corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The life and death of N654 PRP.... lots of pics.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The life and death of N654 PRP.... lots of pics.....
Mattb

User status: Offline
9th Jun 07 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally finished off killing my old corsa, so heres a tribute thread to it... This corsa could have been great, but unfortunatley alot of the work that went into this car just wasnt really up to scratch as i will explain....

Here she is as i bought here in september 2006.. looking very good

My first issue with the car was weight... it was a fat biatch, full interior and pleanty of dynamt from the giant sound system that used to live in the boot! So i started it off with a diet.. removed the rear seats and started to remove the dynamat..

After this i spied a carbon fibre bonnet for sale.. more weight loss. fantasmagastic! so i snapped that up and threw it on..

Now for the engine.. it was fantastic with the noise of the throttle bodies, but when it overheated because of a split pipe i decided a block test was in order.... the result, hydrocarbons is the coolant... doh!! time to remove the head!!.. This is where some of the cars dark secrets were revealed! it was fitted with the early type headbolts, without the washers some of the bolts came undone by hand, so i replaced the headgasket and fitted the bolts correctly.. i also found all the timing marks to be waaaaaaay out, someone obviously didnt understand the concept of putting the bottom pully on in the right place
Any ways some pics... she was producing 201 bhp at this point

Back up and running, and with more of the insides stripped, i found the arse end to be sitting rather high - this is on -35mm springs..

out came the tool box, and a set of -60mm springs i managed to nab of steve w for nothing

looking lower.. nice

Shortly after the mot expired, along with the excellent quality powerflow wank exhaust.. i took the car off the road for a month or so and set about some bits and bobs...

Corbeau revolutions to reduce the weight a little..

front strut brace bought cheeeeep

rear strut brace.. also cheeeep

Went back to twin wipers, mainly due to shit visability with the single wiper conversion!

Then it came to fixing the exhaust... no way was i going to powerflow! and that standard manifold was looking very weedy, a quick search on the net and the name 'Simpson race exhausts' popped up, they sounded fast! and their work looked good, so a quick phone call later and i was booked in for a custom manifold, 2.75" bore exhaust with a single silencer! nice..

Manifold..

tailpipe.. nice ans subtle, unlike the 4" abomination powerflow made..

Then i ordered up some longer throttle body trumpets from jenvey, and booked the car in at power engineering for a remap.. results were good, 214bhp.... at the limiter 13bhp gain maybe more if i had the revlimit raised?? we shall never know!

With the car running sweet, i washed her, added a few little bits like magnecore leads off my old calibra turbo, new sparkplug cover, some random thundercats stickers, and painted up the inside.. took a trip out to an industrial estate and took some pics... i was happy

All was good, then i decided the cams in it werent suited to the engine, so swapped them for some standard xe cams.. the car was booked into power engineering for a remap and i was shopping in uxbridge.. This is when i got the phone call....
"Mr brown.... yeh, theres a problem with your car, we havent been able to finish mapping it because it been overheating, it got upto 120 degrees so we aborted, a quick block test has indicated hydrocarbons in the coolant...."

Fantastic, i though.. i remember being dubious as to the state of the head when i replaced the gasket.. my diagnosis.. warped head, a replacement was found, and i began sourcing parts for a large rebuild, including steel rods lairyer cams etc etc etc.. was hoping for 250bhp

Anyway i carried on driving the car while i gathered bits, couldnt care less if the engine blew up, but alas it was the driverside outer cv joint that gave up first.. after buying a new joint and fitting it at work i was back on the road..

However, close inspection of the car while it was on the ramps revealed alot of rot, especially in the chassis area... the plan was to get it all blasted, welded painted and sealed, but 2 days later the inner cv joint failed on the way to work, by this time i had had enough.. the corsa was at this point, condemed to death..

She was towed to Eds farm and to her final resting place..

And we finished stripping her today in spectacular fasion!!

I would like to thank everyone who has helped with the car, be it fixing the bloody thing or indeed taking it apart, Especially Ed, who let me keep it on his farm for so long! And to all those who bought bits off it!!

RIP N654 PRP

[Edited on 14-06-2007 by Mattb]
Ben G

9th Jun 07 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looked nice mate, can you not rescue to gsi skirts or are they smoothed in too much?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

User status: Online
9th Jun 07 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice thread mate

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Dan295

9th Jun 07 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am guessing you sold all of the stuff frm the car
richard_cooper

9th Jun 07 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I loved that car
Mattb

9th Jun 07 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all sold except the spoiler

ed

9th Jun 07 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
looked nice mate, can you not rescue to gsi skirts or are they smoothed in too much?
It's not like they are difficult to get hold of.
Ben G

9th Jun 07 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no but he would've made more money selling them off thats the whole point of stripping
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jun 07 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i swear i saw this last car last year must have been november i think, same colour bonnet car and wheels,

tearing arse up the amersham bypass on the A413 looked very quick
ed

10th Jun 07 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like Matt
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jun 07 at 00:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounded awesome and was goin the opposite way to me, i was like "fuck me! that looked quick"

kinda inspired me to start my current track car, so in a way thers a birth out of this death lol
S1MON

10th Jun 07 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

saw it yesterday what a sorry state
STEvieXE

10th Jun 07 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when were the parts sold??
Mattb

10th Jun 07 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they mostly went to 2 people, i had a list of peeps interested in bits, but thanks to my computer being crap i lost it along when the harddrive decided it didnt want to work...

i do have some odds and sods kicking around, not really worth selling tbh..
RCoughtrie

10th Jun 07 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

such a nice car... what an end

[Edited on 10-06-2007 by RCoughtrie]
STEvieXE

10th Jun 07 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i was down for a few things, but never saw any list for sale... ah well
Marc

10th Jun 07 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awwww! I liked this car too!
Gregor

10th Jun 07 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pics of the rot ?
Sandsy

10th Jun 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the shell still availible?
ed

10th Jun 07 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Matt, just been told that this has to be gone by next weekend. We can't store anything in there anymore mate
STEvieXE

11th Jun 07 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hate parent rules like that, they tend not to like old cars about
Mattb

11th Jun 07 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Matt, just been told that this has to be gone by next weekend. We can't store anything in there anymore mate

i belive tom has it sorted already dude
Mattb

11th Jun 07 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sandsy
is the shell still availible?

why on gods green earth would you want it

if you really are serious, you can have it, as long as you pick it up
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Jun 07 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a thread
Adam-D

12th Jun 07 at 06:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or tried to buy bits off it and got shafted

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The life and death of N654 PRP.... lots of pics..... 24 database queries in 0.0195410 seconds