corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dont try to fill up when your tired.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dont try to fill up when your tired.
TheCam

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 07 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

last night on the way home from the girls i decided to put my last fiver in my car, I couldnt figure out why the nozzle wasnt fitting in properly.
turned out i was trying to put diesel in once i realised, I put my £5 petrol in it and when i went in to pay. I had to pay for the 21p diesel that I used lol, had to search my car for 21p lol
also didnt realise the nozzles for petrol and diesel were different, tis a good idea
Hamish

2nd Aug 07 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

numpty. I think the petrol one fits in the diesel one though which is more harmful
Steve X16XE

2nd Aug 07 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is a good idea to stop sleepy men and women getting it wrong.

Although i think that the petrol will fit into the Derv one.
TheCam

2nd Aug 07 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol anyone else done this?

I've had a few people in my work who have put maybe £20 or £30 worth of the wrong fuel in and end up needing a complete new fuel system, so i was lucky that it didnt fit in the filler neck lol.

[Edited on 02-08-2007 by cam1]
Kurt

2nd Aug 07 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah they probably started it up then realised if you put the wrong fuel in never start it and then they can just drain the tank
Mattb

2nd Aug 07 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we just drain the tank anyway at ours 95% of the time they are fine its only realy cars with rotary pump for the diesel that can throw hissy fits, as the diesel is used to lubricate the seals.
Cosmo

2nd Aug 07 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wasnt there a car programme that part filled the tanks with the wrong fuel, then filled the rest with the right stuff and it still started and worked fine with no damage to the engine?!
Matt L

2nd Aug 07 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
wasnt there a car programme that part filled the tanks with the wrong fuel, then filled the rest with the right stuff and it still started and worked fine with no damage to the engine?!

yeh 5th gear iirc, both cars were fine after a while. think the petrol one came out better tho.
TheCam

2nd Aug 07 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got told that petrol in a diesel engine is a lot more damaging than diesel in a petrol. not sure how try it is.
Matt L

2nd Aug 07 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i meant the petrol car came out better. cause petrol doesnt lubricate (sp) the diesel engine as much so does more damage.
ed

2nd Aug 07 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Petrol in a diesel engine can make the car more powerful if you use the right mixture. Also, a diesel engine is lubricated by engine oil not by the fuel.

Diesel pump nozzles are bigger so that they can flow more fuel as the furst vehicles which used diesel engines were HGV's with large tanks
Rob126

2nd Aug 07 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about putting LRP instead of unleaded? i know that i mixture of both is sometimes used to increase performance.
ssj_kakarot

2nd Aug 07 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol i put £5 worth of diesel into my old swift gti then filled the rest up with petrol when i relized, didnt do it any harm, got a lot better mpg that week aswell lol.

did smoke for a while though lol thick black stuff, must have looked cool.
Planty02

2nd Aug 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I once filled up with optimax by mistake once, was just more expensive though, not dangerous to the engine
csweatherston

2nd Aug 07 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whenever we get someone filled their petrol car up with a bit of deisel. we drain it then store it outback..

if its flammable it'll happily go into my car..aslong as i havent got my cat on.
Lee Wilson

2nd Aug 07 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope I dont do this one day. I sometimes have to check ive got the right nosel after half way filling up just to re-assure myself
danward

2nd Aug 07 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I put £4 diesel in mine about 3 weeks ago! Noticed and then filled it to the brim with Petrol. I spluttered and bogged for about 2minutes but then some petrol got into the engine and it wasn't too bad. It took about 2 weeks until it started running right again! I think if I'd have put too much more diesel in, it would have been dead!
jimbojambojumbo

3rd Aug 07 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hehe a bloke up the road to me used to run a lada on a 60/40 mix of petrol diesel he swore that it run better coz it was designed to run on russian fuel i didnt have the heart to tell him that the engine was a fiat based one and would have run better on pure petrol.

Anyway with the new style common rail diesel engines the damage by petrol can actually damage the whole engine not just the fuel system as someone stated the diesel is also a lubricant so petrol can wash oil from the bores resulting in excess wear on rings etc so i dont recomend anyone try to mix petrol/diesel in a diesel based car as there will be no performance increase diesel was designed in a way that it detonates at a certain temperature caused by compression if you add a more flammable liquid into the engine then detonation will occur too early resulting in poor running not better.
ed

3rd Aug 07 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But a method of making diesel engines produce more power is to combine a high RON fuel with the low RON diesel. The diesel detonates under compression, the high RON fuel doesn't, but when the diesel does combust it causes the high RON fuel to combust. LPG is used with diesel sometimes to do this. Though you would need to be pretty precise to actually get it to work.
ainsley_brader

3rd Aug 07 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Also, a diesel engine is lubricated by engine oil not by the fuel.

But the diesel pump is lubricated by the oil in the diesel which you wont find in petrol!
richc

4th Aug 07 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hamish
numpty. I think the petrol one fits in the diesel one though which is more harmful

yer think they do
Nick-S

4th Aug 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hamish
yes they do but it is infact more harmfull to put drerv in a petrol
Toby
Premium Member

5th Aug 07 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone said at christams time thought it help if you put a fivers worth diesel in a full tank of petrol as it has a lower burning temp it hel[ps the car run better
pdwhelan

5th Aug 07 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
someone said at christams time thought it help if you put a fivers worth diesel in a full tank of petrol as it has a lower burning temp it hel[ps the car run better

I think its the other way around, not to make it run better either but to stop any damage! my cousin does it in his wagon at work. The boss tells all the drivers to put a fiver in. Does diesel freeze or somthing?
davey_jack

5th Aug 07 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LMAO at some of the comments here, if you try to run petrol car on diesel, it just wont run, hardly does any damage at all. HOWEVER if you try to run a diesel engine on petrol, forget lubrication, the air/fuel mixture will be compressed twice as much as it usually does, which can cause the mixture to combust while the piston is still on the compression stroke.
I honestly cant understand people filling up with the wrong fuel, I struggle to see how people can't tell the difference between a green nozzle and a black one! Working for an insurance company doing breakdown cover, I get so many calls from complete retards who have filled their £30k+ cars with the wrong fuel, and then get in right temper when I tell them its their own fault and its going to cost them atleast £200 to get it drained out

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Dont try to fill up when your tired. 22 database queries in 0.1998489 seconds