corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Vodafone claiming VoIP is unsafe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vodafone claiming VoIP is unsafe
John

User status: Offline
7th Jun 07 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you think of that one Robbo, espeically since a major thing against VoIP is the fact it is so hard to tap.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/07/voip_continues/

With companies like google trying to get free wifi everywhere I think the networks will soon take a massive hit.

Companies and individuals who NEED the phone to work of course won't be chancing being able to get free wifi but i'd quite happily use VoIP instead of a mobile if I could get it free 95% of the time.
Robbo

7th Jun 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats very interesting... I know we have gone down the non-VoIP sid eof things unliek T-Mobile with EDGE etc. but to claim its unsafe etc seems a bit much?!
Robbo

7th Jun 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT Fusion runs on the same premise of VoIP as well so surely if they are happy then it must make sense?
Dom

7th Jun 07 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's a pretty safe form of communication and it can't be tapped into (currently, though i wouldn't be suprised it was hacked within a few months) unlike landlines/mobiles, so im not sure why vodaphone have reported it to be unsafe
Perhapps thats the problem, plus it's pretty damn expensive and mobile networks probably don't make a lot of money from voip.....
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 07 at 23:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VOIP as a principle is no less insecure than any other data transmission medium, cellular voice being another example, and that does OK.

The implementation may be poor or may be argued to be poor, but that could be fixed.

The fact that there is very little money for networks in VOIP handsets on large/unlimited data tariffs or metropolitan wi-fi networks I would suspect has more to do with the lack of support.

Orange said the same, hence why the Voda and Orange N95 both have the integrated VOIP app disabled.

[Edited on 07-06-2007 by Ian]
Robbo

8th Jun 07 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
it's a pretty safe form of communication and it can't be tapped into (currently, though i wouldn't be suprised it was hacked within a few months) unlike landlines/mobiles, so im not sure why vodaphone have reported it to be unsafe
Perhapps thats the problem, plus it's pretty damn expensive and mobile networks probably don't make a lot of money from voip.....
Yeah I can honestly not see where the margins would come from on VoIP unless on huge scale so sounds like scaremongering to put people off, which as I said, is a bit wrong really!
Robbo

8th Jun 07 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
VOIP as a principle is no less insecure than any other data transmission medium, cellular voice being another example, and that does OK.

The implementation may be poor or may be argued to be poor, but that could be fixed.

The fact that there is very little money for networks in VOIP handsets on large/unlimited data tariffs or metropolitan wi-fi networks I would suspect has more to do with the lack of support.

Orange said the same, hence why the Voda and Orange N95 both have the integrated VOIP app disabled.

[Edited on 07-06-2007 by Ian]
Dont be silly, the N95 has only been out 2 months, orange arent gonna get it for liek another 20 years
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Jun 07 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They offered me one the other day?
Robbo

9th Jun 07 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

(was a joke)

They seem to take an age to get any new phones in general, hence my surprsie at hearing they alreayd have the N95 out lol
Jambo

9th Jun 07 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oi voda boy watch it

Yes was going to add they have disabled the voip thingy (sorry im no techie)

Cant avoid it forever....
Robbo

9th Jun 07 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll