corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » remap with raised rev limit

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author remap with raised rev limit
sport16v

User status: Offline
13th Dec 07 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Providing I don't thrash the hell out of it all the time, is it reliable enough to have a remap with the rev limit raised? I say this as I may soon to be the owner of a powerbox of some sort and I want to make the most of it. How much can the limit be raised to without any problems? Thanks

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by sport16v]
Superlite Ltd.

13th Dec 07 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the engine doesn't it

a c20let with 150,000 miles on the clock won't enjoy a rasised rev limit.

a c20ne with low mileage won't mind at all
sport16v

13th Dec 07 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines an x14 with 78 tho on clock, fsh (so theoretically, not too much wear). Not sure if it will happen yet but I've got the 1.4 for a couple of years until I can afford a civic/saxo vts/diesel astra/etc so want to liven it up a bit in the mean time
Superlite Ltd.

13th Dec 07 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inlet and exhaust manifold, then cams, then remap imo
Steve
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

raising the rev limit wont help much, youl be past peak power
luke85

13th Dec 07 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no point raising the rev limit on the standard inlet but if you do get the powerbox then it will definetly be worth raising the limit because peak power comes in higher

I had mine going to 7300 on standard internals, any more than that and you will need ARP con rod bolts to keep everything together inside
Robin
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know of at least one person who revved to 7800 on standard internals, with standard bolts
sand-eel

13th Dec 07 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if ya want to raise the limit get some cams that produce power higher up the rev range and probably get ARP bolts to be safe.
Deano_sxi
Banned

13th Dec 07 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

youll raise it maybe 300 MAX pointless really
luke85

13th Dec 07 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Deano_sxi
youll raise it maybe 300 MAX pointless really

Have you ever had one of these manifolds on? Its not pointless at all, the power picks up at about 5.5k and its pointless leaving the standard rev limit when you have to change at 6.5k
Deano_sxi
Banned

13th Dec 07 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and that 300 odd of extra revs is really going to make a difference? peak power isnt at the top revs anyway

its a 1.4 ffs
Robin
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The raised rev limit on my 1.4 was a 500rpm gain.

It made a difference as it was still pulling at the rev limiter with and without the extra revs.
luke85

13th Dec 07 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were not talking an extra 300 rpm, you mentioned that! A 1k gain will make a difference, when you change up a gear the revs are already higher that makes a difference too. Ill post my dyno sheet from my 1.4 tomorrow if I can find it.
Nothing wrong with tuning a 1.4 if you dont want to go for the bigger engine
Deano_sxi
Banned

13th Dec 07 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a raise of 1k on a 1.4 with standard internals....miss a gear and watch a piston smash the head
Robin
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would that happen?

The rev limiter would still prevent that, even if the car wasn't in gear.

Not forgetting the fact that the standard bolts, pistons and rods are capable of 7800rpm with no drama, definitely, if not more.
luke85

13th Dec 07 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hitting the rev limit with it in gear or out of gear wont make any difference, and over revving an engine wont cause a piston to hit the head. I think you mean the valves which havent had enough time to close. none of those are a problem when revving to 7300 revs. The first thing to let go would be the con rod bolts so changing them is needed for 7500+ IMO

I rev my LET to that nearly every day and so far I have never had a piston hit the head
Robin
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 23:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF, the pistons won't be at TDC faster than the valves can close before about 10000rpm with hydraulic lifters, and even then it'd be down to valve float, not the extra revs as such.

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Robin]
Deano_sxi
Banned

13th Dec 07 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.4 is an 8v innit? makes its power lower in the rev range, i just dont see the point in raising the rev limit and i still say itll go pop easily

i did raise the limit on my ctr to 9600 iirc with a fair bit of internal work
Robin
Premium Member

13th Dec 07 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X14 would mean X14XE as there never was an X14SZ in a Corsa in the UK.

X14XE is 16v.
Deano_sxi
Banned

13th Dec 07 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at your knowledge of engine codes
sport16v

14th Dec 07 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so I could potentially raise it to 7800 with no probs? Thanks for the replies, makes for interesting information and yes 16v although robin already noted this.

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by sport16v]

Robin
Premium Member

14th Dec 07 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could but anything over 7300 is a risk without ARP rod bolts IMO.
sport16v

14th Dec 07 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right so if it all goes ahead (which it probably won't) then I'll ask for 7300 as I think it should make quite bit of difference as I went out in one with a manzel, full decatted exhaust, manifold and standard map and it pulled like a train for a 1400 on standard map.

coke-gsi16v

14th Dec 07 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would notice it! you car would out last other corsa so say if you was playing with another corsa you would pull that bit further as he would change gear sooner? i have c16xe, inlet, 4 branch, d cat, magnex full system, cams,powerboost valve, standard map(i think) an it pull like a train. had it RR at 140bhp, it really is shocking. cant wait for a remap
sport16v

14th Dec 07 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just the info I need, will just hope local rolling road can map cars and I will have something which is fairly nippy if all goes to plan. Yeah your theory is correct I should think if you car keeps pulling to the new rev limit. In standard form, the power dies off after 6 really so 6500 is good for a standard car but from what I gather, powerboxs start to really pull from 5.5k and that only gives 1k of realy power on standard map. So remap to 7300 will give 1800 so will make the world of difference I should think! Pretty much all of my post compiled from corsa sport info; definately a handy site!!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » remap with raised rev limit 22 database queries in 0.0129840 seconds