corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Has anyone ever used this before?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Has anyone ever used this before?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
18th May 07 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.stp.com/oil_stop.html

STP Oil Stop Leak.

I've not really got an oil leak on my car. Though the rocker gaskets are leaking a little bit at the front, and a few area's on the engine do seem a little oily (like it's escaping from somewhere), though I don't lose any / much oil at all.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? how does it work? is there any risk it'll gum anything up like rad weld does.

What will happen if I use this, and then in say 200 miles I drain my oil and engine flush my engine, will I lose the effects?

Thanks,

Paul Joslin
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

18th May 07 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely it would be cheaper in the long run to just change the rocker gasket?

not sure how the stuff works but wouldnt use it myself even on a standard engine, let alone yours that revs high and is modified. what if it blocked up an oilway at 7500 rpm?
Paul_J

18th May 07 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh that's why I'm wondering about it, Reading the back it says contains no solid, won't cause blockages etc.

Reason I just thought I'd use it (Rather than just re-seal the gasket) is because my engine is 90,000 miles - so thought if there is anything (which I don't know about) slightly worn then this could help it keep living.

Dave A - what would you suggest doing (apart from completely stripping the engine down) - to help prepare my engine for a few days the nurburgring?

I'm gonna do the usual, full service, engine flush, new oil, oil filter etc.

but just thinking about other things I could do to make sure the engine is running perfectly fine / up to the job.
Scotty C

18th May 07 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why don't you just change the rocker-cover gasket?
Huwsi

18th May 07 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to spam, but I've got the same problem with 14XE, just had it done by garage cos it was having MOT at the same time and it held for about a week and a half, though it's not so bad. Any ideas lads?

[Edited on 18-05-2007 by Huwsi]
Paul_J

18th May 07 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh but what I'm saying is that I want to make sure everything is tip top, not just the visible... the leak from rocker covers isn't that major to require me to take em off and reseal them.
Dave A

18th May 07 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

Dave A - what would you suggest doing (apart from completely stripping the engine down) - to help prepare my engine for a few days the nurburgring?

DONT use engine flush, it causes more problems that it solves an older engines. when you change your oil just use a cheap oil as a flush then fill up with the better oil. for a thrash round the ring, give the coolant system a flush through with some clean water and fill it up with new coolant, then the usual stuff like plugs etc... new brakes/pads might be an idea.
Paul_J

18th May 07 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool cool thanks

What does engine flush do? isn't it like highly corrosive to remove the stuff... could that not cause more stuff getting worn off than good? lol.
Superlite Ltd.

18th May 07 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeh that's why I'm wondering about it, Reading the back it says contains no solid, won't cause blockages etc.

Reason I just thought I'd use it (Rather than just re-seal the gasket) is because my engine is 90,000 miles - so thought if there is anything (which I don't know about) slightly worn then this could help it keep living.

but just thinking about other things I could do to make sure the engine is running perfectly fine / up to the job.

make sure you use genuine filters
Dave A

18th May 07 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cool cool thanks

What does engine flush do? isn't it like highly corrosive to remove the stuff... could that not cause more stuff getting worn off than good? lol.

all of the crap that builds up in the engine could be blocking up tiny cracks and holes in the block/head and other seals or gaskets, flush it out and it could cause leaks, its harmless anyway. also, it basicly thins the oil and breaks down the viscosity of the oil, so lets say you fill up the sump with oil flush, run the car for 15 mins for it to wash round and then drain, all of the bearings, shells, seals, piston rings, lifters.... are coated in a substance which thins out the oil. now fill it up with new oil, and you will have already started to reduce the effectiveness of the new oil as the components are coated in a film of the flush which will mix with the oil.

we stripped a complete engine recently, left it to drain the oil overnight before hand, as we were stripping it there must have been at least 0.5 to 1 litre of oil still in there. same would go for the engine flush.
Steve
Premium Member

18th May 07 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

takes 4 minutes max to take off the rocker cover
Paul_J

18th May 07 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest it's not just that... but interesting to know.

If I have proper pug gasket's do I have to bother with any other sealant? when the cams went in we just sealed it with like a sealant stuff.

just I may take the rockers off to clean them up! then put them back on and seal it properly.
Steve
Premium Member

18th May 07 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no such thing as a rocker cover gasket on the pugs you just have to use sealant

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Has anyone ever used this before? 22 database queries in 0.0156941 seconds