corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool in talks with DIC over investment

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Liverpool in talks with DIC over investment
Cosmo

User status: Offline
4th Dec 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been waiting until I heard more until I posted anything up about this, but appears even shareholders are being kept in the dark until the last minute as havent heard a thing yet!

From what I have read though...

- DIC have made a bid of around £450mil, thats £170mil for the club, £80mil to cover current debt, and £200mil for a new stadium.

- It will involve current Chairman David Moores keeping a large share holding (around 10%) and possibly keeping his position as Chairman.

- It will involve Rick Parry staying on as CEO.

TBH this sounds the best investment for us at the moment. We wont be giving away the club to someone who just wants to milk us dry, Sameer al-Ansari, the DIC CEO is a known Liverpool fan, and they are owned by the Royal family in Dubai so plenty of money to invest. And one of the main things...it wont be changing things round too much in the boardroom who have done a good job over the years IMO.

It looks like we wont get 100's of millions to spend like Chelski, which Im glad about, but will atleast allow us to compete for bigger name players which we have never really been able to do before.

Plus it means the new ground can go ahead, and Im hoping they might bring in some of that Dubai vision and make it a larger ground like we originally planned and maybe even something a little different than normal (maybe a liver bird shaped island in the middle of the mersey :lol

[Edited on 04-12-2006 by Cosmo]
mattwhite

4th Dec 06 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i heard somewhere it was going to be the ex-owner of the harlem globetrotters, but im only going by what i have heard.

Would be nice to have the money to compete for the top players though, although i hope they dont start throwing money at the problems they do have, such as £30m on a striker etc...
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that was Gillet who used to own the Globetrotters. He had a bid in but they have granted DIC the exclusive rights to examine the accounts.

I doubt they'll just throw money around, as it is being bought as an investment so doing that isnt a way to make any money. But they will want us as one of the top top clubs in the world, so their branding knowledge and enough money to challenge for top players will be the key.
mattwhite

4th Dec 06 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lets hope then, and hopefully it can be sorted out sooner rather than later, any idea if this is a pretty much done deal or not?
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

meant to be a matter of weeks aslong as they find no problems with the accounts which they are currently viewing. So could be done by the New Year...in time for the transfer window

Also, the Maktoums who own DIC are the 4th Richest in the world...more than Abromavich
mattwhite

4th Dec 06 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds promising, but how much are they willing to invest into the club?
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its unknown really. They will cover the cost of the ground which is the most important thing as will allow us to cover our own costs (something Chelsea will never do!).

You have to remember this is basically the Dubai Royal Family investing in us. When they do something they intend to be the worlds No.1 (Thus Dubai is building the world's largest theme park, the biggest mall, the highest building, and the first sunken hotel, etc.) so I have no doubt if they feel investing heavily in infrastructure and the team then they will make money available for Rafa.

Ojc

4th Dec 06 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats wrong with Anfield? Thought it was a nice stadium.
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Whats wrong with Anfield? Thought it was a nice stadium.

only 45,000 which isnt enough anymore really. Not if we want to bring in the money to compete with the top clubs in the world. Plus we could easily fill a 70,000 seater week in, week out.

There is also no way to expand it anymore without practically changing everything anyway, so no option but to move (its only about 100m over into Stanley Park)
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now been confirmed by LFC
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool Football Club today confirms that it has entered into a period of exclusive negotiations with Dubai International Capital ('DIC') about a possible investment in the club.
No deal has yet been agreed and the detail of any transaction which may or may not include a formal offer by DIC for Liverpool Football Club is still to be confirmed.

The Club aims to keep Liverpool shareholders and supporters fully informed and will make a further statement as soon as possible.

DIC is the international investment arm of Dubai Holding, which owns and manages a diversified portfolio of companies operating in the fields of leisure, healthcare, technology, finance, real estate, research, education, tourism, energy and communications. DIC has a strong track record in both the leisure sector and in the UK. In 2005, for example, it bought Tussauds, the largest operator of visitor attractions in Europe, for $1.5bn. It also owns the Travelodge hotel group. Its parent company owns various London hotels, including the Carlton Tower.

Rick Parry, Chief Executive of Liverpool, said: "This is the latest step on the road of finding the long-term investment that the Club needs. DIC is a potential investor with the resources and philosophy that we believe could make them an ideal partner. Already they have demonstrated a full understanding of, and respect for, the club’s heritage and values. We also believe they share our passion for success. In particular, DIC believes in investing in the businesses it acquires. This is very important in terms of the proposed new stadium, which is key to plans for the regeneration of the local community. On the pitch, Liverpool remains focused on winning and, here again, this is all about doing a deal that gives us the long-term resources to do that."
Hammer

4th Dec 06 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Liverpool start to do a Chelsea will you stop supporting them?
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
If Liverpool start to do a Chelsea will you stop supporting them?

