corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » fitting supernovas debaged slatted grill to post 97 without removing bumper?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fitting supernovas debaged slatted grill to post 97 without removing bumper?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
25th Jan 07 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

before i start, i'm the most non-mechanically minded person alive

but im gonna attempt to do this myself if possible lol.

i have just got a replacement front grill for my 1999 sport as i want rid of the silver V and hence just got a normal looking slatted direct replacement grille.

my corsa max power shit haynes manual says i need drop the bumper off... now im wondering if i can do it WITHOUT dropping the bumper off? this also involves removing the old one without snapping the clips as i want to sell it...

is it easy if i undo the screws and jiggle it about a bit? or is it really best to drop the bumper off so i dont snap the clips removing or adding my new one?

ta
JayT

25th Jan 07 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are a bitch to get off mate, me and a mate did mine the other day, unscrew the two srews at the top and try pushing the grille in a the bottom near the bumper, we knock some clips off behind the grille not sure they were doing much though, refitted the grille afterwards and still fitted perfect!
Dean_W

25th Jan 07 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't remove the bumper when I did mine. It is easier if you undo the screws on the top of the slam panel aswell.
Stokie Dave

25th Jan 07 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll do that then see how it goes, is the bumper itself still supported if i undo the top bumper bolts a bit to make it easier to move? as i dont really wanna snap any clips but feck knows how to take a bumper off and get it back on without it lookin lobsided lol

cheers fellas
JayT

25th Jan 07 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

put it this way dave, i got mine of and then on agin without having to remove the bumper so its possible!
deano87

25th Jan 07 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So did I - and it was fucking stiff. Managed to snap 2 of the centre clubs, right under the V on the standard grill.

It can me done Stokie Dave. I can't see why your Max Power Haynes says to do that. I have the normal Haynes which I was following. It says to open the bonnet, take off the 2 screws attaching the grill to slam panel. Undo and remove 2 screws that hold the bumper to the slam panel. They don't really do anything. You'll figure out how to do the rest by looking at your new grill.
Stokie Dave

25th Jan 07 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool nice one, i aint got a new post 97 haynes and i sold my old haynes with my 1993 flair lol

i'll have a play tomorrow
Stokie Dave

27th Jan 07 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done it today anyways managed get the old one off without breaking the tabs (god knows how) but unluckily for me i didnt notice one of the bits where it screws in was already snapped superglue'd it now so i can sell it lol

ballache tho without taking the bumper off!!!

fitted new grille, think its clipped in right but cant put enough presure on without taking bumper off but seems on fine and looks cool

Dean_W

27th Jan 07 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do look 10 times better with a badgeless grille.
Stokie Dave

27th Jan 07 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye its cool, i've got some new numberplates to go on also with gb/euro badge and black borders.. gonna stick them on rather than screw, subtle changes look sweet i think

heres a fotoshop, its too cold go back outside and do it now lol

[Edited on 27-01-2007 by Stokie Dave]
Dean_W

27th Jan 07 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I have on mine

deano87

27th Jan 07 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
done it today anyways managed get the old one off without breaking the tabs (god knows how) but unluckily for me i didnt notice one of the bits where it screws in was already snapped superglue'd it now so i can sell it lol

ballache tho without taking the bumper off!!!

fitted new grille, think its clipped in right but cant put enough presure on without taking bumper off but seems on fine and looks cool

Looking good - will look even better when you've back to blacked your black plastics. Check out my garage!
Robin
Premium Member

User status: Online
27th Jan 07 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for future reference, if you use a thin screwdriver to move the tabs, you won't break any.
corsa_rob

27th Jan 07 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better still halfords bumper spray...takes small part of an afternoon ) for a fiver makes car look new agen
Stokie Dave

27th Jan 07 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye the actual car is completely filthy! lol

when i bang me new plates on, wash it and get the plastics all shiney to match it'll look nice.. hopefully picking up my 60mm suspension kit tomorrow too, tis coming along now only had it a week or so
broster
Premium Member

27th Jan 07 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get some smoked head lights for it to, makes the front end look loads better.....

Stokie Dave

27th Jan 07 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye they're on the cards too and black/anthracite wheels when i can choose a style i like! edging towards softstars but would prefer 15's really.
broster
Premium Member

27th Jan 07 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i may be selling my 15" satin black technomags..........
Stokie Dave

27th Jan 07 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not really likin that style cheers tho
deano87

28th Jan 07 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
get some smoked head lights for it to, makes the front end look loads better.....

Steinmetz grill I want one but 1) Are very expensive and 2) Would look odd on my car not being modified much.

New Poll