corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Custom Cages Multipoint Corsa B Cage Info

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Custom Cages Multipoint Corsa B Cage Info
Novaneil

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 08 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Been over to "Custom Cages" today to get a quote on a few cage options for my Corsa. Just thought i'd share with you what sort of money these things are

This is the cage in question

In CDS (Cold Drawn Steel) its £558 +VAT in kit form. But if you want it fully fitted its £1778 + VAT Doh! A bit out of my budget. (It does however weigh in at a very impressive 44kgs which I thought wasn't bad)

To get the price down it was suggested I had a simplified cage called the C6 (Basically a 6 point cage similar to the likes of OMP and Safety Devices with a few little bits extra. This worked out to be £791 +VAT fully fitted and is made to follow the A & B pillers etc so would be a very good fit.

On the way back from Custom cages I popped into my local Garage/Tuners to get some of their views.
They offered to Weld together and Install the Full Multipoint cage for £600. But unfortunetely this is still out of my budget (As the cage is £600 to start with).

Im now thinking the best solution is to just buy an OMP 10 point (£360) and have it installed with a few additional strengtheners/braces to my spec.

I believe the OMP is about 25kgs in standard form so shouldn't be too heavy either.

Neil
P1CK4D

2nd Jan 08 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mega money for scaffolding poles
DYL

Sparco has a good 16 point cage at tweeks for £450 iirc
Im gonna go for the 10 point omp again and add to it again....remember to look at the MSA book if your gonna rally it
flybikeslee

get mad_mike to sort you out.....
Novaneil

2nd Jan 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DYL
Sparco has a good 16 point cage at tweeks for £450 iirc
Im gonna go for the 10 point omp again and add to it again....remember to look at the MSA book if your gonna rally it

Ok cheers mate, I'll have a look into that sparco one.

And no its not for rallying, just trackdays.

Neil
DYL

2nd Jan 08 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might be the same for track days...if it needs being FIA aproved....the cage can be voided if bars are added to the wrong places
Dan295

2nd Jan 08 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wowzer, i have to say that cage is amazing to look at and thats only a model
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Jan 08 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats mega moeny to fit! Going by the diagram will they be putting reinforment in the wings onto the suspension legs/turrets thing in the bay?
Steev

2nd Jan 08 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about the people who done brosters ?
Novaneil

2nd Jan 08 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
thats mega moeny to fit! Going by the diagram will they be putting reinforment in the wings onto the suspension legs/turrets thing in the bay?

Oh yeah, I was told the chassis would be reinforced on every contact area and there's a lot of them! Saw some pics of fully fitted ones that they did look very trick! But still Mega Bucks!

I think Ben (BENDY in the projects section with the rally car) paid quite a bit less, but still 4 figures for his cage to be fully installed.

Neil
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Jan 08 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks the bollocks i must say, I can't wait for you to actually turn up to a show in your car neil. Really want to get up close and personal with the corsa
Novaneil

2nd Jan 08 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
It looks the bollocks i must say, I can't wait for you to actually turn up to a show in your car neil. Really want to get up close and personal with the corsa

Haha Cheers mate, but you'll have a wait a little while yet Still some more tasty bits to buy and fit first
Ian S

2nd Jan 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are good cages, I have one in my nova
Novaneil

2nd Jan 08 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian S
They are good cages, I have one in my nova

Is that Nova finished yet Ian? Last I saw of it you were trying on Beardys 18" Mo's.... And that was ages ago. I remember seeing the pics of the cage fitted! Looked awesome
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Jan 08 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Mega money for scaffolding poles

its not scaffold poles, and if you look at the work that goes into fitting one the price isnt so bad.
ed

2nd Jan 08 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seamless chromoly steel aint cheap. Neither are mandrell bends.
ed

2nd Jan 08 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact, neither is TIG welding...

[Edited on 02-01-2008 by ed]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

2nd Jan 08 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly why cages arent cheap.

CDS steel isnt cheap either, infact no steel is cheap these days.
dhdev

2nd Jan 08 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you're not gonna roll it, with that giant lump under the bonnet weighing it down it'd never get airborn! You'd be better off investing in a bull-bar for when you understeer off at the first corner

I reckon a 6-point with door bars is the best starting point. Get that welded in and tagged to the A and B pillars, then if you wanna be fancy get it extended through to the turrets.

Get a six point, fit it with some load spreading plates placed beneath the feet, bolt it all up, prep it then get Colin round to weld the feet, tag it in and add some extensions to the front turrets. Tell him you want it the same as the 'ring Golf he built
Xs

2nd Jan 08 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you thought you would get a custom cage designed and fitted for the same price as an OMP / Sparco one?
Seems you were dreaming visiting that place and should just buy a ready made one.
smcGSI16V

2nd Jan 08 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo go for the OMP 10 point cage, same as i've got. you can purchase extra bars seperately for cages to add in extra bars at a later date or when you fit it.

I think for the price their quite good. They have 2 tags above the windscreen, bolt to the B pillars and six feet.
Jenko_Sport

2nd Jan 08 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an OMP cage and get somewhere to weld it in
ainsley_brader

2nd Jan 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Novaneil
Im now thinking the best solution is to just buy an OMP 10 point (£360) and have it installed with a few additional strengtheners/braces to my spec.

I believe the OMP is about 25kgs in standard form so shouldn't be too heavy either.

Neil

HI
Where have you seen the OMP advertised at £360?

Ains
Rallycorsa

2nd Jan 08 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fitted the OMP 10 point to mine and added rear harness bar by a coded welder who knows what he is doing.

My mate had Custom cages do his Nova and its far superior to the OMP but you only get what you pay for.

I think its about confidence, if your racing a car that has a cage fitted by some mates over a weekend or a professional who knows what he is doing you can try a bit harder knowing if it all goes wrong you have a good chance of walking away.

I have seen cages fail on rallies over the years and its not nice to see something so substantial crumble because of poor fitiment.
Gary
Premium Member

3rd Jan 08 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
quote:
Originally posted by Novaneil

Neil

HI
Where have you seen the OMP advertised at £360?

Ains

352quid here bud

http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=101420

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Custom Cages Multipoint Corsa B Cage Info 22 database queries in 0.1008251 seconds