corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » buy-to-let help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author buy-to-let help
M2RTY

User status: Offline
10th Jun 07 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the house next to my parent's house has been empty for about 7 years, the guy who owns it has a few houses and comes once every few months to check its OK - it is a total mess, needs windows, roof, floor, kitchen, heating, doors, garden and bathroom as it has none!

I have been trying to buy it for the past 3 years to rent out. I heard that someone had bought it for £95k so I doug his number out and rang him yesterday.....he did not confirm it (did not ask outright, just said I was still interested in buying it) and he came round today and said he had it valued for 80-85k as it is (needs about 20k spent on it) but he said I could have it for £75k for a quick sale.

I have already seen a mortgage advisor about getting my own place and can get about £120k. I would have £20k in the bank from my own savings, but this place I would buy to rent only.

I am getting it valued myself in the next few weeks, and if it does come back at say £75k I will need 15% (or so) to lay down as a deposit and £20k or so to do it up

Do I have to get a buy-to-let mortgage or not? Could I get a normal mortgage and let it myself (with proper contracts etc)?

The thing is there are a lot of gypsies round here who are buying houses for silly money as they can afford to and I don't want them to buy it (they would pay £95-£100k easy for it)

need to ring HSBC up tomorrow to book some time with them

Thanks
Colin

10th Jun 07 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iirc for most btl mortgages the lender asks for a 25% deposit............they might not all be like this however, im sure there will be exceptions to the norm.
Colin

10th Jun 07 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also if you get a normal mortgage & rent it out I think you could hit a problem with insurance etc, also if the mortgage company found out they might not be happy. Everythings got to be text book when it comes to owning a house im afraid.
M2RTY

10th Jun 07 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so 25% of the value when you buy it?

I have like 20k available for a deposit thats fine, but would need £20k to do it up also

Colin

10th Jun 07 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could maybe buy it under normal terms, use your money to do it up then remortgage to a btl one once the works done & use some of the increased survey value as a deposit. I think you can do that.

For example, get a 1 year fixed rate deal - £75k mortgage, spend your £20k doing it up then in a year get it surveyed for £110k or whatever & use the equity in it to change to a btl, then get some punters moved in...............I 'think' you can do that!!
Colin

10th Jun 07 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it only me thats wondering why the guy that owns it has let it get into such a state & hasnt developed it & sold/rented it out himself, if you say he has a few houses you'd think he'd have half a brain as to how to make some money from them
M2RTY

10th Jun 07 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Is it only me thats wondering why the guy that owns it has let it get into such a state & hasnt developed it & sold/rented it out himself, if you say he has a few houses you'd think he'd have half a brain as to how to make some money from them

guys mega rich, does not need the money, does not care about making 50k or so on it lol
M2RTY

10th Jun 07 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ps i know the house is good structually as my folks have lived next door for 28 years
Cosmo

10th Jun 07 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some lenders will accept 10% for a BTL deposit, its just a case of seeing what deals are about. Most will want the rent to be around 125% of the mortgage cost though.

Id personally get onto a mortgage advisor and they'll give you the best advice, will of seen a similar situation 1000 times!

New Poll