corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone built an XE-turbo?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone built an XE-turbo?
deanmcreynolds26

User status: Offline
11th Sep 07 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just wana know if anyone has converted an XE to Turbo

Im gona give it a go, dont wana fork out for a LET and then have to rebuild it or not know condition as its already out a car etc..

so plan is

Buy a cheap XE
Sell the loom/ECU/Manifold and whatever i dont need...

Bottom end rebuild.
new oil pump, oil spray nozzles, oil feed and return for turbo
Forged low comp pistons, arp bolts etc (non leaky sump :lol etc etc
XE inlet cam
New lifters, valve, stem seals etc, port polish the head
enlarge tophat, steel boost hose, 2WD cossie FPR
Roose motorsport hoses..

Not sure what to do for management...
Quite fancy a stand alone management, but not researched any of that yet, maybe phase 3.5

some sort of bigger turbo (not sure what though) will have a look

Its still gona cost me, will just be cheaper initially.. the parts i dont need i could put back on ebay

Gona search the net for a decent XE and build it up over the next year or so!!
Fro

11th Sep 07 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it has been done, Lee mitchell has done a couple of these i believe.
deanmcreynolds26

11th Sep 07 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate has used an XE block when he was running too much boost and melted the engine..

same block just need to tap the oil return.. cant remember what to do for the oil feed, but im sure it will all come to light when i get a look at one..
Iain M

11th Sep 07 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you bought the Nova that Lee Mitchel is working on??

this one

[Edited on 11-09-2007 by Iain M]
Fro

11th Sep 07 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats still there as far as i know arches looked really good when i saw it, colour lets it down though.
Iain M

11th Sep 07 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am getting the 2 posts mixed up Dean wants to do it and Lees post says the lad bought what he thought was a let when it was actually an XE and a turbo added to it.

I'll go away now.
P1CK4D

11th Sep 07 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee M is selling his Phase 3.5 so speak to him regarding that. And no, the Nova owner belongs to someone who lives around the corner to lee, not a member on here. Dont worry Fro, the colour is changing ;P
Iain M

11th Sep 07 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for clearing that up
Jambo

11th Sep 07 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was an xe turbo, i.e an let lol

Just buy a let? Surely cheaper
deanmcreynolds26

11th Sep 07 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
mine was an xe turbo, i.e an let lol

Just buy a let? Surely cheaper

if i bought a LET would be too tempted to just stick it in

this way i can rebuild it to my spec and know whats going on inside the engine.. reliabilty is what im looking for here

Dunno about cheaper! id prob want to rebuild the LET at some point anyway.. just better to do it before it goes into the car! gives me time to sort everything else out
Fro

11th Sep 07 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
Lee M is selling his Phase 3.5 so speak to him regarding that. And no, the Nova owner belongs to someone who lives around the corner to lee, not a member on here. Dont worry Fro, the colour is changing ;P

Yeah i know, and thank god
Scotty C

11th Sep 07 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Muppetsport
TheCam

11th Sep 07 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Monster
Muppetsport

is muppets an XE turbo? I thought it was a LET.
willhouse

11th Sep 07 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is an XE turbo nova in the last TV.

a guy on MK3OC also did exactly what you were on about- making an XE in to a LET, and it worked out a few hundred quid cheaper to make a new freshly built XE/LET than to buy a high millage used LET
deanmcreynolds26

11th Sep 07 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah read that willhouse, thats what made me consider it..
ill copy the post over and see what ppl think!!
deanmcreynolds26

11th Sep 07 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Copied from another site, this is where i decided to go for this!!!

[QUOTE=Dave GSiT;245019]I had this conversation with a few people at PV and I can't even recall the number of times this has come up on the forums so, here is what should end up being a guide for those of you building a high powered Vauxhall...

There are two arguments here....

1. It is cheaper to buy an LET and fit it.
2. A turbo'd XE will never be as reliable as an LET.

Well I can answer number 2 straight away.... If you take the turbo off any turbocharged car, what have you got? A naturally aspirated engine. The physical engines them selves are absolutley no different so with the appropriate changes, a Turbo XE will be fine.

Now, to answer number 1....

Typical scenario is Mr X has a Mk3 GSi with a factory fitted XE. 120,000 miles and a little bit tappy, and now he wants turbo power.

The quickest way is easily to buy an LET and fit the whole thing. Cost around £1200, plus an intercooler, some hoses, induction kit and a chip... its £2k allowing for some odd nuts and bolts.

What this doesnt take into account is when he fires it up for the first time, is the turbo any good? Are the tappets any good? Has it genuinly done the milage the seller claims? Are the pistons any good or has it detonated before fitting? Are the piston rings any good? Are the water and oil pump any good? What about the cambelt? The idler? The Tensioner?

We could go on forever with ??????? by going down this route.

