corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Won't fire

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Won't fire
Graham88

User status: Offline
27th Jan 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK been trying to find the fault on my C14SE SRi 8v engine. 'Think' I've narrowed it down to 3 things, coilpack, plugs or leads.

There is definetly fuel getting there, as when I took the plugs out after trying to start it they stank of fuel and you could see moisture on them.

I tried testing the coilpack plug, not sure if I did it right. I put the positive on the battery terminal, and used the negative to probe the other points. Only 3 out of the 4 points came up with 12DC, that ok? This was just with the ignition turned on, not turning over or anything.

I tried the plugs out of my old engine and that didn't spark either, but I can't be sure if they still work or not, be a bit strange for all 4 of my plugs to go at exactly the same time? Anyone got any ideas as I'm stumped
Graham88

27th Jan 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or, the crank sensor could have gone completely, rather than just being faulty. It was incorrectly positioned before but after doing it back up it started straight away, but now it's in the correct position.

I dunno what to do now, don't wanna be replacing tons of parts but don't have any other ideas
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought you had this running??????
Richardhhha

28th Jan 08 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best thing is to see if the crank sensor is givig any signal when cranking the car, if not then i'd say crank sensor! Other than that the coil pack could have gone down.
luke85

28th Jan 08 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your ECU light go out while your cranking the engine over? Should go out when it sees an RPM signal from the crank sensor. Would have thought the crank sensor is ok though because the fuel pump doesnt run if its not getting an RPM signal
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by warren.g
thought you had this running??????

I did. I did a 50 mile trip driving randomly, then pulled into my road and it just cut out. Well, I was in 4th and it started losing revs, so put it into 3rd, nothing, then 2nd, it jolted forwards and drove again for about 10 metres, then lost revs agian, put it in 1st and nothing, then just cut out. Other than that last mishap, I couldn't have asked for a more successful test drive really, apart from the gear linkage moving somehow and losing 5th!

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
best thing is to see if the crank sensor is givig any signal when cranking the car, if not then i'd say crank sensor! Other than that the coil pack could have gone down.

How can you see if there is signal coming from the sensor? I couldn't figure out how you could test the sensor itself!

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
Does your ECU light go out while your cranking the engine over? Should go out when it sees an RPM signal from the crank sensor. Would have thought the crank sensor is ok though because the fuel pump doesnt run if its not getting an RPM signal

I am not sure, I'll have to check. Problem is, is if the problem I had with the MAP sensor still isn't right, I won't know if it's the MAP sensor or the crank sensor I presume it won't store faults until the car is started?
I'm pretty sure last time there was a problem with the sensor I could still smell fuel. Except thinking about it I don't think it was on the plugs as I was surprised when there was fuel on them when I took them out yesterday.
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did a search on Google and this came up:

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7006

Quite interesting, are they really that sensitive? Might try that test to wave the spanner infront of it, although involves taking it all off again FFS. Although if my plugs are getting fuel then obviously the fuel pump is 100% working and that is controlled by the crank sensor, which really it leaves the coilpack?
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coil packs dont tend to just give up, my fire on 2 cylinders

try cranksensor first
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why I discounted plugs and leads, as all 4 wouldn't just give up at the same time!

What am I meant to try?
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try fixing your map sensor first

so you are getting no spark, but fuel?
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct, I am pretty sure my MAP sensor should work now, the vacuum wasn't plugged into the throttle body at the other end
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm

i thought disconnecting the crank sensor cuts fuel and spark, spark 99% does

try a crank sensor still, or check the wiring/air gap first should be about 1mm
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0.7 to 1mm gap, I have 0.75 checked it with the feeler gauges. I'll disconnect the sensor and see if I still get fuel. I don't wanna be taking it off completely as it's so hard! It said in the Haynes manual you should replace the bracket incase it's bent or something, but it worked fine before so it can't be that, although if the sensor really is that sensitive
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant realy say much more with out seeing it

flash codes?
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come see it then

None, I cleared the original codes incase they were affecting it starting. I was getting:

19 Crank Angle Sensor (CAS) Incorrect RPM signal

33 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor High voltage

34 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor Low voltage

35 Idle stepper motor Poor or no idle speed control

Not sure where that idle stepper motor came from but that's something to worry about once it's started if it's still coming up
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so theres no codes

right, try a crank sensor, will only take a few minutes to change

or you said the brackets broken?? doudle check every sensor is plugged in/ wiring etc etc
Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, but I don't have another crank sensor, and they're around £36 from Vauxhall, which I'd pay anyway but it depends if they have any in stock, plus I can't drive there!

I have done a quick check over, but it must be related to something that stops the plugs sparking as that's the only thing really stopping it running if the plugs are getting fuel on them.

I say there is no codes, but I cranked it over then checked the ECU and it kept coming up with '12' which I presume means there are no new code, but that could just be because it hadn't started
Warren G

28th Jan 08 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have one i think, i have spares of everything!

Graham88

28th Jan 08 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wish I did! Was always handy when I had my bike having basically a whole bike in spare parts
Graham88

29th Jan 08 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I phoned the local garage, but I think he did the usual garage thing, even though I trust him. He said I need to get it diagnosted, I said I already did the paperclip test and he said the diagnostics does more than tell you fault codes. This true? Problem is, when my battery ran out everything reset, ECU included so how can it be diagnosted?

I only rang him to ask how much a crank sensor was! I did a test on the plug to the sensor, and was getting a 12v reading on all 3 pins within the plug on the loom, so that means the power to the sensor is there? The magnet within the sensor still works, does this mean the sensor is still ok?

Vauxhall wanted £45 for a new sensor. Alternatively I could go to the breakers, buy a coil pack and sensor for a tenner, but if either of those are faulty I won't know if it's my car or that part. Think I'm gonna end up paying someone to get it sorted as it's getting past my knowledge...

[Edited on 29-01-2008 by Graham88]
Warren G

29th Jan 08 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can look at the data list and see whats happening

if my knees better might be able to come ova one night or sat if im not working or doing something!
Graham88

29th Jan 08 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting the train to work sucks so much so I want it back tbh, Saturday is so far away

But whatever I do it needs towed if it's gonna go anywhere, and neither of my parents are in during the day, so unless it's miraculously gonna start it'll be stuck there.

What's a data list?

[Edited on 29-01-2008 by Graham88]
Graham88

30th Jan 08 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£65 for a new crank sensor
Graham88

30th Jan 08 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a crank sensor, put it on, and still won't start.

I give up!

New Poll