corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Using someone else's WIFI connection..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Using someone else's WIFI connection..
Patrick

User status: Offline
25th May 07 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I haven't got the internet at home, but last night I was playing around with my laptop and managed to connect to someone elses WIFI connection and continued to surf the net for a couple of hours. Is there anyway of them knowing that I was using their internet connection, and is it classed as theft?
Ian
Site Administrator

25th May 07 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes they can find out if they know what they are doing.

Its illegal under Computer Misuse Act but thats difficult to prove. The two most recent instances of it have resulted in arrest and Police caution for dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment.
Doug

25th May 07 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aslong as you dont download stuff or use any applications that are heavy on the bandwidth then I doubt they would notice TBH.

But if they half a clue about computers it is very easy to tell that someone is on their WIFI!!

I couldnt see it working but maybe go round and say here is £10, can I have use your net to browse a few webpages this month?
Patrick

25th May 07 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they can tell that someone is using their connection, but how would they go about finding out who?
Tim
Site Administrator

25th May 07 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All they'd need is a Pringles tin and an external antenna to track you down (but the police would help out I'm sure with proper equipment).

They would have your MAC address which uniquely identifies your wireless card (unless you change it in software)...
Brett
Premium Member

25th May 07 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Aslong as you dont download stuff or use any applications that are heavy on the bandwidth then I doubt they would notice TBH.

All you'd have to do would go on your router setup and it'd be quite apparant....to me anyway. I always check to see if anyone's had a go at using it.
ssj_kakarot

25th May 07 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh if they havnt even set up a simple wep on the router i very much doubt they would have a clue if your using there net.

just dont go heavy on it and you will be fine.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th May 07 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite sure you would go unnoticed in the vast majority of cases but you can't be sure.
Brett
Premium Member

25th May 07 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
tbh if they havnt even set up a simple wep on the router i very much doubt they would have a clue if your using there net.

true
Ian
Site Administrator

25th May 07 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not necessarily - I turned WPA off as I had some hardware that didn't support it. Within half an hour I had a DHCP lease and therefore MAC address for a start, a bit investigation and I had machine name which in this case was sounded like it related to a human. I'm sure I could have had a poke about and got a bit more.

They might appear stupid, and they might actually be stupid, but if they're not then I wouldn't do anything too private.
mooney

25th May 07 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try mess about with their router,
google the make of there router find the internet address and change the passwords lol
Doug

25th May 07 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If someone did that to mine I would get the police involved if possible
John

25th May 07 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wireless network isn't secured, i'm not stupid, I just don't care enough to set it up.
Russ

26th May 07 at 06:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
My wireless network isn't secured, i'm not stupid, I just don't care enough to set it up.
lol

New Poll