A ha! But we can do all this before the engine goes in. Yes you can. Oil pump, cam belt kit, water pump, turbo recon and a few more bits puts us at £3k. But still with a lot of ????'s remaining. We can try a compression test to get an idea about the rings so thats one down, but checking the bores for wear and pistons for det? Thats taking the head off.

No problem, lets rebuild it. New pistons, gaskets, labour, dozens of other parts later and we are at £4k. At this point, we are satisfied that the engine is good and strong enough to be reliable, and the chip has got us to about 280hp @ around 18-20psi of boost..... But the engine is internally standard...

Now it gets interesting...

Mr X already has an XE in his GSi and to rebuild this into an LET, he is going to need to split the engine open. No problem, if he was doing it properly as per the example above, then he would be splitting his LET open anyway only this way round he has saved him self £1200 from the initial purchase price of the LET. Yes he is still going to need to source some LET parts.... but not as many as you would think....

So with the XE in pieces in front of him, Mr X buys all the rebuild parts as above (lifters, pumps, belts etc) and sets him back a £1k. Now he needs a turbo. A 2nd hand one after a recon will be £500, plus a little more for the tapping of the oil return into the block but this is pennies in comparison.

Of course he is missing the all important boost hoses... but a silicon set can be had for £200 and an Intercooler for £300 (same as example above) so now we are at £2k and running out of things we need. We do need pistons however. Mahle LET pistons can be bought brand new for £400 but hell, high quality forged items are only £500.

Next step is management. Most people will want in excess of £250 for an LET ECU + loom + Air flow meter and thats if you can find one (pretty rare) let along a loom in good condition! But as we have plenty of budget left to spend in comparison to above, lets go to programmable management.

Contrary to popular belief, it is indeed possible to plug a programmable ECU into the OE Vauxhall loom. Its all a Bosche system anyway and is pretty universal. Add £600 for the ECU (yes it can be that cheap for a high quality one).

By now we are just a smidgen over £3k and we have everything we need.... except we have £1k left to spend. If we go back a step or two, we can spend that on steel rods, arp studs, MLS head gasket, some more silicon hoses for the water system and not just the boost system and of course some vernier pulleys to adjust those XE cams to optimum settings.

Now we have both projects completed, lets see how they compare....

Starting with the purchased LET:
Internally standard
Chipped ECU
Some silicon boost hoses.
Inter cooler

Starting with the purchased XE:
Steel con rods and low comp forged pistons
ARP studded block
MLS head gasket
Vernier pulleys
High lift cams (XE cams are more agressive then LET ones)
Programmable ECU
Silicon boost and water hoses
Intercooler

Suddenly turbo'ing an XE makes a lot more sense!

My point here has not been one that it is cheaper to turbo an XE, rather that you get more for your money. Saving the initial purchase price of an LET means when we are spending money on repacement parts to remove the ???'s, we can buy upgrade parts and not just replacement parts.[/QUOTE]

Daimo B

11th Sep 07 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

XE' turbo is a great engine.

Unlike the LET, you go straight for the better manifold, turbo.

Chances are with a LET you have to buy the uprated internals anyway, so go straight ahead and buy a cheaper XE, and buy the better parts.

Im sure all the BIG big power turbos are actaully XE's converted. Im "fairly" sure the one in South Africa (Mk2 astra) is an XE, and im fairly sure the Mk4 astra in brazil was an XE too.

Its something I looked at, and would have gone for turbo'ing an XE. I think you need to drill a few oil ways in the block, but a proper machinest can do it.

If your planning on properly tuning the 2.0 16v as a turbo, IMO, its the better basis to start with. A damn site cheaper to buy, and u've got to buy all the performance parts for the LET anyway, save £1k, get the XE.

IMO.
deanmcreynolds26

11th Sep 07 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well said
EarlofBarnet

11th Sep 07 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate went to do it last year but gave up due to lack of funds. I still have a Courtenay manifold in my shed which he was going to use for the turbo if you want it.
DaNnY_LaD

11th Sep 07 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dean i have thought of this as i got a xe really cheap
Steve
Premium Member

11th Sep 07 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that kids talking crap if you take the turbo of a turbo engine your left with a low compression n/a engine
Nic Barnes

11th Sep 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine is turbo'd xe
chapcorsa

11th Sep 07 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

total vauxhall this month, nova homebrew xe turbo usin cossie bits!!
Daimo B

11th Sep 07 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
that kids talking crap if you take the turbo of a turbo engine your left with a low compression n/a engine

How did the LET come about steve? Was it a newly designed engine, or a modified NA engine?

I think the above (your) comment is stating the bleeding obvious
Steve
Premium Member

11th Sep 07 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the let engine runs lower compression than a normal XE

it probably has different pistons

[Edited on 11-09-2007 by Steve]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone built an XE-turbo? 22 database queries in 0.0182850 seconds