corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Question about bolt in cages...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question about bolt in cages...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 08 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do bolt in cage's bolt in?

Say I have a 10 point bolt in cage, I've seen them bolt at the feet, and bolt at the pillars and roof...

What are they bolting into? do you have to drill holes in your chassis at those points? does the hole go all the way through, so the bolt is now poking out the bottom of the car? (What happens with the pillars? and roof?).

Finally, if I then decide to remove the cage, when i take the bolts out, what's left? holes all over the car under the trim and carpet?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

2nd Mar 08 at 02:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think most of that's spot on about bolting to the floor/chassis. On the pillars it's generally bolted to the top seatbelt mount and roof wise I couldn't tell you.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Mar 08 at 03:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's MSA spec then it needs to bolt to mounting feet which are welded to the shell.
jr

2nd Mar 08 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never seen a bolt in cage bolt to anything else but the mounting points on the floor, which is done how ian has said
Paul_J

2nd Mar 08 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if you are welding in plates or feet to bolt the cage to, why don't you just weld the cage in - in the first place?

What happens if you want to remove the cage? surely left with loads of welded in pieces of stuff everywhere?
corsaandy

2nd Mar 08 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes you are left with welded plates everywhere but this needs to be done to make it safe otherswise the bolts would just pull through the floor when you crashed and the cage would end up being useless and more likely to kill you than save your life.

Robin
Premium Member

2nd Mar 08 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
so if you are welding in plates or feet to bolt the cage to, why don't you just weld the cage in - in the first place?

Good question...

quote:
What happens if you want to remove the cage? surely left with loads of welded in pieces of stuff everywhere?

Cut the welded patches out again.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Mar 08 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

But then if you want to remove the cage, it'll be to put it in another car because you've bent yours. Therefore the old shell with the plates on the floor is getting scrapped anyway.

Means you've less work to recover parts for your next car. Which if you look at it that way means you should probably weld it in and be done with it, yes.
Pop

2nd Mar 08 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 6 point cage has mounting plates welded into the car and the cage bolts onto that.

If I wanted the whole lot back out the plates could maybe be plasma cut out.
Paul_J

2nd Mar 08 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

But then if you want to remove the cage, it'll be to put it in another car because you've bent yours. Therefore the old shell with the plates on the floor is getting scrapped anyway.

Means you've less work to recover parts for your next car. Which if you look at it that way means you should probably weld it in and be done with it, yes.

yeh but i'm not talking about removing it when i write off the car, I'm talking about removing it to set the car back to standard at a later date.
Robin
Premium Member

2nd Mar 08 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just remove the 'feet', they'd just be bits of box section, cut them out and paint over the evidence.
Butler

2nd Mar 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate, speak to Kenich. You never would have known his rallye was the stripped out slag it once was. Il get pics of the mounting points in mine when I can be bothered.
Paul_J

2nd Mar 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did kenich have a cage tho butler? I don't think he did?

Robin how do you remove welded in plates?
Robin
Premium Member

2nd Mar 08 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You won't have plates, you'll have boxes, at least you will on the sills, maybe not on the rear arches.

Cut them out with a grinder, it's easy.
Robin
Premium Member

2nd Mar 08 at 22:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bit like JR's

but with 2 bolt holes in.

All you'd need to do to remove them, is a bit of cutting, grinding and painting.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Mar 08 at 10:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeh but i'm not talking about removing it when i write off the car, I'm talking about removing it to set the car back to standard at a later date.
Grinder.
AK

4th Mar 08 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some bolt through the floor sandwiching it with thick steel plates underneith.
Butler

4th Mar 08 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
did kenich have a cage tho butler? I don't think he did?

Robin how do you remove welded in plates?

Yeah he did, it was a 205 cage with plates welded in to adapt.
Paul_J

5th Mar 08 at 03:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here's some pics of the cage I may be getting...

Omp 10 point bolt in cage...

It's half painted but a potential bargain...

back part

and front part

Should have door bars and a diagonal on the back part too.

should be similar to this when put together

Paul_J

5th Mar 08 at 03:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeh... the only problem is that it's 300 miles north in 'widnes'

How can I get it down here? suggestions?
Butler

5th Mar 08 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Courier... Looks the same as mine.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Question about bolt in cages... 22 database queries in 0.0150990 seconds