corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Baited into speeding by the police?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Baited into speeding by the police?
Colin

User status: Offline
26th Jan 08 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is on behalf of a friend of my father.

Yesterday afternoon he was driving on a single carriageway road (town by-pass) where there was an audi (unknown to be police at time) doing 40mph infront of him, the road ahead was clear & he went to overtake at which point the audi proceeded to speed up as he was along side it, he had to complete the overtake as falling back/breaking may have been dangerous & he managed to get past at which point the blue lights came on. He was taken into the back of the audi & mde to watch the vid showing him pass at 82mph. Now he protested the police speeding up as he went to overtake & they played it down saying they never. Now hes mature man well into his 60's, drives a diesel punto & not the sort of person to be racing along or making this up, if thats what he says happened then thats what happened & I 100% believe him that hes been set up here.

Now as far as im aware its going to court.

Would it be possible to demand a copy of the tape from the patrol car which would show the police car todling along at 40 then speeding up seconds before he passes? Surely this will throw the charges out of court? Any other advice on this?

Absolute b*****s Ive lost what little faith I had in these people, to serve & protect my arse, to rob & to cash-in is more appropriate!!
WU-TANG- DAN

26th Jan 08 at 00:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am pretty certain the defense can obtain a copy of the video, the same way whilst being interviewed in a police station the recordings are put onto a double cassette recorder (one for both parties)
Steve X16XE

26th Jan 08 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what happened on the day when Monster had his crash. I started to overtake this "BMW" mondeo (he thinks it's the bestest car in the world) and then he accelerated to stop me getting past. A little more of the loud peddle and i got past very easily but it made it harder for Monster to overtake then he crashed at a higher speed.

I'd contest it all the way.
Ren

26th Jan 08 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would of just let the car undertake me to be honest, and the pulled back into the lane. If I was overtaking the audi because he was going too slow, then him speeding up would mean ive got no reason to overtake.

Eck
Premium Member

26th Jan 08 at 01:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The police camera will have the indicated speed on it surely? He might be able to say that the highway code states you are meant to let someone complete the manouvre when overtaking. And that them speeding up is dangerous driving/driving without due care.
Colin

26th Jan 08 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren
I would of just let the car undertake me to be honest, and the pulled back into the lane. If I was overtaking the audi because he was going too slow, then him speeding up would mean ive got no reason to overtake.

He was along side it when it started to speed up its a single carriageway so he was out on the other side of the road. As far as im concerned most people would continue the maneuver....I would!
Steve X16XE

But your committed..... you can't always just back off.

If i go to overtake something, i'll only do it if i know 100% i'll get past safe.

I hate Impretza's and evo's going slow I just know that they are wanting me to try...........
Colin

quote:
Originally posted by Eckmcmann
The police camera will have the indicated speed on it surely? He might be able to say that the highway code states you are meant to let someone complete the manouvre when overtaking. And that them speeding up is dangerous driving/driving without due care.

Exactly what I think Eck!!
Arctic_Monkey

26th Jan 08 at 01:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Man it must of been one hell of a long straight for a diesel punto to overtake going from 40-82mph but yeh, I can see the police being cocks and doing something like this, as wu-tang-dan said i'm sure he will be able to get a copy of the video from the police
Gareth

26th Jan 08 at 01:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope he doesnt get shafted m8 sounds well dodgy on the cops part!

Colin

26th Jan 08 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The roads pretty long & wide, loads of room to overtake, those puntos can shift when they need to
Colin

26th Jan 08 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How would we go about getting a copy of the tape? Can we just march into the nick & demand it??
CorsAsh

26th Jan 08 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isn't it illegal somehow to speed up when being overtaken?
Eck
Premium Member

26th Jan 08 at 01:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does he have a solicitor? Get him to ask his solicitor for a copy of the tape! And I think it should get thrown out in court. And hopefully get the cunts shafted!
WU-TANG- DAN

26th Jan 08 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id imagine it would come under not paying due care and attention whilst driving, also this rule about hard acceleration and street-racing.

yeh, walk into the station with a lawyer, ask for a copy of the tape and review it.
Colin

26th Jan 08 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno if hes got a lawyer/solicitor.....hes probably not ever needed one! They cost money also. Could he walk in & get a copy himself? I want to have a look at it before deciding what he should do!!
Eck
Premium Member

26th Jan 08 at 01:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't harm to go in and ask. But you are 100% entitled to look at the evidence beforehand. Like when you get caught by a speed camera iirc.
Ren

26th Jan 08 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:
Originally posted by Ren

He was along side it when it started to speed up its a single carriageway so he was out on the other side of the road. As far as im concerned most people would continue the maneuver....I would!

I misread. Thought it was a duel, not a single. In this case, the copper is a fucking cunt.
WU-TANG- DAN

26th Jan 08 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apparently, South Wales police use a similar tactic using their evo8 fq400 thingy, ive seen it at the open day and apart from a small 'police' transfer on the rear window its very 'joe-public' looking.

its incredibly sneaky on their part.
Winemaker

26th Jan 08 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These are the sort of shifty tactics that the police use over here, imagine the scenario....you try to overtake this...and then he speeds up...you pass get in front and then the lights go on...damn, busted LOL

http://www.auspolcars.info/index.php?state=vic&image=0507-h_vy2ssum_01

...they also have WRX's several V8 utes as well as a family type station wagons, mind you they all have high performance specs 18 - 20 inch rims and have been known to sit at traffic lights with techno style music playing and baseball caps on backwards

...moral of the story...if someone speeds up while your overtaking, back off and get behind them, don't count on the fact that they will obey the road rules and let you pass and don't be a fool on the road and you don't have anything to worry about
CorsAsh

26th Jan 08 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The extra antenna on that would set alarm bells ringing, I'm always checking possible undercover cars for lights in headerests and unusual dashes etc as I go by, paranoia for you
16V_1600

26th Jan 08 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren

That's what I would have done.
Fad

26th Jan 08 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ths makes my blood boil!

Had something very simialr two weeks ago. Was driving into London and this BMW was sitting on my rear buper. I was only doing 60ish. Dropped it a cog and just acclerated to 70ish. I then got pulled over. I only got a warning for diving with un due car and attention. As I wasnt speedling I guess there was nothing they could do.

Noted the police badges and wrote a long letter on how they proceeded to coax me into speeding and how their mindless time wasting made me miss an important Arbitary deadline.

Muppets
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 08 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask for a copy of the statement and the tape, make sure the statement shows you claiming they sped up and them denying it.
Rob R

26th Jan 08 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Ths makes my blood boil!

Had something very simialr two weeks ago. Was driving into London and this BMW was sitting on my rear buper. I was only doing 60ish. Dropped it a cog and just acclerated to 70ish. I then got pulled over. I only got a warning for diving with un due car and attention. As I wasnt speedling I guess there was nothing they could do.

Noted the police badges and wrote a long letter on how they proceeded to coax me into speeding and how their mindless time wasting made me miss an important Arbitary deadline.

Muppets

how can you get pulled over for accelerating!?

i work opposite the main traffic cop HQ in my area, everytime you see a volvo/ octavia/ 406/ omega you have to see how many aerials it has

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Baited into speeding by the police? 22 database queries in 0.0172570 seconds