corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iMac's and other such stuff.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iMac's and other such stuff.
Joe

User status: Offline
12th Nov 07 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of getting a new computer some time soon as mine is getting a bit slow. I really like the look of the iMac's so its a definate consideration.

I've always had PC's and have never really used a Mac but I don't mind learning, but is there any reasons why/why not to bother with one?

I'd only be getting the £800 version, here is the spec so is this any good

* 2.0GHz Intel
Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 250GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory

Bear in mind I only use my computer for internet, music and photo's. I don't really do much else with it.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B723664&node=home/shop_mac/family/imac

Thanks chaps.
AndyKent

12th Nov 07 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If thats all you use it for, they work great. More difficult when you come to games, but design work is much easier.

No reason why not, and they look good
Nic Barnes

12th Nov 07 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use a mac, i find them very good
dave17

12th Nov 07 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would go for one if its just for that also. I want one do do my designing on
Simon

12th Nov 07 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why are macs said to be better for design work?
Dom

12th Nov 07 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
why are macs said to be better for design work?

apps like photoshop are said to run better and certain tests show that adobe products under osx do run a little faster etc.

But yea, i would recommend an imac for what you're after - even if you don't get on with OSX, just dual boot it with XP
Neo

12th Nov 07 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by joe6886
Bear in mind I only use my computer for internet, music and photo's. I don't really do much else with it.

If i'm honest, i think you'd be slightly silly to spend close to a grand if all you use the machine for is the net and music.

You could realistically get a machine running XP (wouldn't recommend vista), thats pretty much the dogs. Spend money on a decent motherboard and processor, ram and sound card. If you then get a swish looking computer case and stack it in, no one would be the wiser.

I'm guessing you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so save money there, probably overall spend about £350 - £400
Joe

12th Nov 07 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see what your saying but i'd probably get mum and dad to go halves for Xmas so would'nt cost me that much and I just generally love the look of them. Nice and clutter free.
JonnyJ

12th Nov 07 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, id go for one Joe. Ive got a powerbook which i mainly use for my design work, photos, music and browsing the internet.

Work so much better than a pc if thats the sort of stuff you do, plus you don't have to faff around with virus shit
Joe

12th Nov 07 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like I might go for one then.

Why do you not have to mess about with Virus shit though? Surely they are as prone as any computer? Its a whole new ball game to me this.
JonnyJ

12th Nov 07 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They work in a different way to PC's Joe. Im not a geek so i cant explain it but they cant (shouldn't) get viruses. They even used that fact in one of their recent ads.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by JonnyJ]
John

12th Nov 07 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can get viruses, just nobody bothers writing them for macs.

I'm not dissing macs btw but how exactly do they do that stuff better than a pc?
JonnyJ

12th Nov 07 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ some things on there but there are obviously going to be biased.

I bought a Mac because im a graphic design student. Virtually every designer uses Macs so its just easier for transferring my work from home to uni/a client.
ed

For £800 you would get a (much) better spec'd PC.
ed

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ some things on there but there are obviously going to be biased.

I bought a Mac because im a graphic design student. Virtually every designer uses Macs so its just easier for transferring my work from home to uni/a client.
I will think you'll find that not every designer uses a Mac.
John

12th Nov 07 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they aren't much better at doing they things than a normal pc

Macs do look quite good I have to admit but the only reasons I ever hear are design and music production software runs better on them, most people do neither so I can' see a reason for paying a massive premium apart from looks.
JonnyJ

12th Nov 07 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ

I will think you'll find that not every designer uses a Mac.

I didnt say EVERY designer but in the line of work i do, everywhere i have gone has used them. I find them much easier to use. Our PC at home was a nightmare crashing, viruses (despite getting all the so called virus protection programs) spyware and all that shit.

Ive had my mac over a year now and haven't had a single issue.
Nic Barnes

13th Nov 07 at 01:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
For £800 you would get a (much) better spec'd PC.

thing with a mac is for it to perform as good as if not better than i pc it doesnt need as much spec memory and processor speed. mine is a small processor and a good 3 years old and can out do most my mates pc's that are under a year old with more spec as you call it. its not what its got, its how efficiently it uses it.
Wrighty

13th Nov 07 at 02:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Beautiful bits of kit, keyboards are awesome!

cant use one to save my life though if i got one it would have to be dual boot with xp
Joe

13th Nov 07 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I will defo look into one over a PC then. I would never be able to use an £800 PC to its potential so at least the iMac looks cool.

Is the above spec pretty good then as I know fuck all about all the numbers and stuff.
Dom

13th Nov 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at ed/john - can you run logic or digital perfomer on a pc? errrr no... two reasons why muscians use them over pcs. Plus theres plenty of software like pc ports of Protools that are truely awful - my protools pc setup comes up with some sort of error every other minute, yet to have problems with it on a mac. It's the main reason why im saving cash to go blow it all on a quad core 3Gig xeon macpro And if i want to run games, then i just boot into XP/Vista

Though people saying that you can't get viruses for macs, it's a load of cack. The statement was valid when macs were still using the IBM PowerVR cpu's but now with the change to intel, it's just as easy to create a virus for a mac as it is for a pc.

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by Dom]
dannymccann

13th Nov 07 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for performance i dont think u can beat a pc with mac £ for £. however, for sheer cosmetic looks you will struggle to beat the mac (IMO of course)
Dom

13th Nov 07 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
for performance i dont think u can beat a pc with mac £ for £. however, for sheer cosmetic looks you will struggle to beat the mac (IMO of course)

to be honest, if you're looking at the top end then i think a mac is only slightly more than a pc.

Take the 3Gig Quad-cored Xeon MacPro - it's around 2k. The processor has been released in limited numbers outside Apple, so even if you could get your hands on one it'll set you back £800. Add a graphics card, ram, harddisk, case, psu and you'll be near the 1300-1400 area. With a copy of vista added and you're heading towards the 2k mark.

I think Macbooks/Macbook Pros and Imacs are fairly expensive though, but at the top end of things, the MacPro isn't that badly priced.

Plus the Xeon X5365 is one of the fastest processors on the market, just look at the reviews

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by Dom]
Nic Barnes

13th Nov 07 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats it though, for top performance a mac doesnt need to have half the spec of a pc to out perform it. you may pay more for a lesser spec'd on paper mac, but it would out do a pc in all aspects other than gaming. but would you buy a mac for gaming? nope.

90% or more of cgi in films is all done on macs. most music production is. ive had mac for 3 years or so, never once had a virus. its never crashed. it doesnt error or mess up. it has a 1.25 processor yet ca run 5 programmes such as movie editing, internet, music software plus other things and it never suffers.
John

13th Nov 07 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand what you are saying muppet but macs are just pc's now.

The only speed advantage they have is that the programs can be written for a specific set of hardware and not to support all the bits somebody can cobble together to make a pc, and if leapord handles things better than vista of course.

Again, I would like to point out i'm not anti mac, i'm slightly interested in them but i'm not a graphic designer or music producer and it's a lot cheaper to get a pc to do what i need it to do so i have 0 reason to buy one.

[Edited on 13-11-2007 by John]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll