corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /images/ on this server"

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /images/ on this server"
liamC

User status: Offline
12th Feb 08 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On my web hosting control panel I have set the permissions of folders to 711 so people can't look through the different folders on my server, but I was just wondering if it is possible to create a webpage saying "you do not have access to this page, please visit the homepage" or if the person types in the wrong address, it comes up saying "this page doesn't exist" blah blah

Anyone any idea how I can do this?
AndyKent

12th Feb 08 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some hosts will let you specify custom error pages, so rather than forward you to a 404 (not found) or whatever the code is for permission denied, the user would get sent to a custom page.
drax

12th Feb 08 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look up editing the HTACCESS file for custom 404
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Feb 08 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should be 700 if you want no access.

711 is execute access for group and public.

If you want a nicer message, make it 644 and put an index.htm in there. You still need 644 on the images as well, which means they'll work if you know the filenames but you can't browse the folder.

Still not secure as such as if someone knows the name they can get the pics. If you want to authenticate users properly then you need htaccess.

Also that error code will but 401 I think not 404 if you've not authorised the read. The 404 might be the error page not available.

Either way, those errors are usually ugly. Default document (index.htm) in there usually does the trick.

New Poll