corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Manager drops England hint...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Manager drops England hint...
Hammer

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 07 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Benitez

RyanSxi

23rd Nov 07 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

saw this on SSN last night. He either fancies a crack at it or wants a payrise/some money to buy a player IMO
Robbo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could live with that IMO
Hammer

23rd Nov 07 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of the managers up here the other day said in the paper that none of the big 4 jobs would be up for grabs any time soon apart from Liverpool as Rafa was being touted to go back to Spain, was news to me. Must be the word in the street in those circles though.
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said to Tom last night that this would be posted, thought it would be Marc though and it would be mentioned with the fact Hicks and Gillett are coming over next month.

What Rafa actually said (and have the link to the press conference here if you want to listen), was he joked that maybe if he improved his english a lot more he could in the future be the England manager.

He mentioned nothing about wanting to do it now, or even a real comment that he'd one day like to do it. Just a joking comment that actually got a few laughs.
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
One of the managers up here the other day said in the paper that none of the big 4 jobs would be up for grabs any time soon apart from Liverpool as Rafa was being touted to go back to Spain, was news to me. Must be the word in the street in those circles though.

Madrid have come in for him twice, both the last two summers, but Rafa has come out and said in no uncertain terms that he will not be leaving. And considering Madrid is his club (played for them, managed their reserve set-up, etc.) I think if anyone could tempt him away it would be them.

He also only just came out last week, after the Bayern link and said..."if I was approached I would tell whichever club it was that I'm really happy with my club, my squad, my supporters and my city.

"There are still many things which I want to do here so I am planning on being here for a long time."
Hammer

23rd Nov 07 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you suggesting the media have manipulated a fairly simple comment made by someone and span it into a huge news story?
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Are you suggesting the media have manipulated a fairly simple comment made by someone and span it into a huge news story?

No, in this instance they cut a comment in half and used that.
Hammer

23rd Nov 07 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Maybe I could be (McClaren's replacement) if I improve my English," he announced.

Later Benitez told reporters: "I was being serious. You never know what can happen in the future."

That appears to be a bit more than a halved quote.
RyanSxi

23rd Nov 07 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was a bit on ssn before that tho where he said something else (cant bloody remember now) but it got the guy asking the question thinking he wanted the job. wasn't a jokey comment either
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/videos-pictures/liverpool-audio/liverpool-fc-audio/2007/11/22/rafe-221107-100252-20147647/

Listen for yourself.
RyanSxi

23rd Nov 07 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will wen i get home as i recall a more serious part iirc
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
i will wen i get home as i recall a more serious part iirc

Ive listened to it all and didnt hear anything. Feel free to try to find it though
Hammer

23rd Nov 07 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Listened to it on BBC, appears fairly innocent tbf. Why's he had a bad week though Cosmo?
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why's he had a bad week though Cosmo?

Im not sure TBH

As far as I can tell, and hearing from various sources, things are going well for us at the moment other than getting into a little form and an Intl. break popping up again.

A deal has been agreed for Masch, £17m being paid over 5yrs to MSI, and they will be paying part of if not all his wages which gives them first choice to buy him should we wish to sell. That just needs rubber stamping and will be a done deal.

The owners have released a statement just trying to settle the boat concerning players coming in and out in Jan, as we have been linked with everyone, and a fair few have been linked with leaving. Although the timing of this, along with the twisting of Rafa's press conference yesterday, has meant people have read into it very wrongly.

Stadium was given the go ahead by the council a few weeks back, so other than intervention by the Govt. (doubtful) work can start on construction in the new year.
Hammer

23rd Nov 07 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SSN are saying no deals are being done at all until Gillet and Hicks are back in the country including Mascherano, could be the reason...

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_2899176,00.html
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hicks and Gillett statement, made after the Rafa interviews (so he isnt in a bad mood after reading this!!)

"We made a significant investment in the playing squad during the summer and desperately want this team to succeed.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already have at the club.

"We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the Manager then."

It doesnt say we wont be doing any deals. And TBH, anyone who thinks that Rafa made a deal off his own back with Masch and his agent and owners - without the consent and knowledge of the owners - is a raving looney
RyanSxi

23rd Nov 07 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bit that made me wonder is:
some bloke: How do you feel being the england man, i mean liverpool manager
Rafa: Not yet

thats what starts it all, as he doesnt even smile when he says it. so hes either trying to get it or just wants some attention tbh
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
the bit that made me wonder is:
some bloke: How do you feel being the england man, i mean liverpool manager
Rafa: Not yet

thats what starts it all, as he doesnt even smile when he says it. so hes either trying to get it or just wants some attention tbh

Link to video you saw this?
RyanSxi

23rd Nov 07 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its on SSN (tv unsure if its on the site), its the 1st bit before he says "if i learnt better english then maybe" which does seem like a joke but he started it all
Cosmo

23rd Nov 07 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shall see if I can catch it, cant see it on their website.

He certainly isnt interested in it now (as has been made clearn multiple times by him), but who knows in the future...but that could be 5, 10, 15yrs down the line really as he isnt that old.
Tom

24th Nov 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Listened to radio city phone in this morning, have a mixed view on this now. There's the arguement that with our trading we have spent less than a whole host of clubs including tottenham, west ham then man utd chelsea etc etc.

I think it'll blow over soon enough, I hope rafa calms down a bit about it though don;t 'want him following houllier and having a heart attack. We do still need investment in some areas and the mascherano deal sounds like a good one. They should back rafa as the fans still have beleif in him.

I still have concerns over his rotation policy tbh but he needs full backing.
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 07 at 12:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i saw that news consference where he made that joke cosmo.

he has also later confirmed the comments were serious.

i would rather capello or mourihno though
Tom

24th Nov 07 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Piss off steve he aint going nowhere anyway, just venting frustration

Cosmo

24th Nov 07 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i saw that news consference where he made that joke cosmo.

he has also later confirmed the comments were serious.

I didnt say he wouldnt ever want to be England boss, but he said in the future, not this next boss to replace McKnob.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Manager drops England hint... 23 database queries in 0.1915710 seconds