corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » random brake question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author random brake question
Matt L

User status: Offline
18th Feb 07 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how come on some cars the calipers are at the back of the disks and on some there at the front??

cheers matt
Rhino

18th Feb 07 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Havent a clue mate... just where they have been designed to go.

Not sure if there is reason!
dhdev

18th Feb 07 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The positioning is due to packaging restrictions on the vehicle in question, i.e where they have room to mount the caliper due to suspension components etc. In an ideal world all calipers would be mounted at the rear as this would reduce loading on the hub / bearing assembly when braking.
ste_nova

18th Feb 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol... why would it???

it doesn't matter where they are mounted... but obviously back mounted ones will make more mess as they throw the brake dust upwards
dhdev

18th Feb 07 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imagine if the brake caliper was unbolted from the hub. The disc is rotating and the brake is applied. Now if the caliper is rear mounted it will initially go up, front mounted it will go down. So if the caliper is bolted to the hub this force is then transfered through the bearing to the wheel and then to the road surface. So in effect you increase the loading with a front mounted caliper.

[Edited on 18-02-2007 by dhdev]
Robin
Premium Member

18th Feb 07 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some cars (MGB) originally had leading calipers and later models had trailing ones, thus backing up the above theory.
dhdev

18th Feb 07 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the fact that I work in the development dept of Caparo AP Braking help to back up my statements
broster
Premium Member

18th Feb 07 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dhdev
Does the fact that I work in the development dept of Caparo AP Braking help to back up my statements

not really, dont you get good discount from ap then???
dhdev

18th Feb 07 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

not really, dont you get good discount from ap then???

AP racing were sold off from the AP group some years back, they're now owned by Brembo IIRC. So I don't get discount through work unfortunately, otherwise my car would definately be fitted with their brakes
broster
Premium Member

18th Feb 07 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was going to ask why did you fit compbrake bits

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » random brake question 22 database queries in 0.0074320 seconds