corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear seats out and MOT

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear seats out and MOT
swill_omnibus

User status: Offline
16th Dec 07 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Thinking of taking rear seats out.

Where would i stand MOT time though? As of course its classed as a 5seater and id ideally be taking the whole rear seats out and the belts too.

Any help be cool,

Cheers
Ben G

16th Dec 07 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will be fine as long as theres no seatbelts left
16V_1600

16th Dec 07 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by swill_omnibus
Hi all,

Thinking of taking rear seats out.

Where would i stand MOT time though? As of course its classed as a 5seater and id ideally be taking the whole rear seats out and the belts too.

Any help be cool,

Cheers

As long as the belts come out as well as the seats, it's just like a van
swill_omnibus

16th Dec 07 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesomeness! Cause i maydo this as an excuse not to carry any people in my car too hehe cause the trim is rubbing but thats on another topic!

But thinking of putting my current music system and spreading it to be in whole of back of the car too
B3KAN

16th Dec 07 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye will be fine aslong as the seats and belts are both removed will just be tested as having 2 seats at time of test
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't make any difference if the belts were still in either TBH.
phil_sutton

16th Dec 07 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if they arent there they cant test them, simple as really.
corsa120

16th Dec 07 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine still has belts in passes mot easy they dont even mention it, just tuck them in the slots where ur damper nuts are.
AdamF
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah belts can stay there, as without seats there not seat belts.
Toby
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone on here posted not so long ago they failed as they had belts bnut no seats
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 22:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to work in a garage and we failed a car with no rear seats but seatbelts, tester said if they were there, they had to be working properly, can't really work properly without the seats for passengers to sit in.

End of the day, if you've took your seats out you might aswell take the belts out, just extra weight that isn't needed
Jakey
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can fail at our place for having belts and no seats.
B3KAN

16th Dec 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaSriLad

Same with my old work
swill_omnibus

16th Dec 07 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So /if/when i take my rear seats and belts out, i would have to let DVLA know then wouldn't i because it be classed as a 2seater then??
Butler

16th Dec 07 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah doesnt really matter in my experience. I declared it on insurance but thats it on all on my cars.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by B3KAN
quote:

Same with my old work

On what grounds though?

Surely the seat belts are still fully functional, and the seat isn't unsecured, as it's not there full stop?
B3KAN

16th Dec 07 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by swill_omnibus
So /if/when i take my rear seats and belts out, i would have to let DVLA know then wouldn't i because it be classed as a 2seater then??

No you dont need to tell any1 it will be on your mot cetificate that it had 2 seats at time of test meaning you can refit them when ever you want

All it is, is to cover the mot stations back if anything were to happen ie you refitted your seats and had an accident and the rear seatbelts failed, then the mot station cant be held liable as they wernt fitted when the car was motd
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't tell the DVLA, it'd be a pain in the arse when you wanted to put seats back in and told them, they'd probably want an engineers report to say they were installed correctly.

Insurance would be a good idea though, as it's a modification...
B3KAN

16th Dec 07 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by B3KAN
quote:

Same with my old work

On what grounds though?

Surely the seat belts are still fully functional, and the seat isn't unsecured, as it's not there full stop?

On the grounds that there are rear seatbelts fitted but no seats

Bit pointless having belts but no seats
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How is it a fail though? I'm fairly sure there won't be anything in the MOT handbook to say that it's a fail with belts but no seats.

I'm not saying it's not pointless, it'd be stupid to do one and not the other TBH, but I still don't see how it can fail on it.
Mike
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can't really operate properly without the seats, anything that's fitted must operate properly, therefore it's a fail
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They clip in properly, even without the seat there, that's operating correctly still.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_510.htm
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_620.htm

Nothing in either of those pages says anything along the lines of "If a seat belt is fitted without a seat" under the reasons for rejection column.

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by Robin]
Mike
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've worked with 2 testers who both said that it's a fail because the seat belt cannot operate properly ie, hold someone in a seat in the event of an accident, if there is no seat for them to sit in

I couldn't tell you if there is anything in the MOT handbook, but the 2 testers both said that when I asked them, 1 of the testers had only recently done the MOT course too, it may have been mentioned there

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by Mike B]
Robin
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's the seat which is the fail then, or lack of seat, not the belt?

The belt just has to be securely mounted, undamaged, work and retract properly, which it still would, with or without a seat.

The fact that there's nothing to sit in to use that belt doesn't come into it in the book, or my brother's VW Touran would fail it's MOT if the rear seats were folder into the floor.
Mike
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
So it's the seat which is the fail then, or lack of seat, not the belt?

The belt just has to be securely mounted, undamaged, work and retract properly, which it still would, with or without a seat.

The fact that there's nothing to sit in to use that belt doesn't come into it in the book, or my brother's VW Touran would fail it's MOT if the rear seats were folder into the floor.

Yeah, s'pose it is the seat that's the fail then, but the seats in the Touran are still there aren't they, they're just folded down, when there's no seat at all it's a fail

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rear seats out and MOT 22 database queries in 0.1058810 seconds