterlogged all the time, but I will be calling them about it soon, to get it sorted.

Apart from that the build quality is great, and it does in no way feel cheaply done etc. And its great having a blank canvas to decorate as you wish.

We are over the moon with it and its great having a brand spanking new house and bathrooms, kitchen etc.

[Edited on 03-03-2008 by bjackso2x]
MikeE

4th Mar 08 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should be moving into a brand new 2bed eco home in september, which is timber framed. Im a carpenter so i know whats acceptable and expected so if i have to snag it they won't be getting out of anything i ask them todo after the first 12months is up Generaly speaking timber frame houses are made to a fairly good standard in the workshop its mainly the finishing work ie plastering that cracks as the house dries out and settles in as timber is a living thing so it moves slightly with the cliamate.

Another plus side is alot of builders offer carpet and white goods in the price
mattk

4th Mar 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Work on them, I hope never to own them, I hate them with a passion TBH

My mate has one and fell dwon the stars pissed and put a hold through the wall with his knee

they are thrown up in a silly amount of time

From start to handover on the last site I was on was 6 weeks
MikeE

4th Mar 08 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
I Work on them, I hope never to own them, I hate them with a passion TBH

My mate has one and fell dwon the stars pissed and put a hold through the wall with his knee

they are thrown up in a silly amount of time

From start to handover on the last site I was on was 6 weeks

better then brakeing his knee on block work i guess
Lisa

4th Mar 08 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love mine and the main reason i bought one was cos everything is covered by warranty which should in theory mean hassle free living for a couple of years...........also liked the fact that i picked my plot and everything in it...................people say they throw them up these days but mine took 8 bloody months

if you find one that is already built they offer some good deals and its worth asking what they will do, where i'm living they are currently offering anything from 25% deposit to £99 and move in on the houses already completed
Fad

4th Mar 08 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cons

Poor sound proofing
small rooms
not as much space per ££

Pro's
Most will have a NHBC gurantee for 10 years
heat efficient
cheaper to insure
tend be in nicer new build areas.
Jodi_the_g

5th Mar 08 at 05:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My biggest problem was snagging it took them over 8 months to fix everything.

Nothing major just little things like missing screws in kitchen cupboards, doors hung slighty off so would not close correctly.

Thinking about it thats a lie was finished in the summer overlooks brownsea island and right on the coast 100 yards to the sea if that.

First time we had a storm in the winter abut 5 gallons of water from each window as they where floor to celling jobs.

[Edited on 05-03-2008 by Jodi_the_g]
Kathryn W

5th Mar 08 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well we were going to basically move in within 4 weeks, dependant on how long the mortgage took. But they won't allow us now to have a mortgage as my work, only really do 'Temporary' Contracts.

Although I could possibly be on a 'permanent' contract within 4 weeks, I doubt that times to keep the house on hold for us.

I'm gutted.
AK

5th Mar 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dislike new builds...

mostly poor finished/cheap... no character....
Gregor

5th Mar 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't really like new-builds , for all the above reasons and more !

Hate it when I need to work in a new build because if something is to be fixed to the wall you have to use shite plasterboard fixings rather than plugging into a solid brick wall. Because who would want to hang their nice new 32" LCD from that ! ?

Also the quality of items such as staircases , jesus they are crap. An old house can be standing for years and years without a single creak , but new-builds seem to always have squeeky stairs !

And because its pricework the jobs can be rushed and the quality of workmanship = shit. Gone into houses before where more than one internal door doesnt even latch !
Andrew

5th Mar 08 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn W
Well we were going to basically move in within 4 weeks, dependant on how long the mortgage took. But they won't allow us now to have a mortgage as my work, only really do 'Temporary' Contracts.

Although I could possibly be on a 'permanent' contract within 4 weeks, I doubt that times to keep the house on hold for us.

I'm gutted.

I had this problem years ago. Although i had money in the bank to last a few years, i couldn't get a mortage. Ended up doing it all in my Dads name.
mattk

5th Mar 08 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Gregor said, the money on new build sites is shit, the result is instead of doing one house propperly you have to do 2 houses shitly to make any money

and as he said with the TV, the walls are rubbish,

their silly expensive for what they are
Kathryn W

5th Mar 08 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better than all the piles of shit we can afford around here though
MikeE

5th Mar 08 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kathryn if its what you and Gav want, go for it as you get 10years NHBC warrenty. And if you buy off plan you sometimes get more for you'r money.
Ian
Site Administrator

5th Mar 08 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't be too deterred. Mine certainly isn't noisy, I barely ever hear anyone else unless they're blatantly having a party or something. The rooms aren't small either, only problem with my rooms is that there are not enough of them!

You'll also haggle a far better price with a homebuilder, particularly as they'll be turning over millions on a big development. Giving you a few grand off is nothing. With a private seller this is not possible as you go too low they've no incentive to sell it and no room in their finances to stand the loss.

Just be realistic about actually what things are worth, weigh up the problems as posted, ie. are you happy with a limited amount of land and a wobbly staircase? Wouldn't bother me tbh, particularly if I had gone in at the right time with a low mortgage offer and told the guy that if he wanted to sell a property that was my deal and he better look happy *

* - the above may be based on a true story
Gregor

5th Mar 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry if I seem to be mocking them completely , they are just a few examples I have seen !

Ive seen plenty of good ones - its all down to the builder !

The one with the garage with no foundation was interesting though
Andrew

5th Mar 08 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These houses were build about 17 years ago. My Dad used to complain about the build quaility compared to our house previously.

It's the things such as kitchen units, bathrooms etc. They have all now been replaced over the years and IMO really nice houses. Had the same guy live next door the whole time too who goes to work everyday, comes home. Only ever hear his hover. Walls are not the thickest and sound proofing not the best.

My flat, in the same street, has cocks that live upstairs, a cock that lives next door, and i personally just want to get out of this place now. Can't be doing with couple arguing, parties during the week and general shouting.

Only problem we have had is with wear and tear from new builds and a bit of damp when we first moved in. The was down to the hosues being built in the rain.
Kathryn W

5th Mar 08 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and Gaz would basically move in tomorrow, we could if only they could put down on paper that my job was permanent.

Really gutted about it all though. We have more time to save now though, and definatly look for the future.
mattk

6th Mar 08 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing with yours andrew is they were made about 20 years ago, there were little to no regulations surounding new build propertys then,

nowardays the method is still the same but the regs mean walls have to have certain insulation in them, be of a certain thickness and resist fire for a certain time

they are better now than they ever have been, id still rather have bricks and mortsr though

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll