corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT and handbrake question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT and handbrake question
DarkBahamut

User status: Offline
14th May 07 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is a car an MOT failure if the handbrake does not completely lock the rear wheels?

For example, if the car can roll on a very steep hill or be driven (from a standstill) with the hand brake full appiled and the rear wheels not locked?
TomSBD

14th May 07 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt really work like that

only way to tell if its ok is in a roller brake tester
burgess

14th May 07 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the efficiency is low it will fail it doesnt have to lock the wheels on the brake tester but if its not holding I doubt it will have enough efficiency to pass
charlessurr

14th May 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick test is get biting point when its on, shud just sink down at the back, not move unless you apply some power tbh.

Easy to adjust anyhow, look in help
DarkBahamut

14th May 07 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, the car had an MOT only a few days ago and passed, yet the handbrake can't hold the car on the hill i live on (it is a very very steep hill, but still, it should hold) and 1500 rpm on the engine is enough to make it pull away with little complaint.

It had the handbrake adjusted/worked on today but is exactly the same, going back tomorrow to have it all taken apart.

Was just working out if it should even have an MOT in the first place.
burgess

14th May 07 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its had the handbrake adjust how many clicks can you pull it on? if its 4 or 5 its correctly adjusted then it could be down to contaminated shoes ie the wheel cylinders could be leaking brake fluid etc
DarkBahamut

14th May 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesn't come up many at all, probabaly 4, 5 at the most. I think the garage said they had the drums apart today though, so they probabaly woould have noticed those things then?
burgess

14th May 07 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id hope so mate but you never know
Have they checked the handbrake cables?
they could be frayed on the quadrents stopping the handbrake being applied propperly
DarkBahamut

16th May 07 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More fun on this one. Car went back to the garage for another 4 1/2 hours today and they still havent been able to fix it. Ive had to leave it there now and they are ordering everything for complete new rear brakes to see if that will fix it, but they arent convinced theres anything wrong with it now.

Whats a bigger laugh is they gave me an X reg fiesta (horrible horrible car) to use while mines in, and this rolls down the hill too!

My 13 year old corsa never once had this problem.
RichR
Premium Member

16th May 07 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this not a problem with Corsas in general? Mine has never held well on the handbrake on steep hills
RichR
Premium Member

16th May 07 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and thats with full drum and cable rebuilds twice since I've had it
DarkBahamut

16th May 07 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old corsa b never had a single problem on this hill, i had 5 people and a boot full of stuff and it would still hold. This corsa c will roll with even just myself in it. As we have road parking here it would mean that i could never ever park on my own road with it if it isnt fixed.

The fiesta also rolls, but my friends A class and old civic have no problems.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT and handbrake question 22 database queries in 0.0102761 seconds