corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Inside Sport Last Night

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Inside Sport Last Night
Danny P

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 07 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did anyone watch it?

They had a bit about the NFL game coming over here to Wembly at the weekend, and they then got on about Premiership Football going abroad, and interstingly though there's a conference in London this week sometime along the lines of sport globalisation 'how to milk more cash' etc to be attended by Glazer, Kronke, Hicks, Gillet, Kenyon amongst others.

They were on about Man Utd vs Liverpool being played in China to maximise the revenue Can you see Premier League games being played abroad in the furture? And if they did, how would you feel about it?

All I can say is that im very very very happy I dont support a Premier League team
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will never happen, no a competitive league/domestic cup game anyway. Would be riots in Liverpool if they took a big game like that away - and considering how our owners have been acting in regards to our supporters I doubt they'd go along this line.
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That may be true for Liverpool, but other clubs new owners aint quite as accomodating to the fans.

Thinking Man Utd & Chelsea for two. Their owners could quite easily decide its a good idea to make a quick few £££ and agree to move the game abroad somewhere.

Personally think it a daft idea
Tom

23rd Oct 07 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you imagine
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
That may be true for Liverpool, but other clubs new owners aint quite as accomodating to the fans.

Thinking Man Utd & Chelsea for two. Their owners could quite easily decide its a good idea to make a quick few £££ and agree to move the game abroad somewhere.

Personally think it a daft idea

TBH for United fans it will just mean a shorter trip to the game

Agreed with you though, daft idea, and one which I cant see being allowed by the FA and fans.
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but the way Football is going with regards to money, anything is possible
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
Yeah but the way Football is going with regards to money, anything is possible

If it does happen then I expect some very very nasty scenes...a lot worse than when the Glazers struggled to get out of OT that time.

Russ

23rd Oct 07 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maximise revenue? you could charge £100 quid a seat for ManU vs. liverpool and it wouls still sell out
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
maximise revenue? you could charge £100 quid a seat for ManU vs. liverpool and it wouls still sell out

think its more the extra exposure it would create over their so increased shirt and other merchandise sales.

To increase actual ticket revenues it would be much better idea to have extra games played over there, much like that Asia tournament and other ones they do.
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Russ

think its more the extra exposure it would create over their so increased shirt and other merchandise sales.

Aye thats what they were getting at. Apparently the Asia tours etc havn't been bring in as much cash latley as the games are just friendlies, and the clubs dont always play a full team, and the games aint played at 100% like a league game would.

They want younger fans over there to "support" the team, so by letting them see proper games they will hopefully by shirts etc
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see their reasoning behind it, and would probably work, just wont ever happen IMO
JonnyJ

23rd Oct 07 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do premiership teams really need anymore money?
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Do premiership teams really need anymore money?

Not really, but the owners dont see it like that
JonnyJ

23rd Oct 07 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If my team did that (not that they ever will ) then i would seriously consider never going again.

Its just wrong and unfair on the supporters
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If my team did that (not that they ever will ) then i would seriously consider never going again.

Its just wrong and unfair on the supporters

Agree.

Although SOME clubs dont care about supporters anymore
JonnyJ

23rd Oct 07 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye its the same all over now. Just on different levels as you work your way down.

I just cant believe they are still trying to get anymore money. The amount they earn in tv, sponsorship etc is stupid nowadays!
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of course they need money

Players prices and wages cntinue to rise...mainly down to the lower league clubs asking too much, and this means that if Premier League clubs want to stay up there then they need to spend more. Its a never ending vicious circle that wont stop until intervention on a Europe or worldwide scale.
Nath

23rd Oct 07 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course they need money.

How else could they splash £25million on foreign players?
Nath

23rd Oct 07 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Players prices and wages cntinue to rise...mainly down to the lower league clubs asking too much, and this means that if Premier League clubs want to stay up there then they need to spend more. Its a never ending vicious circle that wont stop until intervention on a Europe or worldwide scale.

What?
JonnyJ

23rd Oct 07 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:

What?

We ask to much Nath.........obviously
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Of course they need money.

How else could they splash £25million on foreign players?

Ferdinand, Rooney, Carrick, Hargreaves, Bent, SWP...all £17-18m+ English players. Let alone when players like Richards go up for sale
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

I knew that would get a few of you in here, I expected Danny to say something first TBH

No, what I mean is that with the stupid prices clubs are asking for English talent - and a lot of this is coming from the lower division clubs rather than other Prem clubs (although it does happen) - then the Prem clubs need to make more and more money to buy them.

Prices wont stop rising, so the need for clubs to make more and more money wont either.
Marc

23rd Oct 07 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
TBH for United fans it will just mean a shorter trip to the game

lol
Danny P

23rd Oct 07 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

I knew that would get a few of you in here, I expected Danny to say something first TBH

No, what I mean is that with the stupid prices clubs are asking for English talent - and a lot of this is coming from the lower division clubs rather than other Prem clubs (although it does happen) - then the Prem clubs need to make more and more money to buy them.

Prices wont stop rising, so the need for clubs to make more and more money wont either.

- I was having my tea.

Anyways, im reply, it depends on what you class as being a "Lower league" club. To me thats someone who is down in League 1 & 2 who dont really have much chance of progresing up the leagues at great speed. IE - Huddersfield. I know teams like Huddersfield certainly dont charge over the odds for their young tallent, as the bigger clubs know they can offer way below what they are worth and we have to sell as we are desperate for as much money as we can. John Stead being a great example of this.

The only teams that I can see charging over the odds are the teams in The Championship, who have recently been relegated, and are in need of a quick influx of cash to get them back up there, so they sell a good young player for as much money as they can. They dont want to lose the player, and dont want to waste all the money they have invested in coaching etc so put a high price tag them. Teams in the Premier League are scared that a rival may buy this player, and the price goes up. Thats why players are a lot more exspensive these days.
Cosmo

23rd Oct 07 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah dont get me wrong Im not saying these clubs shouldnt be doing it, theyve brought the player through and can ask for whatever they want for him.

My point mainly is that Jonny said surely we dont need to make more money - but with how football is there days clubs will ALWAYS need to make more and more money if they want to stay up the top.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Inside Sport Last Night 23 database queries in 0.1919088 seconds