corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » reccomend me a good starter car for the track....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author reccomend me a good starter car for the track....
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Feb 08 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got to buy a car for this summer for getting to work etc. but was considering getting something that I could then strip, cage etc. and take it to some track days once I've finished using it for the summer.

I've been considering a few cars, but I need some guidance as to which one to look at closer. I need it to be resonably cheap to buy initially, with a good supply of spare parts and motorsport parts (cage, brakes, engine mods etc.) avaliable and be resonably easy to work on with the old haynes manual by my side.

So far I have considered a saxo VTR/VTS, 205, corsa X16, clio 16v

Now my only concern is that I've never had anything apart from a corsa, so i'm a bit concerned as to how easy the other cars are to maintain. At present the saxo seems to be in the lead as its resonably good out of the box and more recent than the 205 and clio. If I was to choose a saxo, should I go for the VTR or VTS bearing in mind this car would be my first experience of any track driving.

Cheers for any help in advance!

Steve

Mase
p4uls corsa

16th Feb 08 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to use as everyday car aswell as track i would say vts if you get a vtr you will only want to get vts after a few months

the clio 16v is a good car also but quite pricey on fuel

ive not owned a 205 so wont comment on them

would say all cars youve listed parts are easy to get and cheap ish

Mase
Premium Member

16th Feb 08 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would only be used as an everyday car over this coming summer and then when I go back to uni, it'll come off the road to be stripped etc. and would then become a weekend car really, I'd get something else for when I graduate uni.

I see what you mean about the VTR-VTS thing, I probably would regret not getting a VTS.

How strong are those 16v engines? I'd probably re-build it after the summer, but in the mean time, I'd need something resonably reliable. All the cheaper ones I've seen have done around 100k, they still got some life left in them?

Mase
lozarus

16th Feb 08 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some sort of 106. good handling and a bit of lift off oversteer when needed lol.
p4uls corsa

16th Feb 08 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lozarus
some sort of 106. good handling and a bit of lift off oversteer when needed lol.

lol 106 /saxo = same car

engines are fairly strong its more the gearbox driveshafts you will have to worry about

if getting one with 100k make sure it has good service history and not owned buy some young lad thats thrashed it ..then it should be ok

LeeM

16th Feb 08 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mates got a 70k+ mile lowered vtr and never had a prob with anything goin on him, if you look after them theyre shit hot cars.
so.. vts gets my vote
AK

16th Feb 08 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a pre prepped 205 GTi.... save a shit load of money. If the engine pops, throw in an S16 lump
Paul_J

16th Feb 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

205 gti imo... will get one already tracked up for cheap.

VTS will go on for ages... my Gti is at 95k and the engine still runs sound as a pound.
nova_gteuk

16th Feb 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-VAUXHALL-CORSA-c20-xe-not-vtr-gti-rs_W0QQitemZ140206350826QQihZ004QQcategoryZ9858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats a perfect starter..boy near me owns it..stunning car imo.
lozarus

16th Feb 08 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

know someone who has a vtr piper fast road cams vernier pulleys upated valves and springs supersprint race only exhaust if your interested.?

lowered on eibach springs on front and by torsion bar on back

think its 103k on the clock, just had 2 new driveshafts and a wheel bearing, very good condition £1200

[Edited on 16-02-2008 by lozarus]

[Edited on 16-02-2008 by lozarus]
Chris C

16th Feb 08 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This was my old clio 16v, picked it up for £1000, shed load of receipts
supersprint manifold
magnex exhaust
viper induction kit
koni suspention
set of 4 toyo 888's ( brand new )

stickered it up and had some fun

Great little car, was so much fun. Went round brands well cocking it's rear wheel lol.
I'd def reccomend one
Sold it on for £700 as someone drove into one of the plastic wings, wish i kept it now
scottyp1989

16th Feb 08 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

205 IMO
Robin
Premium Member

16th Feb 08 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for either a 205 GTI or a 106 XSi.

Well, actually, I probably wouldn't, but that's what I'd suggest to get
wilson_sri

16th Feb 08 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally id have a 16v nova, but then im biased.
Mase
Premium Member

16th Feb 08 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the info, I'll have a browse around!

One more question though, regarding cages. I've been looking at the OMP ones for the saxo and was wondering, one, are the OMP cages a good fit, good quality etc. and two which cage is 'better', the weld in or bolt in cage?

Cheers!

Mase
AK

16th Feb 08 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You really want a weld in...

OMP - only issue i had with our 205 one was the fabrication of the base plates was a bit shit. Didnt take much to sort them out and seam weld them. Cage was ok to fit.... few issues but you have to expect that
Mase
Premium Member

16th Feb 08 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah sure, to be honest though I probably wouldn't fit it myself anyway as I've never welded.

Mase
AK

16th Feb 08 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

perfect time to learn :~0
p4uls corsa

17th Feb 08 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/377364.htm

could be a good trackcar and some one on here is selling it in classifieds

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » reccomend me a good starter car for the track.... 23 database queries in 0.0137610 seconds