I could never stop. Was born a stones throw from Anfield. Come from a family of Liverpool fans going back as far as I can remember. Have been going to Anfield for years and years.

BUT, I wouldnt be happy if we went out and spent hundreds and hundreds of millions on a squad, and neither would 95% of Liverpool fans. Its just not what we are about as a club, and never have been.

The ability to get our new ground built. Cover debts. And to be able to compete against the likes of Utd, Chelsea and the Spanish + Italian clubs for the top top talent is what Im hoping for. And that is what we are getting by the sounds of it.
Hammer

4th Dec 06 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither was Chelsea before the sugar daddy came, but i know what your saying.Tricky one, you want financial backing for your team but you don't want to buy all the talent and sit it in the stand leaving an un-level playing field.

The amount of foreign investment must be starting to become a worry as well for the Premiership, they won't hang around forever these billionaires.

Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chelsea was bought as a play thing by Roman though.

Liverpool is more being bought as an investment (longterm though) but the investment arm of the dubai royal family. It hasnt been bought personally by the royal family as a play thing!

Thats why we wont have hundreds of millions given to us year on year to buy titles!
Hammer

4th Dec 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could count the amount of people i know to have made money out of football on one hand and have fingers spare!

Unless they're going to use the Liverpool brand in different industries or in some new innovative way they won't be making anything out of it and if they did would you want them coming putting money in and walking away after 10 years and leaving with more than they invested?
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Unless they're going to use the Liverpool brand in different industries or in some new innovative way

exactly mate!

They are buying up a lot of businesses over here (Travelodge, Tussauds, London Eye, etc.) plus are exapnding some of their current businesses. So makes sense to have a medium as large as a football club (which has global appeal), especially with the current TV rights, etc.

There isnt really alot of money to be made in football clubs, as the money you'd have to spend to get to the top is immense, but the other benefits to an investment firm like DIC are huge.
Hammer

4th Dec 06 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i know all about the emirates strategy to branch out before the oil runs out, they own most of daimler chrysler as well now from what i can remember.

It happened to my club so i know you can make money off of it. Fergus McCann bought the club on the brink of bankruptcy, literally with the bailiffs inide Parkhead ready to lock the gates. He built a superb 60,000 seater stadium bought us players like Cadete, Van Hooijdonk and Di Canio then left with a huge profit. The majority of fans, myself not included, absolutely despise the man and he is vilified by most Celtic fans for it.

Football fans can be a strange bunch if you look at it that way, I would bet most Liverpool fans will feel the same if they come put money in are successful but eventually walk away with more then they originally invested, almost feeling as if they are stealing from their club.
Cosmo

4th Dec 06 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool is no where near bancrupcy though, and TBH have been a very successful club over the last few years. So the margins to make a profit arent really there, especially with the amount Moores is valuing his share at.

I understand what you mean though. But aslong as any investors intend to provide us with a new stadium and invest in us over the next few years I couldnt care less if they then sell us on for a profit. I have a feeling that isnt the case though, as Moores has been very particular in who he sells to, and has thrown a load of offers over the last 3 years out of the window as wasnt in the best interest of the club.
Marc

5th Dec 06 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can imagine the stadium now
Cosmo

5th Dec 06 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Can imagine the stadium now

I am seriously hoping its built on a Liverbird shaped island off the Mersey

But TBH just think it'll be what weve planned, pitty as would of liked it to be atleast 70k.
Marc

5th Dec 06 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking Arab style towers either side. As long as you don't get another Emirites
Tom

5th Dec 06 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am liking the way they are positioning this as a 'partnership', if we keep the board this is more an old style investment in the club where the board will get the backing and the ass kicking if it goes wrong, not as it seems with chelsea like abramovic has final say (scheva) and get's too involved.

Be nice to have a bit of extra cash and no huge debts for stadium looming over us.

Liverpools a big big brand worldwide and the fact it is a good business aswell is obviously gonna enable us to attract investment but also keep some control.
Cosmo

5th Dec 06 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, keeping some of the current board is def the way forward, and I think thats why it has taken so long to find the right investor (3yrs now). They know the traditions of the club and the way it should be run.
Tom

5th Dec 06 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the kraft family were going to get it, glad it's not an american tbh.

Will be funny to see if it goes ahead a load of arab's in the stands

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool in talks with DIC over investment 23 database queries in 0.1095431 seconds