corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My VX220 Turbo

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My VX220 Turbo
Adam_B

User status: Offline
4th Aug 07 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok this is not so much a project or build thread, more a place where i can keep track of everything intresting that might happen car wise also a few of you quite liked my corsa thread so thought i would do another.

First off, bit of history for all you car geeks, from Wikipedia

quote:
The VX220 is a British-built mid engined, targa-topped, 2-seater sports car introduced in the summer of 2000.

It was built for Vauxhall Motors in both right-hand drive and left-hand drive versions at the Lotus Cars plant in Hethel, Norfolk, England. The left-hand drive version was badged the Opel Speedster.

Lotus connection
The VX220 was built alongside the Lotus Elise S2. Its design was based on the Elise chassis, modified to accept a GM engine in preference to the Rover K-series engine used by the Elise. This engine was designed for GM by Lotus, arguably giving the VX220 more mechanical Lotus content than the Elise. It carried the internal model identification Lotus 116 and the code name Skipton for the 2.2N/A version and Tornado for the 2.0l Turbo.

The normally aspirated version used a Vauxhall Astra all aluminium alloy 2.2L Z22SE engine giving 147hp (110kW) in a car weighing 870 kg (1918 lb). The Turbo model, introduced in 2003, used a cast iron block 2.0 L Z20LET engine, producing 200 hp (149 kW) but weighing 930 kg (2050 lb). A final version, the track-oriented VXR220, based on the turbo model, was tuned to give around 220 hp (164 kW) and used 16 in (406 mm) front wheels that allowed the fitting smaller front tyres to give sharper handling.

The VX220 was originally designed by Lotus to have 16" front wheels and 17" rear wheels. Vauxhall decided to fit 17" wheels front and rear for aesthetic reasons. In turn this reduced the handling performance of the car.

The car was hailed by the motoring press as a great drivers' car and won several accolades, with the 2.2 NA (naturally aspirated) version being considered the easier drive of the two standard variants. Some journalists recommended that the Vauxhall car was better value for money than the Lotus (such as Jeremy Clarkson in his 2003 DVD Shoot Out).

Production ended in 2005, with no direct successor.

Right then, 27th March 2007 (my birthday) coming off the M61 at Chorley some woman runs into the back of my corsa, its gets written off and about 100 days later i get a cheque thru for it. In the meantime i have bought the car back and flogged a load of bits and got a nice pile of cash coming on

23rd June, Me and Lisa are on our way back from the Lakes and decide to go to Moorland Vauxhall to test drive a VXT, its up for sale for about £19k which is way out of budget so the plan is purely to have a go and to see if there anygood. I phone ahead and unfortunatly they have sold it, but they have got another one in, which is older and in budget.

So i drive it, its fucking ace. If that was not good enough its an 03 with 900 miles on the clock and 4 stamps in the service book. Salesman also says cos its 4 years old its due a cambelt service, which will be done FOC. I um and ah for 10 mins and then put £300 down. Still not sure about is as were driving off there is some people looking and another vx coming in and some people walking over to it. I feel good

[Edited on 09-07-2008 by Adam_B]
Adam_B

4th Aug 07 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Week later i pick it up and me and lisa go on a tour of yorkshire and the lakes

my mum likes it

First meet at the boatyard just off the M65

First major change, got rid of the oe vauxhall stalks for some TVR style ones from LMF

Couple of weeks on, been out taking some pics

full size front plate looks shite, so i made this one at work today

Also fitted a k&n panel filter and modified the airbox slightly, there are some random tubes and bits in there that i figured dont really do anything so out they came. Car pulls a bit better up at the top end but unfortunatly the car now makes the usual weird turbo noises that were not there before, ah well.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

4th Aug 07 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if I fitted into one properly I would have one as my everyday car

Adam_B

4th Aug 07 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how tall are you? or is it a width issue
Gaz

4th Aug 07 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

awesome adam,

dave is tall...
Lisa

4th Aug 07 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this lisa appears a lot......lucky girl and awesome car
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

5th Aug 07 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
how tall are you? or is it a width issue

im about 6'5 with shoes on. my head sticks over the screen, like jeremy clarkson.
Iain M

6th Aug 07 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice car Adam

P.s Dave is very tall.
Ryk

6th Aug 07 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lush mate lush!! Hopefully see it at the next meet!
deanmcreynolds26

6th Aug 07 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really liking these at the moment, hopefully get myself one..
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

6th Aug 07 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite uncomfortable i think
deanmcreynolds26

8th Aug 07 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can live with it for the handling though...

what do these do the 1/4 mile in? high 13's?
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure on 1/4 mile. Racing in a straight line is gay anyway, corners are where its at
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was Trax this weekend (if you didnt know) and i won a hard top off ebay, woohoo! I wanted to pick it up after trax as i was planning on going on track but the seller could only do sat night so had to take a slight detour, Chorley to Nottingham to Silverstone

will be spraying it when i can be arsed
SAL
Premium Member

3rd Sep 07 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one day soon i will own a vx220, love them soo much yours looked and went lovely yesturday
jr

3rd Sep 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the gaffertape

ace to drive in a strightline in 1st and 2nd

now all i need is my own, and some corners, and a tom-tom
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pugnut managed to get 3rd so you could ask him about that
Joe

3rd Sep 07 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this the first time its been on Track Adam? How did you find it out on the track?

[Edited on 03-09-2007 by joe6886]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Sep 07 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as far as i know he looked in a dealership and there it was
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car was brilliant, still getting used to driving a car that has power from 2k rpm tho, always seem to be picking a gear to high.

The handling is imense, for the 2 or 3 corners i had to myself in the whole 20 min session it was brilliant, its incredibly predictable and adjustable. We were saying to Jr and Fad compared to Lisas evo which you sort of pick where you want it to go and the car takes you there, in the vx you can attack a corner 3 different ways and with a bit of tweaking you can exit the same each time. The suspension imo is edged to being on the road rather than a super smooth track but its still amazing. I went round the outside of an old impreza and an Evo 5 at Stowe!
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Sep 07 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was looking good out on the track and i think jr and fad approved

Whos winning the tomtom game atm

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

me, but in Lisas car
deano87

3rd Sep 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw a convertible BMW E36 going round, with the roof down - did you really need the hard roof, or was it for your own safety?

I'm starting to like these more and more
Adam_B

3rd Sep 07 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The hard top is not easy to put on and off, its designed as a seasonal accessory. Also thats the only place i would leave it so it did not get damaged
Adam_B

1st Oct 07 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Painted my roof today, its come out pretty shit so im gonna have to get it done propery i think looks ok as long as your not dead close tho

masked and primed, i had to fill a bit on it where the previous owner scratched it.

Done

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My VX220 Turbo 24 database queries in 0.1798739 seconds